Mulatu Astatke music in Jim Jarmusch movie

kidinquisitivekidinquisitive 1,627 Posts
edited August 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
So it seems Mulatu's music will feature promimently in the new Jim Jarmusch film "Broken Flowers" starring Bill Murray. Can't wait to see it.On defining "Broken Flowers'" through its music:"Music often leads me. I discovered Mulatu Astatke's music maybe seven years ago, and I was blown away by a few things I found that he had recorded in the late sixties. I was on a hunt for a number of years: I bought some vinyl; some of his jazz stuff; some Latin jazz recorded in the states; other Ethiopian stuff. And then I was like, "Oh, man, how can I get this music in a film? It's so beautiful and score-like." Then when I was writing, I was like, "Well, this neighbor [Jeffrey Wright] is Ethiopian-American, I can turn him on to the music."

Comments

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    Jarmusch a crate digger????? fuckin RAD! i love dudes films

• hans_dbhans_db 18 Posts
    Nice spotted there!

Watch out for the huge Mulatu project that's been set up by Soundway Records! In short there'll be a Mulatu Retrospective CD out first, then new recordings and a concert at Addis follow late September/October, to be released early 2006. Included in the new recordings are: Mulatu Astatq??, Will 'Quantic' Holland, Max Weissenfeldt (drums, Poets Of Rhythm), Todd Simon (trumpet, Breakastra and many others), Showboy (Egypt 80 horn player) and a whole lot of Ethiopian musicians. Young and old.

On board as well on the artistic, journalistic tip: Monk One from Wax Poetics, LA based artist B+ (involved in Keepintime project) and Gilles Peterson is to do a documentary and record some radio bits.

All of this came about when Will Holland chatted with Miles Cleret from Soundway who's without doubt the man who deserves the most props (together with 'Ethiopiques' compiler Francis Falceto of course).

Looking forward!

• Holy crap.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    Nice spotted there!

Watch out for the huge Mulatu project that's been set up by Soundway Records! In short there'll be a Mulatu Retrospective CD out first, then new recordings and a concert at Addis follow late September/October, to be released early 2006. Included in the new recordings are: Mulatu Astatq??, Will 'Quantic' Holland, Max Weissenfeldt (drums, Poets Of Rhythm), Todd Simon (trumpet, Breakastra and many others), Showboy (Egypt 80 horn player) and a whole lot of Ethiopian musicians. Young and old.

On board as well on the artistic, journalistic tip: Monk One from Wax Poetics, LA based artist B+ (involved in Keepintime project) and Gilles Peterson is to do a documentary and record some radio bits.

All of this came about when Will Holland chatted with Miles Cleret from Soundway who's without doubt the man who deserves the most props (together with 'Ethiopiques' compiler Francis Falceto of course).

Looking forward!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Looking forward to this and especially wong kar wai's new one!

Jarmusch a crate digger????? fuckin RAD! i love dudes films

music is solid in all his films. ntm roles for tom waits, john lurie, iggy pop, RZA, GZA, Joe Strummer, Screamin Jay etc...

• the only flick of his i've seen was "coffee and ciggarettes" and it was terrible

the only flick of his i've seen was "coffee and ciggarettes" and it was terrible

you owe it to your self to wathc more. i'd say his films have progressed since the first one. exception being coffee and cigarettes and night on earth.

Ghost Dog is his best IMO. ANd the starnger than paradise

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    the only flick of his i've seen was "coffee and ciggarettes" and it was terrible

you owe it to your self to wathc more. i'd say his films have progressed since the first one. exception being coffee and cigarettes and night on earth.

what did you think of dead man?

• the only flick of his i've seen was "coffee and ciggarettes" and it was terrible

he did ghost dog? i didn't know that. that was movie wasn't bad, but i think it had more to do with my being a big forest whitaker fan

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts

i liked it. existential western. great score by neil young.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

It was one of those movies that I couldnt really form an opinion on. When it was over it didnt really stick with me. I never really thought about it again untill now. I did like the score though.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

It was one of those movies that I couldnt really form an opinion on. When it was over it didnt really stick with me. I never really thought about it again untill now. I did like the score though.

i felt the same the first time i saw it and then my second time - i got a lot more out of it.

other than night on earth and year of the crazy horse (i think you have to be a die-hard neil young fan to really like that one) - dude can do wrong by me.

one of my favorite films. easily

one of my favorite films. easily

Ghost Dog is one of his worst[/b] IMO. ANd the starnger than paradise

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    you're trippin if you dont like GHost Dog

• For my money Jarmusch excels at dialogue and awkward moments. He's really great at shooting scenes where people are locked up in one room and all they have is the ability to talk or sit in silence. Thus, the greatness of Strangers In Paradise and the brilliance of the format of Coffee And Cigarettes. These films cut out the plot (for the most part) and left Jarmusch to get at what he's good at. Plot just gets in Jarmusch's way, IMO. Ghost Dog was plot heavy and didn't play to his strengths.

• and the brilliance of the format of Coffee And Cigarettes.
    i don't see how it was brilliant...

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Nice spotted there!

Looking forward!

Nice spotted there!

Looking forward!

Nice spotted there!

Looking forward!

• parenparen 537 Posts
    and the brilliance of the format of Coffee And Cigarettes.
    i don't see how it was brilliant...

one of his worst. surry.

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    Coffee and Cigarettes isn't even a movie.

Dead Man rules, his one bonafide classic.

Anyone else have the records Jarmusch made? I like em.

• Wow, can't believe the thread has gotten this far without anyone mentioning Down By Law, my favorite Jarmusch film.

• All of this came about when Will Holland chatted with Miles Cleret from Soundway who's without doubt the man who deserves the most props (together with 'Ethiopiques' compiler Francis Falceto of course).

Looking forward!

If it were not for Symon Warwick their meeting might never have happened!
    It's funy to think they lived in the same city(brighton) and never crossed paths...

This project is gonna be amazing!

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

If it were not for Symon Warwick...[/b]

• VagabondVagabond 417 Posts
    Mystery Train is a real good flick IMO.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    For my money Jarmusch excels at dialogue and awkward moments. He's really great at shooting scenes where people are locked up in one room and all they have is the ability to talk or sit in silence. Thus, the greatness of Strangers In Paradise and the brilliance of the format of Coffee And Cigarettes. These films cut out the plot (for the most part) and left Jarmusch to get at what he's good at. Plot just gets in Jarmusch's way, IMO. Ghost Dog was plot heavy and didn't play to his strengths.

I agree on the Ghost Dog comment. It didn't suck, but once was enough. I think my expectations were a little high. Forest as a big city Samuri with a RZA soundtrack? I thought I was going to go bannanas, but I think over all I'm just a little underwelmed by Jarmusch's style. It's still good. I actually liked coffee and cigs, but as stated it's not a movie. You have to go into that one knowing it's a bunch of shorts and some of them are going to be clunkers, but the good ones are worth it. But I still want to see flowers.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Night on Earth is embarrassing if only for the terrible Winona scene, and several other boring vignettes. I love Stranger than Paradise, Dead Man, Ghost Dog. Down By Law is OK too, but never really grabbed me. Better in theory than in actual practice.

• nickjnickj 53 Posts
    Saw this last night and enjoyed it. I thought it was quite good by Jarmusch's standards and Bill Murray was great, though it's maybe starting to get a little old seeing him only in these kinds of roles. Solid flick, though. Mulatu's music is featured pretty heavily through the film and he even gets a prominent "Music by Mulatu Astatke" credit at the end. Perfect choice by Jarmusch, but it was definitely two hours of non-stop diggers deja vu.

"Ethiopian sounds are good for the heart, mon."