NI Maschine

DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
tried the search function and i looked in the "music y'all" forum but i don't see anything related to this piece of hardware.I picked one up last week after watching a shit tonne of vids online. So who's got one?I'm using it with Ableton. I mainly got it because I feel Abelton has kinda dropped the ball on "step sequencing" cell based drum machines. The impulse seems to be lost in time while they urge you to use the overly complex "drum racks". Browsing / previewing samples in the impulse is also slow and clunky. Maschine has def improved my worflow on that end. Really diggin doin 90% of everything on the box instead of staring at the screen. The swing in ableton is also wierd IMO. Used to suck.. is now overly confusing and complicated. Maschine clears that up.Now inspite of these big time workflow improvments i also feel like Maschine is a step BACKWARDS.Maybe i need to log more time on this thing. But routing audio seems clunky. I have a shit tone of outboard gear and a patchbay. I dont want to always record thru tracks 1 and 2 on my motu because that means i need to use the MOTU pres instead of my API lunchbox. I cant figure out how to record in "mono" - that ends up as 1 channel of stereo hard panned.If you don't specify how many bars you want to record for its nearly impossible to figure out the cut point later. I mean displaying the sample length in SECONDS instead of bars is just RETARDED!! maybe i missing a toggle for this control.Cant type values anywhere always need to move the digits with the mouse or the controller. I'm also not digging that the maschine dumps everything into a common "recordings folder". Ableton does such a GREAT job of packaging / organizing stuff.Anyhow i've only had the thing for a week or so, def need to log more hours but I'd liek to hear from any other users out there.

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    spelunk was talking about it a few months ago and really impressed with it. I've been thinking about switching to a software setup based around it because I don't have much time or drive to work on music nowadays and I'd rather not have all this gear sitting around doing nothing.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Would you recommend this for me
    i am a novice on sequencing software and am looking to learn that while having a physical component

it seems like the best of both worlds
    hardware that can be fined tuned through software

or is this only useful for advanced ableton users??

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    I would say its an IDEAL piece of kit for a ?novice?.

I can remember back in the LAST century playing around with my 505 and my buddys 606 and goin ?man if only you could like have THIS box and use it with a computer?. Amazes me that its like 11 ? 12 years later and they?ve only just really dropped the solution!

I think most of my ?beefs? are because I?m a hardcore ableton dood and I?m just SO used to that flow that the learning curve of the Maschine is throwing me fer a bit of a loop.

But makin ?beats? on this thing is RETARDED quick.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    will cop!(soon) thanks

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    has this thing a built in soundcard so that i can hook up my turntables directly for sampling purposes? Or do I still need an external soundcard?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    It's just a controller.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    i have been seriously giving thought to selling my mpc and moving to one of these, I just need to have a play with one so i can get a feel for the pads, i have heard great things about its stand alone aspects to.

• Just switched from a 2k to maschine and am really liking it. The only real gripe I have is that you can't do a tempo change unless you host maschine in a daw. Other than that, it's pretty much bang on what I want and need.. I really don't miss tracking out of hardware..

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i confused the schitt outta myself moving from hardware to computers, only just finding my feet with ableton now. i think i will sit maschine out unless someone REALLY convinces me.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Can someone shed some light on the software? My friend who is a big time studio buff told me to just get Ableton, as it is a much more "mature" software. Does Maschine (i.e. using the controller) record in the same way in Ableton as it does in its own software? The pads feel quite nice, I tried it once and want to buy...I am a novice, as my experience with producing is limited to bringing a bunch of records to a studio to sample...and it looks as if this is just what I was looking for to preproduce ideas and take them to a bigger studio that runs on Logic/Ableton/Qbase...is this possible? Sorry if I am asking for old news here....Maschine heads, chime in please

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Native Insturments frontend is perfect - their products are polished and clean, and Maschine has features that no one else can step to.

On the backend Maschine's file structure is IDIOTIC and something that they refuse to do anything about. The fix would be f**king simple and the software even eludes to a very competent file structure that is similar to the Ableton browser, but in some ways even cooler. But getting that shit to work with things you are actually sampling is ABSOLUTE nonsense. In other words, if you have a folder full of kick drums, great! Toss them into the right folder and you can do the sound swapping in the demo videos. Sample something new and that shit ends up in your documents folder and if you move it you are F**ked. EVERYONE who does ANYTHING INTERESTING has this issue with their product but they were more concerned with emulating an MPC60 and SP1200 and the modeling sounds retarded, because they are just modeling the sampling rate conversions and not anything about the actual A/D and D/A converters and the circuitry that made those machines unique.

But other than that if you are chopping records and sequencing Maschine is really great. The workflow is quite fast and once you get used to it, the way things are structured make it so that you can truly build a song in an MPC-like interface.

I have mine and am keeping it, but kind of as a sketchpad for ideas and then using other software to do the real work. But for a sketchpad it's really great and I could see it being the workhorse for many people.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    I have mine and am keeping it, but kind of as a sketchpad for ideas and then using other software to do the real work. But for a sketchpad it's really great and I could see it being the workhorse for many people.

Thanks B****** for this comment, this is exactly how I perceive this to be...

• On the backend Maschine's file structure is IDIOTIC and something that they refuse to do anything about. The fix would be f**king simple and the software even eludes to a very competent file structure that is similar to the Ableton browser, but in some ways even cooler. But getting that shit to work with things you are actually sampling is ABSOLUTE nonsense. In other words, if you have a folder full of kick drums, great! Toss them into the right folder and you can do the sound swapping in the demo videos. Sample something new and that shit ends up in your documents folder and if you move it you are F**ked.

What i've been doing is using the Save project with all audio option to create a project folder, then when i reopen it, it will automatically save samples into that folder. Not sure wether this is really a viable work around yet though, haven't ponied up and cleaned out my documents folder..

b/w

I wish I could just turn the browser the hell off.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    On the backend Maschine's file structure is IDIOTIC and something that they refuse to do anything about. The fix would be f**king simple and the software even eludes to a very competent file structure that is similar to the Ableton browser, but in some ways even cooler. But getting that shit to work with things you are actually sampling is ABSOLUTE nonsense. In other words, if you have a folder full of kick drums, great! Toss them into the right folder and you can do the sound swapping in the demo videos. Sample something new and that shit ends up in your documents folder and if you move it you are F**ked.

What i've been doing is using the Save project with all audio option to create a project folder, then when i reopen it, it will automatically save samples into that folder. Not sure wether this is really a viable work around yet though, haven't ponied up and cleaned out my documents folder..

b/w

I wish I could just turn the browser the hell off.

Yes this is decent but then in order to browse said samples in the format that NI shows off, switch between sounds, you have to resave the files in separate folders - there is no way to sample something, chop it up, and then take a pad and save it to a category within the browser file structure, which is what you should be able to do, and what everyone wants. That way you could essentially make a library of samples that you had previously toyed with to return to, mix, and match, instead of being separated by project folders.

At the end of the day there would be no way I would be this frutstrated if they hadn't made a fundamentally worthwhile product, it's just that they are so close to hitting the mark but can't quite get there.

• spcspc 534 Posts
    EVERYONE who does ANYTHING INTERESTING has this issue with their product but they were more concerned with emulating an MPC60 and SP1200 and the modeling sounds retarded, because they are just modeling the sampling rate conversions and not anything about the actual A/D and D/A converters and the circuitry that made those machines unique.
    As far as I know, you have to record through Maschine's audio input to enable the MPC60 and SP1200 A/D emulation.

nice to hear some thoughts from other users.

I feel kind of the same way. The Hardware is DOPE. The software looks good on paper but is proving to be a tad frustrating. NOW i need to keep reminding myself that this is V1.5 and I'm on V8 of ableton. Ableton was pretty different back when i first started using it circa v1.5 / v2. SO hopefully they can iron out some of these quirks.

BTW from what i can tell you can toggle the "vintage" emulation on at any point for any sample. Not just durrign recording.

Im not super interested in creating a big archive of sounds. I tend to like to record things for the project at hand and then start fresh for the next one. But it would be VERY slick to be able to just dump common sounds like claps and hats into there respective folders with ease.

I still haven't done much sequencing on it. Just been making some beats and sampling some synths into it.
    I've got to wrap my head around the workflow. Part of me thinks i may need to start launching it in abelton. Record in ableotn. Edit my samples in ableton.. then sample them into the maschine and play them from there. not sure yet.

• 1manband1manband 34 Posts
    Just ordered one after got mad bored using mpc 2000xl and Logic synced..
    I used my buddy's one and i have to say it really looks dope and intuitive,and the interaction with Logic sequencer is ridiculous..
    Does anyone know if you're capable to import MPC sequence files other than the PGM and the single sounds?

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    so tempted to get one. but i think i will wait for native instrument to answer to that new octorex sampler or whatever it was called in the new version of reason. (someone still on that program?)

i need a solid drumsampler for live. where you can edit startpoints, envelopes, looppoints, that browses samples fast and can add endless files to the same instance and map over the same keyboard range. cant be too hard to program??

until then ill just work my way using lives drumracks.

Drumracks.. man i don't know what it is about them but i just cant wrap my head around them in ableton. I really wish they could have expanded the impulse to 16 cells and created a step sequencer module to link to it.

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

So who's got one?

I do and i've been stuck in the house for the past week like a fiend messing around with this.
    Maschine+Live 8=

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    paging spelunk

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    You should buy Maschine, pcmr. Get Live if you also have the means.

• DescryDescry 229 Posts
    digging it so far, but i've never really sampled with the maschine yet. used to just recording in logic, cutting with recycle and dragging samples . greate for my needs....no more tracking out. God send.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    i will take the leap post-MA

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    plz persuade me to not get rid of my whole synth and drum machine setup and replace it with:

ableton
    maschine
    komplete

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Do it and send the synths to me

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    PatrickCrazy said:
    plz persuade me to not get rid of my whole synth and drum machine setup and replace it with:

ableton
    maschine
    komplete

Did you do this? Im thinking of ditching a bunch of gear and hours of pain trying to get pro tools and my mpc to run, and just getting a similar setup (I already have Komplete). The main reason for the move, of course, is to avoid having to track the MPC into pro tools, which I just dont have the time for anymore.

Can anyone speak on the advantages of having both Komplete and Ableton, vs just getting a controller and Ableton? I've always worked on an MPC, so I really like the idea of a hardware sequencer (even though I know it doesnt run stand alone).

Also, I'd need some inputs. Any recommendations? Or does anyone know if I can use my Digi 002 with any of these set-ups? I'm planning to hold on to some of my analog filters and my juno 106, as well as my turntables, so I'd be needing at least 3 stereo ins..

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    can anyone speak on the virtues of the mikromaschine vs it's bigger brother for a relative newbie please

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    Unherd said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

ableton
    maschine
    komplete

Did you do this? Im thinking of ditching a bunch of gear and hours of pain trying to get pro tools and my mpc to run, and just getting a similar setup (I already have Komplete). The main reason for the move, of course, is to avoid having to track the MPC into pro tools, which I just dont have the time for anymore.

i was forced to do it because I moved to New York and kinda didn't have room for all that stuff. gonna stick with my original plan once I move (again) and don't see that changing. works fine for the stuff i want to work on

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Dubious said:
    Drumracks.. man i don't know what it is about them but i just cant wrap my head around them in ableton. I really wish they could have expanded the impulse to 16 cells and created a step sequencer module to link to it.

Whats confusing to you about them? I cant really see any advantage to using impulse other than its kind of a limited kit. IMO to get the most out of ableton you really have to think about the session view as being a sampler in itself. You can chop, trigger samples, and everything else right from the session view.

The default file browser is really all I need to find sounds.

That said, I still probably couldnt get along without kontakt and multiple third party vst's, However, Im fairly sure that sampler will do everything you are looking for. It also reads a multitude of old sample formats.

The coolest thing about the racks system is that it makes the whole software a modular interface. Its a little overwhelming at first, but not cause its overly complicated, just because its different.

I dont really need it, but id love a fruityloops style step sequencer too. Nothing is really as nice as that as far as the piano roll goes.

I have been using XFER Nerve. And its about the closest thing I can find for that stuff. Other than that I just program drums on the fly.

If you play all the notes on the same midi track, its still pretty easy to just copy and paste to separate your drum sounds. Not worth the time setting up multi timberal channels in my opinion,

I go back and fourth from wanting and not wanting the Maschine. I know plenty of people that have it, and the build quality is actually super nice. But the software is still just a giant step backwards and ultimately another step in between you and your daw of choice. The software is the sequencer these days.

the apc40 is nice, but not really necessary either. I miss the feel of doing a whole beat on hardware too, but its just time to leave it be and move on.

Unless you are shooting for a throwback type of feel, its just getting in your way.