Best Micro Brews in the USA?

2»

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Sween said:
    analog_tape said:
    I'm feeling the Long Trail Double Bag out of Vermont right about now, that is 7.2%

Oh man, can't go wrong with anything by Long Trail. Their Hefeweizen is an automatic buy for me when it comes around.

Their IPA is completely undrinkable - it tastes like acetone. Literally one of the worst beers I've ever had.

• TahneeTahnee 46 Posts
    i consider stone, dogfish head, and new belgium to be some of the best.

dogfish head is only available in 30 or so states & unfortunately mine is not one.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Tahnee said:
    dogfish head,

dogfish head is only available in 30 or so states & unfortunately mine is not one.

Yeah, I've had 4 or 5 of their brews that have been top notch.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    To continue my ranting... Anyone else here underwhelmed by Peak Organic brews?

Tried a few and none of them hit for me.

As a Northeasterner, I have to concede that the West Coast has a lot more going on micro-wise.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    honestly its amazing how much good stuff there is brewed exclusively for bars or that dont have distribution. so dont be jealous of the west coast, just seek it out here on the east. i mean around charlottesville there are probably 3-4 bar/restaurants that have a couple beers that they brew on site and dont distribute. (think of it as private press)

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Harvey was on the money.

I'm drinking their Rio Blanco Pale Ale and it's a 9/10

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    BreakSelf said:
    Top 3 local:

Bells

hopslam fan?

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    musica said:
    ZEN2 said:
    My shit

I don't know why, but I've never gotten around to copping this. Really that good?

Best in class. I keep trying to find a better IPA but so far have come up empty, although I have enjoyed the Green Flash West Coast IPA as mentioned above. The New Belgium Ranger IPA isn't bad either.

Can anyone explain the astronomical cost of Dogfish Head beer? I've enjoyed everything of theirs I've tried, but not enough to repeatedly shell out 10.99 for a FOUR-pack.

:icallbullshit:

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    edulus said:
    honestly its amazing how much good stuff there is brewed exclusively for bars or that dont have distribution. so dont be jealous of the west coast, just seek it out here on the east. i mean around charlottesville there are probably 3-4 bar/restaurants that have a couple beers that they brew on site and dont distribute. (think of it as private press)

Cali seems to have the super-hoppy IPA game on lock, but there is plenty of good brew to be found elsewhere. When I lived in Richmond I enjoyed the (no-homo) Jomo Lager from Star Hill. Definitely visited some good brewpubs in Charlottesville, although I can't recall any names at the moment.

Legend Brewery in Richmond is not to be slept on!

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    ZEN2 said:

Can anyone explain the astronomical cost of Dogfish Head beer? I've enjoyed everything of theirs I've tried, but not enough to repeatedly shell out 10.99 for a FOUR-pack.

:icallbullshit:

For the four pack stuff, they use a lot of quality hops and their brews ferment a little longer. Considering their brewery isn't huge by commercial standards, you are paying for their real estate.

Stone is incerdibly overrated and they are the frat boys of micro brews.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Harvey was on the money.

I'm drinking their Rio Blanco Pale Ale and it's a 9/10

Yep, some old college friends of mine opened/run that brewery. They started out way back when making a single kegerator, then started up a beer co-op at their house...where they would order these exotic kegs and then you'd mark how many pints of it you've had on a sheet of paper and pay a certain at-cost price per pint. Then they started making more kegerators to sell. Then they started brewing their own beer at home. Then they thought, why don't we open our own brewery? And the sky has hardly been the limit for Real Ale since then.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    gloom said:
    BreakSelf said:
    Top 3 local:

Bells

hopslam fan?

fa sho! I got time for just about all of their offerings.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    From Baltimore's Brewer's Art:

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I can't say I've experienced too many micros around the country, but I can definitely vouch for Colorado's selection. I think we have more micro brews than any other state (I heard this somewhere, not sure where), and the big ones are all really good. New Belgium and Odell's probably being the top two. There's a plethora of breweries all over the state though.

• HUSHHUSH 18 Posts
    Around here we got two pretty good ones.

Duck Rabbit from Farmville, NC

&

Mother Earth, in Kinston, NC

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    G_Balliando said:
    I can't say I've experienced too many micros around the country, but I can definitely vouch for Colorado's selection. I think we have more micro brews than any other state (I heard this somewhere, not sure where), and the big ones are all really good. New Belgium and Odell's probably being the top two. There's a plethora of breweries all over the state though.

Portland, Oregon has over 38 (micro)breweries in the metro area: the highest concentration of breweries in the world, greater even than Munich. Funny thing is I haven't had a beer in 14 years.

• I think my favorites are spread over various regions -

Oscar Blues - lyons, CO
    Founders - MI
    Thirsty Dog - OH i think

as for locally, i really dont like Yards or PBC (philadelphia brewing company), i think their beers are kind of mediocre
    Weyerbacher is incredible.

And Bells is up there in my top 10.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    DrWu - my fault, Colorado ranks first in production of beer per capita, not number of breweries. We're 2nd in number of breweries, apparently. I think Coors is still mostly brewed here, plus Blue Moon/Killians, and then New Belgium went national a while back so they are pumping out the brew these days also. They have that shit on the shelves of 7-11s in San Diego.

"Colorado ranks first in the nation in beer production per capita and second in the number of breweries. There are more than 100 breweries statewide, each with its own style and flare. Colorado's capital city of Denver brews more beer than any other city in America."

Source via yahoo: http://www.colorado.com/Articles.aspx?aid=42033