Best Micro Brews in the USA?

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited June 2010 in Strut Central
I don't know but I think SoCal is holdin it down! Stone, Pizza Port, Ballis Point.... Who else is got the good brew let me know!!!

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Ironfeet said:
    I don't know but I think SoCal is holdin it down!

SoCal has nothing on the northern half of our fine state.

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    seems like you have to go out of your way to find these beers in LA (?)
    I never found much at the average grocery store ... unlike other parts of the country

anyway, I vote for Colorado / Washington

• From MN if you like pale ale this is the local :holygrail:.
    It's only by can or keg and I am pretty sure the distribution doesn't get far (Anchor Steam fans would probably poop their pants).
    Photobucket

However a classic that has gotten worldwide recognition.
    Photobucket

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Indiana definitely holds it down. 3 Floyds, Upland, New Albanian. not the best distro, but I'm fairly local, and reap the benefits.

obviously, there is some great stuff going on in the north western part of the country.

Bell's is my all time favorite, based in Michigan. HOPSLAM 4 LYFE.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    I list all the ones worth mentioning in Cali and otherwise IMO

• All Northern Cali.

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    yup, north cal has it locked. not a single good brewery in all of los angeles county.

Stone in Escondido scores us extra points.

Odell in Fort Collins is my current shit.

• Options
    I've been going heavy on Goose Island and Ithaca Beer Company's Flower Power IPA.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Sween are you fucking with Greenport Harbor? They only do growler fills, but they're pretty legit.

• I'm feeling the Long Trail Double Bag out of Vermont right about now, that is 7.2%

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    fauxteur said:
    seems like you have to go out of your way to find these beers in LA (?)
    I never found much at the average grocery store ... unlike other parts of the country

anyway, I vote for Colorado / Washington

BevMo on Santa Monica/La Brea. Whole Foods.

I can't get enough of Stone. It's all about their yeast.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• Options
    Garcia_Vega said:
    Sween are you fucking with Greenport Harbor? They only do growler fills, but they're pretty legit.

It rings a bell, but I can't remember when or where I had something by them. I'm pretty sure they're served in some bars and restaurants out on the North Fork and in Montauk, which would explain the foggy memory. There's a distributor in Bellport (Big Chan stand up) that sells growlers, one of my friends lives out that way I'll have him check if they have it there.

• Options
    analog_tape said:
    I'm feeling the Long Trail Double Bag out of Vermont right about now, that is 7.2%

Oh man, can't go wrong with anything by Long Trail. Their Hefeweizen is an automatic buy for me when it comes around.

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts
    i hope Delay doesn't stumble upon this and find out how gay you guys are for drinking this khaki pants nonsense.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Pac NW has this on lock. Always has. There is no need for discussion. We got the hops, we've had a 20-year headstart, we got the beards.

Myself, I drink light amercan lagers, but comeonsrsly nobody's messing with the region of Cascadia when it comes to this stuff.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    The-gaffler said:
    i hope Delay doesn't stumble upon this and find out how gay you guys are for drinking this khaki pants nonsense.

No way! Last time I seen Delay he was extolling the virtues of, and comparing Belgian Trappist beer, while drinking a Rochefort 10 from a snifter. Bol then moved on to talk about how 2004 was a landmark year for Argentinian Malbecs.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    A local favorite from Burlington, Vermont. So good...I believe it won an award for Best New England Beer.

• edulusedulus 421 Posts
    i ride for the big microbrews victory, dogfish, rogue.

i visited philly and hit up yards, they had some pretty good stuff. they got this spruce ale that was ummm...interesting. also if you are from baltimore, they just started canning the resurrection ale from brewer's art. which is nice.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    tallbobsmoke said:

this brewery is sick!!!

Locals around me Victory & Dogfish. Also dig the Philadelphia brewery's Kenzinger.

• Pistol_PetePistol_Pete 1,289 Posts
    A couple of my faves:
    Russian River Brewing & Stone immediately come to mind, especially if you're in the mood for an IPA. I like Lagunitas a lot too.
    On the east coast I always liked Victory, Brooklyn (love their Pils), Magic Hat, Dogfish Head...

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    My shit

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    [

Easily one of my Top 5 favorites in the States; Pranqster, Old Rasputin Imperial Stout, and, in particular, the Old Stock Ale, are all superlative IMO.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    ZEN2 said:
    My shit

I don't know why, but I've never gotten around to copping this. Really that good?

This is my jamb:

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    And while we're talkin IPAs:

This is super solid (I'm drinkin it right now) and actually from SoCal

and

local fave

musica said:
    ZEN2 said:
    My shit

I don't know why, but I've never gotten around to copping this. Really that good?

This is my jamb:

Stone IPA kills Maximus imho. Something about Stone's yeast that is :face_melt:

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Top 3 local:

Bells

Founders

Jolly Pumpkin