Big Boi.....Sir lucious left foot. Surprisingly good?

2»

Comments

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Mondeyano said:

CRAZY NICE BEAT/SONG.

i feel like i've heard that on the radio for a minute now...

• LordNOLordNO 202 Posts
    deej said:
    should go w/out saying this is a real good/fun album, but its def kinda underwhelming to me considering?? i dunno. its not as good/fun an old man rap record as the e-40, it carries like no sense of significance to me & a lot of attendant media hype like ... i wish this record would be UNDERRATED & treated like the mighty o cuz really its good but more in a chill bbq music way, not like an important rap record u know?

It's an Outkast record, it demands repeated listenings over time before you can really assess its impact.

I think it's a great album. The Yelawolf track is sick, and I'm not even on dude's bandwagon like that but he spazzes. The fact that Andre produced that track is encouraging if it's an indication of what he might come with in the future.

'Be still' is like that moment on every Outkast record where the first time you hear it you think 'wtf is this' and then the pop songwriting genius of Outkast wins you over. Except I keep thinking she's saying 'be still young hog' which I prefer infinitely to the actual 'be still young heart'. Oh well...

'For your Sorrowz' might still be my favorite. Shine Blockas also sounds great within the sequencing of the album.

My only real gripes are the Jamie Foxx and B.O.B hooks. The fact is Big Boi is an excellent hook writer (think Elevators, Rosa Parks), he doesn't need these folks on the hook, he could do better himself, or with an ONP hook.

I wish Jive hadn't blocked those two Andre 3000 verses just cause hearing a solo Big Boi album does make me want to hear new 'Kast and I feel like two joints might've alleviated that hankering.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I started a suitably chirptastic thread about this after Big Boi posted the album as a stream on his MySpace and still enjoying this album a lot a week later. I think my appreciation has been helped by the fact that I stopped listening to any of the leaked tracks after Shine Blockas so a lot of the album is probably fresher to me than people who have been checking the leaks.

Also, will-sell-well-in-europe-related, Shutterbug is getting a lot of airplay on MTV in the UK at the moment.

• jjrocksjjrocks 109 Posts
    Buying tomorrow. Couldn't resist listening to the leaks.

Didn't digest the lyrics yet, but the album sounds really, really good. There are few albums in any genre that get off to such strong starts--the first 6 songs are crazy good.

I liked Blaqkout too, Deej, but I don't think it's as consistent as Sir L. I'm sure critics will love it, but that doesn't bother me, as this album's appeal is universal. Everywhere I know, from the 19 year olds I hoop with to the older heads, are feeling this. It's an album that has great sequencing, a great start, and I really enjoy listening to it all the way through (I only skip Hustle Blood sometimes). Entire albums that I enjoy this much are rare. Does that make it an important rap album? I dunno. I don't really think about rap in the those terms. IMO, this is just good art. Period.

• pretty fucking good!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    flatblackplastic said:
    pretty fucking good!

yeah, my first few listens have me hooked so far. has potential for favorite rap album of 2010 so far.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Rank - Artist - Album - This Week - Est. Total
    2 - Drake - Thank Me Later - 74,000 - 783,000
    3 - Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty - 62,000 - 63,000

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    Rank - Artist - Album - This Week - Est. Total
    2 - Drake - Thank Me Later - 74,000 - 783,000
    3 - Big Boi - Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty - 62,000 - 63,000

Well, I guess that settles it: Drake is indisputably better

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    if only the andre features made it to the release...