Uncreative / Unoriginal DJ Names

undocumentundocument 70 Posts
edited July 2010 in Strut Central
Looking at the producers listed on the Big Boi thread, it finally dawned on me that this guys handpicked, ready to rawk name is:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mr._DJ

:shut:

Anything could've been better than this name, right? Hell, even "DJ Mister". Have we already run out of names and he had to go the "simpler is better" route? What happened?

He's probably an awesome guy, he obviously has some skill producing...but what happened with that name there?

What are some other mad suspect DJ names you can think of? What about some good ones?

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    You know that Mr. DJ has been Outkast's DJ since their debut? It's not like he just popped up out of nowhere.

• Yeah, it was a name I recognized but never really thought about until I saw it in that thread.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    I always thought "The Unknown DJ" was an awkward name (early L.A. hip-hop-R)

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    You know that Mr. DJ has been Outkast's DJ since their debut? It's not like he just popped up out of nowhere.

And produced a lot of the early material.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    While DJ Scratch may be an unoriginal name, that man has provided some of the most memorable cuts ever recorded, "So Whatcha Sayin'" being a prime example.

• mannybolone said:

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    DJ Dan

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    DJ Food

• Sunfade said:
    DJ Food

isn;t that just the name of the breakbeat series they put out? as in food for dj's to sample and chop, etc...

• DJ Fresh.

I like the DJ Fresh that's been putting out the Tonite Show mixtapes with Mistah Fab and crew. I also think he's a talented producer. But it's impossible to google/myspace/etc his name to look for new music by him because of the other million DJ Fresheses out there.

crabmongerfunk said:
    Sunfade said:
    DJ Food

isn;t that just the name of the breakbeat series they put out? as in food for dj's to sample and chop, etc...

I hope to christ your right.

DJ Noize

DJ AM

Ali-Shaheed-Muhammud

A-Trak

DJ Rectangle

DJ Shadow

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Deej

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Sunfade said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Sunfade said:
    DJ Food

Kind of. DJ Food started off as the monkier Cold Cut used to put out those breakbeat records while they were contractually tied to some major (after they produced The Only Way Is Up with Yazz and The Plastic People). These were the first records on their independent label Ninja Tune. Then the DJ Food moniker was used by Cold Cut and these other dudes (Stictly Kev & PC) to make Recipe For Disaster. The latest DJ Food material Shape Of Things That Hum is, I think, another line-up, possible involving Darren Knot (DK), but not Cold Cut.

A nomination for a good one: DJ Lord Such (Madlib alias on the cuts for Shades of Blue), I guess in reference to Screaming Lord Sutch of the Monster Raving Looney Party, but it also has that '80s rap sound to it.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    this russian kid named "beat maker beat" always cracked me up. on some borat steez.
    dj yeah is dumb too

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    mannybolone said:

There's a dude out here that goes by DJ Unknown. Just recently he was promoting his Hip Hop Karaoke night and after a few weeks of seeing his name on Facebook flyers and real world flyers my friend said "Damn, they STILL haven't found a DJ for that show?!"

I laughed, explained, then told her I was changing my name to DJ TBA.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Sunfade said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Sunfade said:
    DJ Food

DJ Food is the series name - Strictly Kev being the mainstay, I think. Which is, once again, a terrible DJ name.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Duderonomy said:
    Sunfade said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Sunfade said:
    DJ Food

Kind of. DJ Food started off as the monkier Cold Cut used to put out those breakbeat records while they were contractually tied to some major (after they produced The Only Way Is Up with Yazz and The Plastic People). These were the first records on their independent label Ninja Tune. Then the DJ Food moniker was used by Cold Cut and these other dudes (Stictly Kev & PC) to make Recipe For Disaster. The latest DJ Food material Shape Of Things That Hum is, I think, another line-up, possible involving Darren Knot (DK), but not Cold Cut.

A nomination for a good one: DJ Lord Such (Madlib alias on the cuts for Shades of Blue), I guess in reference to Screaming Lord Sutch of the Monster Raving Looney Party, but it also has that '80s rap sound to it.

Ooops Duder, missed that!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    DJ Firstname Lastname with a hotbox.

• crabmongerfunk said:
    Sunfade said:
    DJ Food

yeah exactly its meant as food for dj's. i think coldcut and some other dude who i cant think of is behind that.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    smoking_robot said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Sunfade said:
    DJ Food

yeah exactly its meant as food for dj's. i think coldcut and some other dude who i cant think of is behind that.

Fuck, how many Strutters have me on ignore?

• Duderonomy said:
    smoking_robot said:
    crabmongerfunk said:
    Sunfade said:
    DJ Food

Fuck, how many Strutters have me on ignore?

haha, nah not ignored, i just pulled the trigger too quick on that quote and reply.

imma defer to your answer though as i wasnt 100% certain who the brainchild(ren) were behind that. i always thought coldcut was behind it all with some other dude

• these don't really belong in this thread since i think they're great names...

MC Hellshit & DJ Carhouse
    http://www.discogs.com/artist/MC+Hellshit+&+DJ+Carhouse

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I just use my name. I feel silly with a handle, probably because I am not really a nickname kind of person. That's pretty boring.
    My brother and I play together now and then and I tried to campaign for DJ Sister and DJ Brother, but that got shut down right away.

DJ Serious is one of our city's best and a top-shelf guy on top of that, but I have to hand it to the dude who a few years ago played under DJ Really Serious.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

Seriously. I call for BAN.