Swedish House Mafia

BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
I saw these guys at EDC and they melted my face clean off. I think I am officially now a PLUR for life Candy raver. Clown on me all you like, that shit was incredible. But how does soulstrut feel? Im wondering these days. Are we still talking about Drake and Eminem?

Comments

• You like David Guetta too?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Bsides said:
    I saw these guys at EDC and they melted my face clean off. I think I am officially now a PLUR for life Candy raver. Clown on me all you like, that shit was incredible. But how does soulstrut feel? Im wondering these days. Are we still talking about Drake and Eminem?

All I've heard is "One." Sh*t is DOPE! I'm not mad at the Pharrell version either. What do you recommend, Bsides?

Funny you mention EDC. I played a house set at my friend's weekly tonight. I played the song below and a dude came up to me and said that he loved that song. He said he heard it played about 3 times at EDC, then looked at me in disbelief when I asked what EDC was.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Bsides said:
    I saw these guys at EDC and they melted my face clean off. I think I am officially now a PLUR for life Candy raver.

EDC = ?

PLUR = ?

Was too young for this, but got switched on by dodgy cassette field-recordings from a friend's older brother and The Prodigy.

Still gives me bumps.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    My wife loves them.

i havnt heard a note but one night i was showing her chatroulette and we got SHM live from the stage of some fucking massive festival in the sun, we chatted for a while, they were cool.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Herm said:

All I've heard is "One."

I can't lie, it reminds me of the Mortal Kombat techno remix.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    http://soundcloud.com/officialswedishhousemafia/live-at-electric-daisy-carnival-2010-sat-06-25-2010

I recommend checking out their EDC live set. The whole mp3 is posted there. I like One a lot too......not as much some people though. The girl I went to EDC with kept telling me how great they were, but still I was pretty shocked!

EDC was totally insane. 180,000 ravers descend on the ghetto in Los Angeles. There were all types of kids there, they mash in pretty much all types of music into a throbbing house beat. Im not even sure how many stages, but Ive never seen anything like it.

Deadmau5 was also fucking awesome.

The kids, they love the drugs, and they love the techno and that shit was epic!

Herm said:
    Bsides said:

All I've heard is "One." Sh*t is DOPE! I'm not mad at the Pharrell version either. What do you recommend, Bsides?

Funny you mention EDC. I played a house set at my friend's weekly tonight. I played the song below and a dude came up to me and said that he loved that song. He said he heard it played about 3 times at EDC, then looked at me in disbelief when I asked what EDC was.

haha yeah that song is dope, heard it a few times there! EDC stands for the Electric Daisy Carnival, which is a massively fruity cheese raver name and that is exactly the point. Its been going on for 14 years now and to be honest, i just heard about this year when I started hanging out with all these house music guys (well, okay, mostly girls).

This year it got so big that they did it at L.A. memorial Colosseum. It still kind of surprises me how something so huge can still be even remotely underground, but it kind of is, and thats kind of awesome!

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    haa i posted a SHM vid recently on here i think --

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    Herm said:
    Bsides said:

sick video! like the song too. Lefsetz was even talking about swedish house mafia recently. :hayek:

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Deadmau5 is the shit.

Still waiting to see how long it will take for all the eurodance to take over the east/south.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Kaskade and Deadmau5 are pretty much killing the game right now

wish Osborne was more prolific

deej said:

^^^this looks epic as fuk

mylatency said:
    deej said:

^^^this looks epic as fuk

this edit is pretty fucking wack, but the original is one of my favorite songs of the year for sure.

mylatency said:

Who is Osborne? Really not all that sold on Kaskade yet. Hes good I guess,....but not THAT good.

Deadmau5 wins on the fact of his l.e.d. cube and mouse mask alone. His zelda heart and space invaders neck tattoo is also pretty committed!

All im gonna say is watch for alot of these guys to blow up on radio rap records the same way guetta did this year. Specifically the swedish house mafia dudes. Deadmau5 would never go for it, but hes gonna at least get sampled anyway. ...

mylatency said:

Who is Osborne? Really not all that sold on Kaskade yet. Hes good I guess,....but not THAT good.

Deadmau5 wins on the fact of his l.e.d. cube and mouse mask alone. His zelda heart and space invaders neck tattoo is also pretty committed!

All im gonna say is watch for alot of these guys to blow up on radio rap records the same way guetta did this year. Specifically the swedish house mafia dudes. Deadmau5 would never go for it, but hes gonna at least get sampled anyway. ...

E_Daily said:

Still waiting to see how long it will take for all the eurodance to take over the east/south.

Does Timbaland count?

Not rap, but Kelis Acapella sounds like a 90s UK chart hit. Looked at the LP credits, and David Gueta features heavily. Heard 4th of July on tv last night, and (to me) it's biting Dubstep, and particularly Floating Points, hard.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    you guys really like that yolanda be cool shit ? It sound horrible to me. Annoying as fusk

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    call me disconnected but is someone really mentioning Todd Osborne in the same breath as Deadmau5 and Swedish House Mafia? Maybe theres a poprave osborne i don't know. Personally I think the Deadmau5 and Swedish House Mafia school of production is a couple of rave stabs from being 2unlimited or some similarly terrible rave music. Except 2unlimited were better. Guetta makes my throat fill with bile. I reckon even if you like your dance music extremely watered down you could do better than these!

Dunno who Todd Osborne is still...

But i dont think the point is shying away from cheesy 90's rave stabs!

BTW that kelis song is sick! Im not a fan of everything he does, but david guetta does some hot shit!

and no, timbaland doesnt really count.

Bsides said:

BTW that kelis song is sick! Im not a fan of everything he does, but david guetta does some hot shit!

Has she given up on the US RnB market then? Production credits and what I've heard is UK/Euro dance music.

1 Intro 3:31
    Mixed By - Dylan "3D" Dresdow*
    Producer - Burns (4)
    Written-By - Burns (4) , Kelis
    2 22nd Century 4:55
    Mixed By - Robert Orton
    Producer - Boys Noize
    Written-By - Andreas Meid* , Alex Ridha* , Ian O'Brien Docker* , Kelis
    3 4th Of July (Fireworks) 5:40
    Producer - Damien Leroy aka DJ Ammo*
    Written-By - Jamie Munson , Kelis , Vanessa Fischer
    4 Home 4:03
    Mixed By - Robert Orton
    Producer - Free School
    Written-By - Kelis
    5 Acapella 4:28
    Co-producer - Fred Riesterer*
    Mixed By - David Guetta
    Producer - David Guetta
    Written-By - David Guetta , Fred Riesterer* , Kelis , Makeba Riddick
    6 Scream 3:30
    Mixed By - David Guetta
    Producer - David Guetta
    Written-By - David Guetta , Kelis
    7 Emancipate 4:26
    Mixed By - Alle Benassi
    Producer - Alle Benassi , Benny Benassi
    Written-By - Kelis
    8 Brave 3:32
    Co-producer - will.i.am*
    Mixed By - Robert Orton
    Written-By - James Fauntleroy* , Kelis , will.i.am*
    9 Song For The Baby 3:42
    Producer - Free School
    Written-By - Kelis , Michael McHenry*

Bsides said:
    Dunno who Todd Osborne is still...

But i dont think the point is shying away from cheesy 90's rave stabs!

the point is definitely not about shying away from rave stabs. But there is a big difference between rave stabs a la Manix (brilliant) and rave stabs a la 3 swedish dudes making a half arsed hard house beat, and then chopping 2 seconds of Robin S "Show Me Love" over the top and calling it a song (shit music for 8 year olds).

The Kelis song, whilst not quite as bile inducing as some of Guetta's truly abhorrent work, is trash compared to the likes of Kaleidoscope (yes i am an asshurt fan of hers).

Duderonomy said:
    Bsides said:

Has she given up on the US RnB market then? Production credits and what I've heard is UK/Euro dance music.

Producer - Burns (4)
    Mixed By - Robert Orton
    Producer - Boys Noize
    Mixed By - Robert Orton
    Producer - Free School
    Written-By - Kelis
    Mixed By - David Guetta
    Producer - David Guetta
    Mixed By - David Guetta
    Producer - David Guetta
    Mixed By - Alle Benassi
    Written-By - Kelis
    Co-producer - will.i.am*
    Mixed By - Robert Orton
    Producer - Free School

whoah weird. I think I would If I were her. Who wants to compete with Justin Bieber? I know for a fact shes picked up more than a few new fans already. Benny Benassi? Nice!

Duderonomy said:
    Bsides said:

Producer - Burns (4)
    Mixed By - Robert Orton
    Producer - Boys Noize
    Mixed By - Robert Orton
    Producer - Free School
    Written-By - Kelis
    Mixed By - David Guetta
    Producer - David Guetta
    Mixed By - David Guetta
    Producer - David Guetta
    Mixed By - Alle Benassi
    Written-By - Kelis
    Co-producer - will.i.am*
    Mixed By - Robert Orton
    Producer - Free School

whoah weird. I think I would If I were her. Who wants to compete with Justin Bieber? I know for a fact shes picked up more than a few new fans already. Benny Benassi? Nice!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Europe's always been kinder to Kelis, and I guess now she's finally decided to take the plunge and embrace a more stylistically Euro sound.

Guetta's stuff does nothing for me - some of it's hideous, in fact - but if you took the vocals off that Kelis track and told people it was a lost Speedy J tune from '93, I'll bet none but the super-nerdy would dispute it.

That SHM tune isn't bad. What passes for house music nowadays is a very different beast to the stuff I used to listen to, but if I found myself in a club or a bar where they were jamming stuff like that, I wouldn't sup up and leave. At least, not right away.

Bsides said:
    mylatency said:

Who is Osborne?

http://ghostly.com/artists/osborne

not really in the same category/discussion as Kaskade and Deadmau5 but filed under "house I actually like"
    maybe more like Moodymann, etc

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    what is this thread actually about??

why are you talking SHM, Deadmau5 and Guetta and then posting floating points tracks.

I feel like i'm missing out on a joke here.

phatmoneysack said:

why are you talking SHM, Deadmau5 and Guetta and then posting floating points tracks.

x 2. i don't get it.

Ulysses31nicholas said:
    phatmoneysack said:

x 2. i don't get it.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    phatmoneysack said:

Ha ha, exactly, this is one of the strangest threads I've read in years. SHM sounds like every other novelty eurodance track that clog up the UK charts at the end of every summer. House music? Wha'?

Doop anyone?

"HOUSE MUSIC IS BACK!!!"