Rep a FEEL GOOD documentary...

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Yo.I wanna watch some feel good documentaries that make the world a better place or leave you with a sense of triumph and a smile on your face.I'm talking ones like:When We Were Kings.Amarillo By Morning.In The Shadow Of The Moon.Man On Wire.Anyone know any good'uns along these kinda lines ?Paece!

Comments

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    Little Dieter Needs to Fly.
    Man With a Movie Camera.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    The Rise and Fall of the Dix

• pppppppp 261 Posts
    Spellbound.

• meistromocomeistromoco 953 Posts
    madhot ballroom
    about elementary school kids in NYC ballroom dancing. leaves you with the BIGGEST smile on your face.

wordplay
    not sure it makes the world a better place, but its about crossword puzzles and crossword puzzle enthusiasts. features Bill Clinton and Jon Stewart. Really good and I don't even like crossword puzzles.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    As much as this movie pained me as a lifelong Knicks fan, if you loved the NBA in the 90's you need to check out "Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks".

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    madhot ballroom
    about elementary school kids in NYC ballroom dancing. leaves you with the BIGGEST smile on your face.

yes.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If any one enjoyed the movie 'The Men Who Stare At Goats' or thought it sounded interesting, you should track down the John Ronson documentary it's story is lifted from, called "Crazy Rulers of the World". It's on some torrent site if you search for it.
    It's not really feel good, but it's light and entertaining enough.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Last night I watch a documentary about a bipolar millionaire who took 12 Ukrainian models to a castle in Jamaica in an attempt to 'find' a wife.
    He stated smoking weed as soon as they touched down and went on a massive mania fueled bender, claiming he was the voice of Allah and that he'd marry all 12 girls and keep them in his harem.

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/themes/true-stories

(most of ^these are great docs. only a few are feel good though)

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Ones that have probably been mentioned on here before..

The King of Kong
    Young @ Heart
    Anvil
    American Movie

• PunditPundit 438 Posts

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/themes/true-stories

(most of ^these are great docs. only a few are feel good though)

can't watch them outside of UK - do you or any of your good countrymen know of any proxy-esque work arounds? there used to be one for hulu but they were right onto it and kept disabling it.

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts

Anvil

shit is seriously seriously incredible.

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    if you haven't seen Cuba Feliz, you should give it a day in court. it's about an old musician they call el gallo who travels around the island meeting up with other musicians and singers that he knows and plays music with. one of the best feel-good documentaries i know of.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    what about that babies documentary

• fauxteurfauxteur 342 Posts
    John Ronson
    I've seen six or seven of his projects ... consistenly interesting

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts
    Anvil!

• As much as this movie pained me as a lifelong Knicks fan, if you loved the NBA in the 90's you need to check out "Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks".

Definitely loved this documentary. In fact, most of the 30 For 30 documentaries have been good. I recently saw the one with Ice Cube talking about The Raiders and the impact it had on LA and hip hop culture. That was good viewing.

• Encounters At The End Of The World was a feel good documentary to me, mainly because I love nature and adventure documentaries. The underwater scenes were just amazing to view.

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    "I Like Killing Flies"

A lil sad at parts, but had me cracking up most of the time.

• 99Problems99Problems 1,541 Posts
    STYLE WARS...Always puts me in a good mood.

• bigchalzbigchalz 220 Posts
    which one?

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    The Inventions Of Dr. Nakamats is recommended, it had me laughing from the beginning until the end.

• calkutacalkuta 160 Posts

not really feel good but has some feel good moments!!

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

freshest kids by qd3

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    also posting this ^ reminded me of Frosty Freeze - RIP - one of the coolest guys in Hip Hop - ever - period.

Check out this little tribute to him guaranteed to put a smile on your face - mini doc

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    John Ronson
    I've seen six or seven of his projects ... consistenly interesting

Yeah John Ronson is great, his documentaries tend to be a far less contrived and therefore more successful version of what Theroux does.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    As much as this movie pained me as a lifelong Knicks fan, if you loved the NBA in the 90's you need to check out "Winning Time: Reggie Miller vs. The New York Knicks".

Definitely loved this documentary. In fact, most of the 30 For 30 documentaries have been good. I recently saw the one with Ice Cube talking about The Raiders and the impact it had on LA and hip hop culture. That was good viewing.

I have really enjoyed the 30 For 30 series, but I was kind of disappointed with Ice Cube's doc. For some reason it seemed kind of superficial. The "Without Bias" one was amazing, although definitely not a feel good story.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Thunder Soul
    The Water Front
    Chops
    Wheedle's Groove
    Bananas!
    (maybe even) My Best Fiend?...

and plenty of others already mentioned like Anvil, King of Kong, When We Were Kings, Wattstax...

I can't remember if the Scrabble doc Word Wars ended on a feel-good note, but it just seems to fit in this thread. The book Word Freaks, which follows many of the same players, would also make a fine Summer read.

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    I can't remember if the Scrabble doc Word Wars ended on a feel-good note

it sure didn't for Marlon.

• kitchenknightkitchenknight 4,922 Posts
    For those who like Word Wars, I would suggest reading, "Word Freak," by Stefan Fatsis. It's a great book.