Genres you actively hate

Comments

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    m_dejean said:

I'm waiting on this damn 45 to arrive in the mail from down under and it's taking ages :(

??????

• JazzsuckaJazzsucka 720 Posts
    pcmr said:
    Horseleech said:
    Zouk
    zouk soukouss

it's ridiculous how DJing african music could be two totally different spectrums
    and the 'club' zouk makes reggaeton sound like gabriel garcia lorca

I'm with you guys here. I even live in a place, where you have to hear this shit when you go to the grocery store, or walking in the streets. It's just horrible. I can't believe that the original noble French Caribbean styles of music mutated into this synthy bubblegum turdery. Its like watching an African C-movie version of a J Lo romantic comedy.

• DJ_WubWubDJ_WubWub 874 Posts
    Psytrance
    Death Metal,grindcore,hardcore
    Euro house techno.
    Modern folk roots Ben Harper (lovely dude first couple of Lps Ok) was responsible for spawning alot of imitators e.g. John Butler,Xavier Rudd
    Free Jazz with few exceptions
    Autotune Hip hop
    Most Aussie hip hop (sorry fellas)

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    modern merengue that's super fast and annoying
    huayno and all other modern harp based semi traditional synthattacks

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    stonesthrow

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    Soca?!?! If you can't enjoy yourself at a soca party where they are playing some Machel, then G*d help you.

• faux_rillz said:
    stonesthrow

its funny, i'm quite sick of madlib and i think the stonesthrow stable of mc's weighs heavily on the mediocre to doo doo on a stick dot jpeg, but i like what they're trying to do as a label, i just dont think im fully aligned w/ their aesthetic. (behind an ethos vs behind an aesthetic maybe? i dont know)

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    if the music requires a computer in order for it to be created (not just uses a computer for convienece, time saving, or cost saving measures, but actually NEEDS it to exist) and perfromed...I hate it with a passion that cannot be measured with words.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    stonesthrow

Even that Biggie blend Kon did with Dam Funk?

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    One thing I've learned as I've grown older is that music - particularly music you may have hitherto dismissed - will always find a way to surprise you. If you'd asked the 20-y-o me what I thought of country, for example, I'd have said I hated it. The here-and-now me would give you a very different answer.

I may dislike certain songs or performers, or certain prevailing trends like auto-tune, and there are certain kinds of music I'm largely indifferent to, but I can't honestly say I actively hate entire genres. The idea of a whole genre of music without any redeeming features whatsoever (even ones you may not be aware of) seems really strange to me.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I actively hate the genre of music fan who so openly whines about auto-tune. In fact, I always read/hear such whining as if it has been auto-tuned.

That, and I genuinely love auto-tuned soca.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    Cosmophonic said:

I think I might have to Bassie on Drum & Bass, simply because its the one genre where I have found the LEAST amount of songs to actively enjoy. When I first moved to the UK and heard DnB everywhere I thought I'd stepped into a time-machine, like "this shit still exists??"

I think my appreciation of dubstep stems from the fact that it was such a breath of fresh air when it came on after midnight compared to the usual DnB pill-frenzy.

theres dopeness in both genres. however "when dnb goes bad" or "when dubstep goes bad" and that chainsaw bass starts up, then we soulstrutters hurl and run like children.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Auto-tune is just like DX7 presets and heavily gated snares - in ten years' time, even the best of the music that leans so heavily upon it now will sound horribly dated (pending the inevitable auto-tune revival ten years after that). I only mentioned it because it's just the most obvious signifier of a particular paradigm, musically speaking, whereby, even when the music itself is often far from bad, it still sounds bad.

There's a strange kind of plasticky artifice to the sonics on a lot of modern pop music, whether it's Katy Perry or T-Pain, that makes it very difficult to listen to, at least for me. It sounds even stranger when these values are coupled with the 60s-retro/fauxtown stylings of the last three or four years. There's something odd about people using high-end computers to replicate valve amps, vintage compressors and analog tape. Especially when so much electronic music of the 60s and 70s, which was often dismissed as being cold or mechanical, and which set out to sound artificial anyway, paradoxically has much more warmth than some equally contrived pop tune that's been mixed down using the Instant Winehouse plug-in.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yet, this kinda stuff still kicks ass IMO...

And of course this auto-tune classic...

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I can say with certainty that auto-tune doesn't pop up in any of the music I normally listen to, so it may as well not exist. Maybe if I were more up on teen-idol dance music, then it would be more of a reality??

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Lord I hate P H I S H.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    if the music requires a computer in order for it to be created (not just uses a computer for convienece, time saving, or cost saving measures, but actually NEEDS it to exist) and perfromed...I hate it with a passion that cannot be measured with words.

yeah, fuzk an electrical current altogether. UNPLUGGED OR DEATH!

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Yet, this kinda stuff still kicks ass IMO...

And of course this auto-tune classic...

Yeah, the Jamaicans have been putting auto-tune to good use. It works really well in Mavado's "Dying" too.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    breadwinner said:
    THIS:

Holy crap. This is too evil to enjoy ironically or as a cautionary example. It is violently and aggressively bad music.

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts
    tabira said:
    Paul Simon's Graceland.

and all derivates thereof

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    tabira said:
    Paul Simon

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

There's a strange kind of plasticky artifice to the sonics on a lot of modern pop music, whether it's Katy Perry or T-Pain, that makes it very difficult to listen to, at least for me.

It's that fuckin' hyper-compressed-to-brickwall-limiter mastering. God forbid anyone in here should be subjected to an entire Red Hot Chili Peppers record, but that shit is almost avant-garde in how little it sounds like anyone anywhere playing any real instrument; not that "realness" is by any means a sine qua non -- wood, metal, meat, electricity, whatever -- but when that's the stated intent and you end up with this, welllll ...

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    GABBA

HIP HOUSE

DUBSTEP

BOYBAND SCHITT

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    tabira said:
    Horseleech said:
    Zouk

Not sure if it's Zouk related but I hate all that insidious corporate "ethnic" music with african drums and "tribal" chanting that spewed out in jingles for the BBC, British Airways and other huge corporations to say "we're hip and don't exploit". It's been endemic ever since Paul Simon's Gracelands.

This is a pet peeve of mine too. They use it on public television a lot - that sort of formless 'world' music with vague chanting and distant drums. It tries to invoke something real, but couldn't be more fake.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    I can say with certainty that auto-tune doesn't pop up in any of the music I normally listen to, so it may as well not exist. Maybe if I were more up on teen-idol dance music, then it would be more of a reality??

l don't go to clubs. l don't listen to commercial radio. l don't watch much tv.

l mostly listen to the music l like.

When l was young and out and about, in the 70s and 80s l heard lots of top 40 and trends of the moment, and openly hatted lots of it. Also used to hate classical and free jazz. How stupid s that?

Today, lots of what l used to hate gets plenty of love, from the monkeys to Elton John.

l will still turn the radio off f l hear some Alvin Lee inspired extended rock guitar solo, but most new stuff l give a quick listen to then move on.

lf some OhWayOh tribal drumming turns up in a commercial l know it will soon be over and pay it no mind.

What l mean is, hating whole genres or catalogs is not wise.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    pickwick33 said:

l don't go to clubs. l don't listen to commercial radio. l don't watch much tv.

l mostly listen to the music l like.

When l was young and out and about, in the 70s and 80s l heard lots of top 40 and trends of the moment, and openly hatted lots of it. Also used to hate classical and free jazz. How stupid s that?

Today, lots of what l used to hate gets plenty of love, from the monkeys to Elton John.

l will still turn the radio off f l hear some Alvin Lee inspired extended rock guitar solo, but most new stuff l give a quick listen to then move on.

lf some OhWayOh tribal drumming turns up in a commercial l know it will soon be over and pay it no mind.

What l mean is, hating whole genres or catalogs is not wise.

you are lucky if you get to listen to music you like exclusively. I however do not. I have to listen to the choices of my coworkers and patients...when you HAVE to listen to some bullshit you dont like, you do end up HATING it...is it wise to do so? Who cares? I try to filter it out, pretend it isnt there, but it is...when you are a music junkie/nerd it is hard to ignore music, because you have such an affection for it...so when you hear music that you hold in your opinion as shitty...you tend to develop a strong opinion of it.

• if the music requires a computer in order for it to be created (not just uses a computer for convienece, time saving, or cost saving measures, but actually NEEDS it to exist) and perfromed???I hate it with a passion that cannot be measured with words.

i actively hate you...

• DELETE

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Dubstep
    Drum N Bass (thought the old Metalheadz stuff was cool for a while but...nah...)
    any off shoot of the above i.e. Grime, UK Bass or whatever...2 Step...UK Funky ...ehh...

Ghetto Tech, Baile Funk were all cool but not really my thing in all....

These days I'd rather bang out to some Ron Trent, Rick Wade, Rick Wilhite, Osunlade, Kirk Degiorgio and stuff like that...more soulful to me than the above.