Why does everyone have English accents in these movies?

motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
So I just saw Prince of Persia with my kid and all the actors have English accents, something that occurs in far too many movies about the ancient world. Where did this stereotype start? 300 is about Greek Spartans, all have English accents. Almost every movie/series I can remember about Rome - Gladiator, HBO's series Rome, etc. all have English accents. Shit a lot of plays by Shakespeare aren't even about the English and yet they all have English accents well. Is he the cause of all this?

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    BRO YOU MEAN BRITTISH ACCENTS.

B/W

WHAT IS THE DEAL WITH CHEESE PUFFS?

I do love this phenomenon, though... And when the German guys speak English with a German accent, etc.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I know a lot of movies have the bad guy roll speaking with a british accent. I think thats probably left over from the revolutionary war.

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    Semi-related, but Valkyrie: figure that one out. Allied-force country bred actors like Tom Cruise and Terrence Stamp, playing Germans in World War II with their own accents...

Surprisingly not a bad movie though.

• don't watch "the wolfman" (1941), your head might explode.

• i always wondered if actors in movies that are filmed in another language that take place in america deliver the lines in their native tongue with "american" accents say.

i.e. french movie taking place in america, everyone speaks French but with an american accent to signify they're in america or some shit.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    I know a lot of movies have the bad guy roll speaking with a british accent. I think thats probably left over from the revolutionary war.

^^^^^^
    THIS

Not sure who is more worthy of despising, these briddish traitors who accept the gig and continue to (unfairly %-P ) besmirch our rep, or a Hollywood system and viewing public who cannot accept the concept of an evil American.

Actually, let's not discriminate here, let's hate on both sets of cuntly cunts.

:coolgrin:

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I think it is just a simple/lazy way of coveying "these dudes ain't from around here" to American audiences with having to resort to subtitles

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    This is something I've wondered about often.

along with how come so many American rock singers try to sound British and British rock bands try to sound American.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Not that it matters in economic terms to the film industry, but everyone I know boycotts films with gratuitously briddish accented baddies.

The worst ever example of this was Three Men and A Little Lady. Recent sightings include the voiceovers in Fantastic Mr Fox and the nerdy posh twat in Alice in Wonderland.

How about Ben Kingsley playing the Hood in the Thunderbirds film? Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal Lechter.

The list is long and the point is made I think. I know you dudes understand it. What about the general populace? Talmbout inbreds in wife-beaters and dudes who think Japan is in Tokyo.

Its annoying and disrespectful, frankly. Please tell your Senator.

::

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    LOLOLOL these are great!

here's a quick question:
    I'm putting on a short one act play about Ingerland v Germany game...having some trouble figuring out which accents they should use. Of course, they're both The Bad Guys. Should ze Germannz speak like BRITTZ with GERMAN akzenten, or what?

regards,
    cap'n amurka

• Imperial_MaoImperial_Mao 1,119 Posts
    smoking_robot said:
    i always wondered if actors in movies that are filmed in another language that take place in america deliver the lines in their native tongue with "american" accents say.

i.e. french movie taking place in america, everyone speaks French but with an american accent to signify they're in america or some shit.

Like this maybe ???

• I think in several instances you are confusing English accents with Mid-Atlantic accents which are meant to be between American and British (think Frasier or Captain Picard).

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    And while we're at it. Why all the Brits playing Americans in Hollywood flicks. Don't they know their accents sound like shit?

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    DOR said:
    And while we're at it. Why all the Brits playing Americans in Hollywood flicks. Don't they know their accents sound like shit?

I know, it's totally offensive. I'm boycotting any movie with a British actor using an American accent.

• maldorurrmaldorurr 120 Posts
    fauxteur said:

Is the cahstle fah?