Turntable Repair (generally and NY-related)

UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
So, one of my 1200s is having some issues. It seems like it may just need to be oiled, but it also might be a motor issue. Basically, either something is keeping if from spinning properly/smoothly, or maybe the torque just isn't there. when im cueing or cutting, the platter frequently slows down, instead of continuing to spin at normal speed under the slip mat. The platter also feels kinda tight, like if I kill the motor or just push it along, instead of the speed slowly dropping off until it stops, it will start to slow down, but once at a certain speed, it just kind of jerks to a stop, again as if the spindle needed to be oiled.

So anyone seen this before? I'm pretty handy with electronics/soldering iron/etc, so if I can open it up and fix it, I wouldn't mind doing that and maybe fixing the little light too. If it's relatively complex, I'll take recommendations on repair spots in NYC.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The motor should never need oil of any kind, so that's not the issue. I'm guessing it's fairly serious since this virtually never happens to 1200s.

Mikey's Hook Up in Williamsburg used to know somebody who worked on 1200s, you might try them

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    The motor should never need oil of any kind, so that's not the issue. I'm guessing it's fairly serious since this virtually never happens to 1200s.

Mikey's Hook Up in Williamsburg used to know somebody who worked on 1200s, you might try them

dude. let me have a look at it. bring it to grnyc and i'll figure it out. might be a number of things. probably just needs the pitch replaced.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    Thanks dudes.

Tom, good looks on the offer, may take you up on that. You really think the pitch shift could cause tightness like this:

Unherd said:
    The platter also feels kinda tight, like if I kill the motor or just push it along, instead of the speed slowly dropping off until it stops, it will start to slow down, but then it just kind of jerks to a stop, again as if the spindle needed to be oiled

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    the motor is magnetic. if you feel something dragging, then theres something inside causing it to drag. does it have a uk voltage switch? could be lots of things. i can't really tell until i see it.

Show it to Tom, but DON'T oil it in the meantime, that will only cause more problems.

• Horseleech said:

You sure about that? I've been in the habit of lubing the spindle w/ a couple drops every 1 1/2 to couple years as thats what i've always learned from those more knowledgable. Even states so in the manual.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    ^^ yeah i as well was going to mention that even in the manual for your 1200 it states to keep it oiled, which is really the only maintenance you (end users) can do to a 1200, i believe they recommend SFW 010 spindle oil, ironically i just read my manual 3 days ago..lol

then again that doesnt mean that is your overall issue, but i dont know of many people that oil their 1200's on a regular basis.

• ayresayres 1,452 Posts
    Rock and Soul Electronics does a great job

Snuffdaddy said:
    Horseleech said:

You sure about that? I've been in the habit of lubing the spindle w/ a couple drops every 1 1/2 to couple years as thats what i've always learned from those more knowledgable. Even states so in the manual.

Guess I'm wrong, then. I was reading online last year (lost my manual) when having problems with a 1200 and seem to remember a strong 'do not oil' warning as the drive is magnetic, but maybe I'm tripping.

• PepesoLPepesoL 67 Posts
    as well as oiling the spindle try adjusting the break control underneath the platter. This controls the tension of the start/stop button. It looks like a blue button with a groove suitable for a phillips head screwdriver.