Cipha Sounds on the Tunnel classiques

124»

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    phongone said:
    So which one of you dudes has actually been to the Tunnel?

Way down in the jungle deep!

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    who specifically are these "im buggin, im flipping" rappers you are referring to? having a brainfart here, missing the reference.....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    D.E.L.E.T.E.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

hating on a single memph bleek track or whatever is the equivalent of being like ???lol at disco fans liking cher songs!!??? like stfu & just try to deny ???take me home??? u fake ass johnny come lately disco / tunnel rap fan

this + cmr + no limit = high school. biggest shit ever. even cru???wtf is wrong w/ pronto?? this stuff was the last time ny rap was worth anything & yall are shitting on it, makes no damn sense.

the ???AAHHHH! I???M BUGGING! I???M FLIPPING! I???M CRAZY!??? nonsense

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    For me, that Cher track is a total cheese-fest. Many times I???ve found myself in a club, dancing to something that I don???t particularly like. To assume that because not everybody, while drunk, with friends or a girl, holds the same standards that they would in sober conversation or flipping through racks in a record shop, doesn???t mean that cheese is therefor universally acknowledged as brilliant.
    People are just good at holding conradictory ideas, such as being able to enjoy dancing in a club to music they fully admit to being a load of cr*p, rather than being a killjoy; Whut? Missing Linx used this sample first! Dre is a biter, and I???m outta here!

so u just grit yr teeth & pretend to have a good time? lol @ u

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    down bottom of course sounds corny if yr looking at it from a bout it bout it perspective, the same way everyone in the tunnel who wasnt going down south was like 'wuh???' when flex dropped 'bout it bout it.' That doesnt mean they're right. down bottom is a straight up classic swizz track! in chicago, all this stuff was bumping up against each other ... the new york shit, the southern shit, it was all grimey rap music that folks would go crazy for, so this has obviously made an impression on how i approach it .... but all the same, i dont know how u can read through cipha's memories & not get a really interesting story about how flex was feeding off a crowd & style that was trendsetting for huge parts of the country. those lox records are so parochially new york, they couldnt have been made anywhere else ... its so crazy that they ended up selling any units at all on the national stage, but as a constellation of styles the tunnel sound had such a huge impact that you had stars coming out of one basic location.

'flesh of my blood' & jay z vol 3 were huge cds when i was in h.s. -- everyone had them in their caselogics if they were a rap fan

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    deej said:
    ruff ryders vol 1 >>>> whatever odubs favorite jazz sampling record is

I certainly hope Oliver steps up to defend his honor and that of his favorite jazz-sampling terd.

To be honest, it just never occurred to me that the Ruff Ryders album might, in fact, be better than Gang Starr or A Tribe Called Quest's output from the earlier part of the decade.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    how annoying is the format of that article?

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    deej said:
    down bottom of course sounds corny if yr looking at it from a bout it bout it perspective, the same way everyone in the tunnel who wasnt going down south was like 'wuh???' when flex dropped 'bout it bout it.' That doesnt mean they're right. down bottom is a straight up classic swizz track!

can't forget down bottom is also Tear the club up by dj class

the first time i heard that song was in atlanta when i copped a Cash Money mixtape w/ it on it..... it's a good song, sounds like Swizz trying his hand at a mannie fresh style, nothing wrong w/ that...

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Tugboats.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    deej said:

Well he does support Arsenal.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    noz said:
    Tugboats.
    lmao

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i bet both you and noz would be too scared to go to the tunnel

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Herm said:
    Tha Alkaholiks are the West Coast Beatnuts.

Why they never joined forces to make a song called "Lik 'Nuts" is beyond me.

This is right up there with Dizz's Vatos in Space movie idea in terms of ventures that would make Strutters famous.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Brian said:

They could go with Faux as their guardian, though.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Brian said:

You live on a island, work at a coffee shop and discovered both rap music and the existence of black people on the hollertronix message board. I bet you get scared when you drive through tunnels.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i don't drive bro

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    lol

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    deej said:

I spent last New Year's on a ferry, dancing to Black Lace, Kajagoogoo etc., and 'pretending' doesn't come into it; I had a great time, the music was still the worst cheesy sh*t imaginable. You know the stuff I'm talking about.

Paul said:

Well he does support Arsenal.

:sonned:

Once little Theo finds his feet...