Big Boi.....Sir lucious left foot. Surprisingly good?

countmaculacountmacula 196 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
Thought I was gonna hate this like most rap these days but I thought it was pretty good. My good mood mightve helped too.

Comments

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    I've heard it and it is a little average on some tracks but for the most part I'm liking it.
    Alot better than Drake or Eminem

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    BAN

For comparing to Drake/Eminem

That's like saying it's better than doo-doo

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Hahah. You said "doo doo"

But really, is this out? I checked Amazon and didn't see it...

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    It's leaked. I think it's out Tuesday in the US.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Shit, am I the only dude who actually waits to BUY the records people release anymore?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I do that too.

I've been offered downloads of this schitt and I have refused, I tend to do that a lot these days... started back when I had an early rip of something that was a bad rip, and somehow I got confused in itunes and the one I bought is now gone and the early/shitty rip stayed.

No more early/shitty rips for me, unless it's something I have absolutely no intention of buying anyway.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yeah, I mean I get promo links for shit which is cool. But you know, I would have gotten the promos for those things anyway in the past when they were vinyl, for the fact that I'm at the club and people want me to bang their shit. I dunno man. I spend a ridiculous amount of money on digital music these days.

I'm definitely trying to cop the vinyl on this, does anyone know if it comes with a download card?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    yeah, for somebody like this, i buy the record/ cd. it's worth the money. but, i downloaded drake's schitt to check it out.

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    i dont know why this would be a surprise, all the singles released so far have been real strong....I am actually waiting to pick this up on Tuesday though...

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I'm definitely trying to cop the vinyl on this, does anyone know if it comes with a download card?

I'm hoping so. I feel like big releases like this should always have a download card but that's not the case unfortunately. It seems like smaller labels do it more often than the big boys. Or Bois in this case. :drummer:

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Why would it be surprising that Big Boi would put out a good album?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    minneap said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I'm hoping so. I feel like big releases like this should always have a download card but that's not the case unfortunately. It seems like smaller labels do it more often than the big boys. Or Bois in this case. :drummer:

Or that the download card is for shitty 192s.

mannybolone said:
    Why would it be surprising that Big Boi would put out a good album?

It's absurd--dude is only 1/2 of the greatest rap group of all time

I will say that this album is being unjustly ignored tho. I am in the A currently, so why am I not hearing any Big Boi on the radio?

The music definitely sounds current and has popular appeal.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Two different discussions going on here, but I'll join.

1. Big Boi album is fantastic.

2. I'm waaaay too much of a junkie to wait until a release date, but I still visit my local Best Buy every Tuesday.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    faux_rillz said:
    the greatest rap group of all time

:NO:

What would you say is the greatest rap group of all time

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It's all right for old man rap. At least "Be Still" sounds current thanks to the young Janelle Monae and in spite of Big Boi's old man flow.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

Do not engage with this fruitfly

Jonny_Paycheck said:

Can't call it.

faux_rillz said:
    Do not engage with this fruitfly

Awwww, you know you can't resist me, Daniel.
    How's married life treating you?

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

CRAZY NICE BEAT/SONG.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Yes.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    bassie said:
    Yes.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I think it's fair to have OutKast mentioned in the list of GOAT rap groups.

Yeah definitely.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    should go w/out saying this is a real good/fun album, but its def kinda underwhelming to me considering?? i dunno. its not as good/fun an old man rap record as the e-40, it carries like no sense of significance to me & a lot of attendant media hype like ... i wish this record would be UNDERRATED & treated like the mighty o cuz really its good but more in a chill bbq music way, not like an important rap record u know?

Isn't making "chill bbq music" like a "significant rap record" kind of thing to be doing right now? I'm just saying...

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    nah im with you, i mean this is like ... similar in vibe to the quik & kurupt last year, and although big boi is a better rapper than either im not sure this is even quite as consistently interesting as that one though it has a v similar kind of diverse fun times vibe? its a fun record & far be it from me to tell big boi he shouldnt get the praise his career deserves, but just to warn you guys this is going to be the token crit rap record this year (which i guess is great for saving that honor from going to drake ughguhgughugh)

• Why am I surprised that it's a good album??? Cuz almost all of my favorite rappers have let me down with a clunker for an album. I can't think of one that hasn't. Lol.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Isn't making "chill bbq music" like a "significant rap record" kind of thing to be doing right now? I'm just saying...