The Rock Group "Rush"

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
What are your views on the rock group Rush?

Comments

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Talented musicians. But I cannot ride for their output. They're like a potentially great rock group who are a little too friendly and non-threatening.

They sound Canadian.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I just think it's odd that they have suddenly been anointed as "cool." They were in the movie "I Love You, Man," the acclaimed rockumentary, the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Oddly enough I think their first record has stood the test of time the best. It's a great rock record and isn't polluted by Neil Peart's intellectual self-importance.

• isn;t there a rush documentary coming out soon?

crabmongerfunk said:
    isn;t there a rush documentary coming out soon?

I saw it on VH1 last night. It is excellent. The DVD comes out on the 29th.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Always loved Rush. Last song of theirs I cared about was Subdivisions, but all that ish up to that point is golden as far as I'm concerned.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    2112 is a stoner classic.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Saw them the very first time they played the UK in 1977. They were still something of an underground cult band back then, weird as it now seems to say such a thing about Rush. But they hadn't even had an album released in the UK, and they were selling out theatres. This was around the time of All The World's A Stage, so they weren't yet super-super-deep into the whole pseudo sci-fi shit, and still had a foot in traditional dungeons-and-dragons prog themes. It was a great gig, but it wasn't really enough to make a major fan out of me. Maybe it's because punk was beginning to take hold, and I was more interested in the likes of The Clash by then - Neil Peart's enthusiastic dickriding of Ayn Rand left a bad taste, too.

This is still my shit, though.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    1St LP great rock Lp...the others, not so much

John Rustley>Neil Peart

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    For the sake of our relationship, please don't do that.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    They're rad. Nerd math stoner rock, and Geddy Lee's a member o the tribe, which is equally rad.
    AND, his name is Geddy bc his mother couldn't really pronounce his real name, "Gary" --- it always came out as "Geddy" bc of her thick accent. So he made it his stage name. Kinda rad.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    RAJ said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    isn;t there a rush documentary coming out soon?

I saw it on VH1 last night. It is excellent. The DVD comes out on the 29th.

Raj is right. I caught it last night too and it was very, very good. Even if you're not a fan of RUSH it's still a good doc. IMO, they will always be a great band but they did lose steam with every record released. The first is a one of their best. I wish I could find a first pressing, before Mercury got it.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    CONFORM OR BE CAST OUT.

Srs I ride doe. Brother was into them big time, heard the whole catalogue in my teens. They had the Lifeson "Solo faces" down pat. Not a massive fan of Der Gedmeister's voice, but you can wig to Alex no problem.

Bytor & The Snowdog FTW

• i always liked this Rush song:

• bluesnagbluesnag 1,285 Posts
    I have been on a massive Rush nerd kick lately. I am going to see them in DC in September. There is just something about them...yes, they are technically good musicians, yes, geddy lee's voice is odd and an "acquired test", yes, they are really nerdy, but dammit, they rock dude.

of course, being around so long, they have some clunkers, but i've even started to get into some of the post-'81 stuff lately. grace under pressure is actually a great new-wave influenced rush album. me likey.

• I kind of grew to love Rush from one of my friends who was heavily into them. Definitely fun listening for me. I did see the documentary last night, and it was great. I never knew that they opened for KISS, though. But Gene Simmons talking about how Rush never got ladyfolk action much was definitely hilarious.

• i guess that doc isn't available yet for download but i did find this doc " rush backstage secrets" (i think its about their gear)

http://extratorrent.com/torrent/1375609/Rush+Backstage+Secrets+105+Road+Manager+Freel@nceR+avi.html

and this.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    what about the band Budgie? who rides?

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I was big on Rush in Jr. High. Can still get down with some of their songs. Saw them on tour in 8th or 9th grade with all the light show stuff, wasn't that impressed with that but music was good.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    RAJ said:
    What are your views on the rock group Rush?

Really only listened to Moving Pictures before but getting into them more and more. I'll definitely pick up their older albums. I'm gradually getting more and more into "musician-music" that I used to have a hard time getting into... Rush, Zappa, Steely Dan etc.

"You ready to get some Neil Peart all up in ya?"

"I don't know..."

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    PrimeCutsLtd said:
    what about the band Budgie? who rides?

I do , a hundred times more rockin than Rush

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    The drummer: is it pronounced Neil Pee-art, Pee-urt or Pert? Or some other concoction?

(I will always use the former btw, regardless of how wrong I am)

J i m s t e r said:
    The drummer: is it pronounced Neil Pee-art, Pee-urt or Pert? Or some other concoction?

(I will always use the former btw, regardless of how wrong I am)

I most often hear "Pert" but I also hear, and have heard that the correct pronunciation is, "Piert", or something like that.

I believe it was Pert until the shampoo came out... then his highbrow ass started telling people it was Piert.

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts

BTW, for those who care (I see plenty of you don't!) the recent Rush tour just started two days ago. They're playing all of Moving Pictures from start to finish in the second set.

• i ride for Rush. Ever since i heard limelight as a young philly bol (add that to the slang i cant stand/overused thread) in this video:

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The only thing this thread has proven to me is

Rashida Jones > Rush

• TahneeTahnee 46 Posts
    Tuesday afternoon the NPR news on my local university station was interrupted by the emergency notification system but there was no emergency. It was two "dudes" who apparently run the system talking about the Rush concert and Neil Peart.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    im all for people liking what they like
    my ears say "rush sucks"

tomsawyer is kinda grew on me a little tho

tripledouble said:

tomsawyer is kinda grew on me a little tho

I can remember hearing that intro as a kid. Sounded like a SPACE INVASION.