Mulatu Astatke music in Jim Jarmusch movie

2»

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I like the pace of his movies and how nobody is really able to understand each other through words, but still develop deep connections. I think all his movies are pretty good even night on earth. I don't really like seeing them multiple times though (maybe because of the slow pacing). I heard Jarmusch on the radio once talking about Neil Young recording the soundtrack to dead man live in a movie theatre while seeing the movie for his first time.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I like the pace of his movies and how nobody is really able to understand each other through words, but still develop deep connections.

I think this describes his films perfectly. Those awkward misses but genuine connections are palpable and believable. He is very good at what he does. Little subtle things he does say reams about modern/urban life ie. not translating non-English dialogue.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    i celebrate his entire catalog....except coffee and ciggarettes

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Saw it last night. It was wonderful. Great female characters. Jim Jarmusch writes very good parts for children as well, nothing cutesy or saccharine - kids as humans, not precocious stuffed-animals. Tilda Swinton with make-up! Good Gosh ??? does she ever look bad? Chloe Sevigny is the possibly worst actress and she has zero presence ??? why do people keep insisting on her? She was only just bearable in this film, another minute of her Drama 101 acting and it would have been terrible. Sharon Stone keeps getting better and better. Perfect ending.

• Anyone notice that ill colorized version of the Ethiopian Airlines LP that was in the living room of the neighbor's house?

I need that shit!

Where can I get it?

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    Saw it last night. It was wonderful. Great female characters. Jim Jarmusch writes very good parts for children as well, nothing cutesy or saccharine - kids as humans, not precocious stuffed-animals. Tilda Swinton with make-up! Good Gosh ??? does she ever look bad? Chloe Sevigny is the possibly worst actress and she has zero presence ??? why do people keep insisting on her? She was only just bearable in this film, another minute of her Drama 101 acting and it would have been terrible. Sharon Stone keeps getting better and better. Perfect ending.

bump. i saw this last night.. easily one of my favorite movies of this year. i co-sign on all of missbassie's statements.

and yes, that mulatu painting in winston's house is

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I thought the film was ok - some really beautiful visual and emotional moments but to me, it was a bit too self-aware about its art house-ness and there were some moments that were far, far too precious (the cemetary in the rain scene for example). I know Jarmusch's reputation isn't so much on building a great story - he's more into characters and moods - but I felt like this needed more story development.

Murray was fine. It's the same role you've seen in the last three films, just more subdued (if that's even possible).

The music was great though they kept playing the same Mulatu song over and over (I understand the point of it, but it was rather monotonous). That opening song, feat. Holly GoLightly was the jammy jam though.