Weekend Finds

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    pm sent.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    musica said:

hey look its every latin breed record ive never seen before all at once! wow.

nice pile, bass fever!

bass_fever said:

killer score on Legwork!
    bass_fever said:

"war between fats and thins"?? nice!
    and both side of people is a nice pull not to mention jamul

bass_fever said:

i can never get enough of the the OG "Superman" on the clique.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    bass fever - Nice pickup on the Jeremy Steig Legwork LP. It doesn't seem like that one pops up all too often. I have the cover in an LP frame in my living room. Don Alias gets a nice sound out of his drums on that one.

• i also enjoy legwork. i think i have a double if someone needs it. it's about a $20 record, right? or is it more like a 40 record?

Not sure I think mine was $5... Cool record though!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I was heading to my boys house to grab some green for when I work on my new mix tonight, he lives near a Goodwill that has been pure shit the past 6 month. Well, dude wasn't answering his phone so I decided to hit the store just to waste time. My man that works there, he hold records for me in exchange for a few bucks & mix cd's here and there, was like, :"I haven't seen you for a while, I've been holding these for you". He brought out a box of about 100 or so records. It's funny how things work out.

$5 for all 8!!

The Luigi joint is the one with the music only. No annoying instructions.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    oh man
    whassup with
    steven boyd
    daniel barrajanos
    tap'n (that azzz)

afro american jazz rhythms is pretty dope

i know while you were picking those things out, you had visions of forella dancing in your head

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    G_Balliando said:
    It's been a while since I bought a record. Grabbed a couple today. The Candi Staton has 2 songs I'm liking; "Clean Up America" and "A Little Taste of Love". The Groove Holmes is good too, "Down Home Funk" being the highlight. "Don't Mess With Me" is cool too, kinda boogaloo-ish organ jazz with a quick, driving drum beat.

I have "Don't Mess With Me" on a single. You're right, great song, although I could do without the spoken interjections, which is mainly Holmes (or somebody) threatening some unheard opponent - "don't mess with me," "I'm warning you," "get outta my way," weird stuff like that.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    oh man
    whassup with
    steven boyd
    daniel barrajanos
    tap'n (that azzz)

afro american jazz rhythms is pretty dope

i know while you were picking those things out, you had visions of forella dancing in your head

LMFAO, Yessir!!! I was just waiting to see that damn cover, for real. That's all I was thinking.

fishmongerfunk said:
    i also enjoy legwork. i think i have a double if someone needs it. it's about a $20 record, right? or is it more like a 40 record?
    ive seen it sell for a lot more than $40 but that was several years ago.

• out of curiosity, what would you currently clock legwork at if you had to?

fishmongerfunk said:
    out of curiosity, what would you currently clock legwork at if you had to?

like $30-35 maybe 40 if real clean i guess. i remember it selling at $60 like in 2005 or so, and you just dont see it much.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I bought a collection of 45s yesterday (approximately 4000).

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    wowzers Bill.
    Please post pics when you can.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Stuff from the past week or so. GOt the People's People LP from eBay with some cash from a successful auction a friend ran for me. That LP along with the Alan Lee LP are two of the better Jazz funk efforts I've ever heard.

The Latin stuff came from a priceless Latin connect I've been workin on for a while, and now it's finally runnin full steam. Antique Formula and La Machaca were cheap eBay grabs.

The Sevens:

^^ Yes Please! ^^

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Also, that Hippy Boys ain't even close to the same version as the LP one.

Pretty sure Quantic lifted the piano riff for his track "Linda Morena". No time to rip, sorry.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

I confess, all 3 of these came from the internet. But scoring 3 long-time soul wants in less than a week was sweet. the Leon Haywood was a bit of a disappointment, a 1967 release obviously thrown-together to cash in on his hit on Decca, with early 60's material in a Roy Hamilton vein, mixed with a couple of later tracks easily available on 45. I was hoping for previously unheard (by me) 1967 stuff. Still, a few of the older tracks are quite good. Wanted One Soul Singer I got sealed from eBay with a best offer. Props to the new online GRNYC for the Johnny Sayles - gorgeous crossover soul and a cover with pseudo-ringwear :wink:

Got the Jeff the Brotherhood 45 at their show tonight in Boston. Nashville 2-piece, brothers, their "Heavy Days" LP is a 2010 fav.

edit: ha, they REALLY re-sized my photo :oof:

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    fishmongerfunk said:

Hi!

Is that Flying Island LP an alternate cover to "Another Kind of Space" or a different album altogether? Any good?

• Hi!

Is that Flying Island LP an alternate cover to "Another Kind of Space" or a different album altogether? Any good?

different record. i think this is their first one. it has some very strong fusion moments and even some breaks but is a little wanky at times. the phrase "jazz-rock" is mentioned about 6 times in the 50-word liner notes. i recommend picking it up if you can find it for 10 or under...

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    got a call about a want i've been wanting - picked it up today, word!

[how you like that perfect touch art?]

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    fishmongerfunk said:

Hi!

different record. i think this is their first one. it has some very strong fusion moments and even some breaks but is a little wanky at times. the phrase "jazz-rock" is mentioned about 6 times in the 50-word liner notes. i recommend picking it up if you can find it for 10 or under...

Yeh, I REALLY like the tracks that I like on the "Another kind of Space" , but there is definitely a wanky tendency in their stuff. Must be the guitarist. His self-penned "suite" on the b-side is pretty awful.

Wow, that truck load of 45s looks like a project!

Also, was surprised to see this Groove Holmes just sell for over $40 shipped. Just scooped it for $8.

last 3 weeks or so combined accumulation, including some wicked trades....

^^ Gibson brothers is a one tracker, otherwise pretty heinous IMO

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

previously unreleased LP from 1969 which has just seen the light of day in a limited press

Dave Newman is signed

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:

I confess, all 3 of these came from the internet. But scoring 3 long-time soul wants in less than a week was sweet. the Leon Haywood was a bit of a disappointment, a 1967 release obviously thrown-together to cash in on his hit on Decca, with early 60's material in a Roy Hamilton vein, mixed with a couple of later tracks easily available on 45. I was hoping for previously unheard (by me) 1967 stuff. Still, a few of the older tracks are quite good. Wanted One Soul Singer I got sealed from eBay with a best offer. Props to the new online GRNYC for the Johnny Sayles - gorgeous crossover soul and a cover with pseudo-ringwear :wink:

Got the Jeff the Brotherhood 45 at their show tonight in Boston. Nashville 2-piece, brothers, their "Heavy Days" LP is a 2010 fav.

edit: ha, they REALLY re-sized my photo :oof:

Hey SOI,

Judging from your finds, you should like, particularly, the 3rd song on my "Slow and Funky" mix up here on the 'Strut. If you've heard it, you should recognize the song from one of your 3 LP finds right away.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    holmes said:

hope you liked it :coolsmile:

how is the Earl Gaines on Deluxe?

"Soulful Dress" is a great single ... I have a sweet beat cover by Ian & the Zodiacs of it.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    SoulOnIce said:
    holmes said:

hope you liked it :coolsmile:

how is the Earl Gaines on Deluxe?

"Soulful Dress" is a great single ... I have a sweet beat cover by Ian & the Zodiacs of it.
    Yeah love it thanks for the tip :beerbang:
    That Earl Gaines is superb, one side is a strong deep soul cut & the other is great funky southern soul. You can hear clips of both sides here: http://www.amazon.com/Lovin-Blues-Starday-King-Years-1967-1973/dp/B00000K2KH
    Good Good Lovin/Meaning Of A Sad Song
    I've been after a clean copy of "Soulful Dress" for ages, great song. I think the only other version I have of it is Marcia Ball on a LP.