• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mr_Lee_PHD said:
    HIP HOUSE

buggin

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    LaserWolf said:
    pickwick33 said:
    I can say with certainty that auto-tune doesn't pop up in any of the music I normally listen to, so it may as well not exist. Maybe if I were more up on teen-idol dance music, then it would be more of a reality??

l don't go to clubs. l don't listen to commercial radio. l don't watch much tv.

l mostly listen to the music l like.

When l was young and out and about, in the 70s and 80s l heard lots of top 40 and trends of the moment, and openly hatted lots of it. Also used to hate classical and free jazz. How stupid s that?

Today, lots of what l used to hate gets plenty of love, from the monkeys to Elton John.

l will still turn the radio off f l hear some Alvin Lee inspired extended rock guitar solo, but most new stuff l give a quick listen to then move on.

lf some OhWayOh tribal drumming turns up in a commercial l know it will soon be over and pay it no mind.

What l mean is, hating whole genres or catalogs is not wise.

you are lucky if you get to listen to music you like exclusively. I however do not. I have to listen to the choices of my coworkers and patients...when you HAVE to listen to some bullshit you dont like, you do end up HATING it...is it wise to do so? Who cares? I try to filter it out, pretend it isnt there, but it is...when you are a music junkie/nerd it is hard to ignore music, because you have such an affection for it...so when you hear music that you hold in your opinion as shitty...you tend to develop a strong opinion of it.

l hear you.
    l used to work in a repair shop where we listened to live Dead tapes, Phil Collins and whoever sang Roxanne.
    Not my favorite stuff.
    Also listened to Nails, Hot Rise and Mary Black who l might have missed otherwise.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    bassie said:
    tabira said:
    Paul Simon

surely not 50 ways to leave your lover, late in the evening and such like? real jamz yo.

simon and garfunkel cover versions are a guilty pleasure and constantly surprise

DocMcCoy said:
    Auto-tune is just like DX7 presets and heavily gated snares - in ten years' time, even the best of the music that leans so heavily upon it now will sound horribly dated (pending the inevitable auto-tune revival ten years after that). I only mentioned it because it's just the most obvious signifier of a particular paradigm, musically speaking, whereby, even when the music itself is often far from bad, it still sounds bad.

i dunno, as much as i hate the autotune stuff (and i'm speaking specifically about Kanye "808s and heartbreak" and all dervatives thereof) i think there are some jams that definitely cut the mustard. I can see myself digging out bday sex in a revival steez in 2020, i can picture a dancefloor going nuts for autotune nostalgia. Its a bit like the 80s thing, people hated on 80s sounds for years and now those records go for money. It never "sounded bad" before, it just just wasn't appreciated by a certain generation, and i think thats maybe the 80s kids who were saturated with it when they were growing up, and are now nostalgia buyers.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    anything local DJ Cutloose plays...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,896 Posts
    Can't think of one genre that doesn't have at least a single tune I would listen to. I do of course have favourites, because I know what kind of chords I like and what kind of voices and instrumentation over the top - but in the right context, even stuff that reads like it would get the finger-crucifix, I can find pleasantly surprising. Not "Going out to buy this NOW!" surprising but not "D.E.L.E.T.E.".

On the other hand, I couldn't listen to one genre all night, it starts to get samey.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

On the other hand, I couldn't listen to one genre all night, it starts to get samey.

QFT.

• HumanacatHumanacat 177 Posts
    at the moment, anything playing on Italian radio including their weak imitations of American pop to their horrid selection of 90s pop rock from the U.S.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I gotta think hard about what I hate. That's not fun.

I guess I hate that shit Mormons clog to. I don't even know what that is but I'm sure I hate it.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    I actively hate medieval rock which is "kind of big" here in Germany:

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    bassie said:
    tabira said:
    Paul Simon

surely not 50 ways to leave your lover, late in the evening and such like? real jamz yo.

simon and garfunkel cover versions are a guilty pleasure and constantly surprise

nah, how could beat-heads hate the writer of Take me to the Mardi Gras?

Not sure if I'm speaking for Bassie, but I was just knocking the totally unintentional effect that Simon's multi million selling Gracelands had on corporate-land incidental music. Soon after it's success every European airline or multi-national wanted to sound like their HQ was based in Senegal or Cambodia. I don't pretend to know anything about their cultures, but all too aften you see this lazy mish-mashing of images with sound - Chinese looking kids running in front of some Buddhist temple with vaguely african music and chanting in the background - as if everyone outside of the EU and North America inhabits a generic "world zone". "World music" - now there's a term I can't stand. It's very insulting - "3rd world music" without the "3rd"....and like Rock and Jazz don't come from "the world" and our ability to learn new muscial genres stopped at Bossa-Nova....

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    bassie said:
    tabira said:
    Paul Simon

Speak to DB Cooper, he shares the same gene as you that makes Simon sound good.

I like S&G, I feel no guilt about that.
    Simon's solo shit is shit to me.

Edit - I don't hate the man, I can't stand the music.

As for the watered down multi-culti sound, yea, that doesn't help.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    PAUL SIMON ISN'T A GENRE HE'S A WAY OF LIFE

haha! Exactly!
    We all have the practioners of this lifestyle in our cities but if I could draw your attention to a specimen that I think most Strutters will understand: the Tim Robbins character in High Fidelity.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    bassie said:

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    bassie said:
    haha! Exactly!
    We all have the practioners of this lifestyle in our cities but if I could draw your attention to a specimen that I think most Strutters will understand: the Tim Robbins character in High Fidelity.

MY COOKING SMELLS ARE DELIGHTFUL. COME SEE ABOUT ME AND JULIO DOWN BY TEH SCHOOLYARD. YOU JUST MAD 'CAUSE YOU'RE THE BOY IN THE BUBBLE. DEALTH!

Is that bubble sound-proof?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    you are lucky if you get to listen to music you like exclusively. I however do not. I have to listen to the choices of my coworkers and patients???when you HAVE to listen to some bullshit you dont like, you do end up HATING it???is it wise to do so? Who cares? I try to filter it out, pretend it isnt there, but it is???when you are a music junkie/nerd it is hard to ignore music, because you have such an affection for it???so when you hear music that you hold in your opinion as shitty???you tend to develop a strong opinion of it.
    l hear you.
    l used to work in a repair shop where we listened to live Dead tapes, Phil Collins and whoever sang Roxanne.
    Not my favorite stuff.
    Also listened to Nails, Hot Rise and Mary Black who l might have missed otherwise.

It's funny, the tradeoff involved when you're working with "other people's" music (and they with yours).

I know I already have a rep as the resident rap hater (or "hatter") of the Strut, but I used to know the Pharcyde album with "Passin' Me By" like the back of my hand.

And even today, I'll be walking down the street and that "spring's on it's way..." song might randomly pop into my head.

Why do I know it so well? Because one of my coworkers from my record-store days played the HELL out of it, that one summer...

(And I'm sure right now somebody I used to work with is getting a Link Wray earworm and cursing me for putting it there, fifteen years ago, but it be's that way sometimes.)

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    pickwick33 said:

I know I already have a rep as the resident rap hater (or "hatter") of the Strut, but I used to know the Pharcyde album with "Passin' Me By" like the back of my hand.

And even today, I'll be walking down the street and that "spring's on it's way..." song might randomly pop into my head.

Why do I know it so well? Because one of my coworkers from my record-store days played the HELL out of it, that one summer...

(And I'm sure right now somebody I used to work with is getting a Link Wray earworm and cursing me for putting it there, fifteen years ago, but it be's that way sometimes.)

I would probably hate rap too, if that album had been my chief exposure to it.

b/w

I certainly don't think of you that way; I see you as somebody who's never been interested in rap, and I've got no beef with that. The real hatters are the little dudes who behave like jilted ex-boyfriends towards the genre.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I would probably hate rap too, if that (Pharcyde) album had been my chief exposure to it.

Ha! I should mention that rap was being played on a regular basis in the store, since that genre sold so well (and most of the staff, minus me, were hip-hop fans), so from '92-'96, I heard 'em all as they came down the pike, from Dr. Dre all the way down to instant has-beens like Arrested Development. And it wasn't just the one Pharcyde record, either. Even today, "I shaaaallll pro-ceeeeeed" or "oh baby, I like it rawwww" or even the mere sound of Guru's voice will randomly haunt me, mentally, like an old ghost.

But this one guy I was working with totally LAID on Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde when it was out. Then he left, and I'm happy to say I haven't heard it since then...

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts

if the music requires a computer in order for it to be created (not just uses a computer for convienece, time saving, or cost saving measures, but actually NEEDS it to exist) and perfromed???I hate it with a passion that cannot be measured with words.

i actively hate you...

awwwww...I'm sorry I hurt your feelings.

I like some computer generated music...bjork gets a pass cause she can do her computer music with accordians and pump organs and shit. She is so hard she doesn't even need 'lectrcity.

Tou actively love me and my opinions. You know it, don't be shy. Your erection for me is showing through your JNCOs

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    I actively hate rap-metal. You can offer up Body Count or Fight For Your Right To Party or the Judgement Night soundtrack or whatever and I will tell you they all suck.

bassie said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    bassie said:
    tabira said:
    Paul Simon

Speak to DB Cooper, he shares the same gene as you that makes Simon sound good.

I like S&G, I feel no guilt about that.
    Simon's solo shit is shit to me.

Edit - I don't hate the man, I can't stand the music.

As for the watered down multi-culti sound, yea, that doesn't help.

haha. thanks for the clarifying remarks. some how he's allowed in my privaterkopfgarten, not sure why, maybe the chevy chase video

as for barbara streisand, if i could pay to have all her music wiped from the history of the earth, i would

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    barbara streisand

Ignore the image and take each tune in isolation. I tell thee, she slays "Evergreen" in it's OG format.

A good song helps, mind.

Need I mention that sartorially this is not a good look doe.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    reggaeton, autotune nonsense, 2000s rnb.

• Options
    I don't hate but I try to avoid what I call the "$hitty F-ing pen." example: Alice In Chains

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    lilmonstu said:
    I try to avoid what I call the "$hitty F-ing pen." example: Alice In Chains

IMO Alice in Chains have aged better than most 90's rock bands ... I like them more now than I did then.

• Options

I tried to think of a better example, but I don't know much about that type of rock in general. I should have just said that I like soulful music that can be listened to with friends and family.

• Options
    SoulOnIce said:
    lilmonstu said:
    I try to avoid what I call the "$hitty F-ing pen." example: Alice In Chains

IMO Alice in Chains have aged better than most 90's rock bands ... I like them more now than I did then.

what lyrics do they have that are well written, i will check it out?