robbery advice

12346»

Comments

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    why do you guys even engage harv in all the dumb, half-baked things he spews?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    You're right. I'm out.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

But I will say that our generation is by far the wimpiest in the history of the world. Our parents and their parents and their parents fought in wars where they were giving up their lives, in some cases for seemingly nothing, before they were even reaching the age of 24. They would run straight into machine gun fire, letting the chips fall where they may. Not that I suggest that for anyone...but how do we get from that sort of thing to thinking that we are so defenseless in our lives today and thus dependent on cops and judges to sort out all of our problems? Maybe it's just a personal preference thing, but I prefer the Wild West steez where it was more about the survival of the fittest rather than the survival of the most hiding-behind-the-system-for-protection-est.

For someone who berates others for not being able to see beyond their own region, you are incredibly blind to what is happening outside of your world. Blind or willingly ignorant.

Look beyond your own nose and talk about our generation being wimps. It doesn?t take fighting in a war to show fortitude, independent thought and rolling with the punches. Look beyond your macho Wild West fantasies and see how ?survival of the fittest? is working for child prostitutes and child soldiers, for women in the Congo and in places like Darfur, Sri Lanka and Kingston?how about disabled folks worldwide? Easy to talk about it when you?re a working, English-speaking able-bodied white man in America, isn?t it?

You coulda saved your breath on that, in that I wasn't calling any of those people wimps. I'm talking about Western world computer users like us. Shit, I'm half the macho man I should be just like any of us. And that's not to say that the sensitive side of man shouldn't be maximized right along with the tough guy side. I'm just saying that people nowadays, including myself, seem to look for any chance they can to cop out. And that certainly helps our life expectancy, but I'm not so sure it helps our inner fortitude. Too much bullshit nowadays goes unchecked by an apathetic mass of wimps...again, me included.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

But I will say that our generation is by far the wimpiest in the history of the world. Our parents and their parents and their parents fought in wars where they were giving up their lives, in some cases for seemingly nothing, before they were even reaching the age of 24. They would run straight into machine gun fire, letting the chips fall where they may. Not that I suggest that for anyone...but how do we get from that sort of thing to thinking that we are so defenseless in our lives today and thus dependent on cops and judges to sort out all of our problems? Maybe it's just a personal preference thing, but I prefer the Wild West steez where it was more about the survival of the fittest rather than the survival of the most hiding-behind-the-system-for-protection-est.

You sound totally unsuited for life in civil society.

There's a gang of kids of this generation running into machine gun fire as we speak.

Point noted...and those kids are the cream of the crop in many ways.

Unfuckingbelievable.

And you expect anyone to take your concern for what is happening in Afghanistan seriously?

Why are you mad that I'm commending[/b] people for making the ultimate sacrifice?

My comment was looking at soldiers with respect...saying they are the cream of the crop.

*but go ahead and storm off if that's just what you do.*

Story of my life.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    Too much bullshit nowadays goes unchecked

i thought people were doing a pretty good job calling you out on this thread.

• crazypoprockcrazypoprock 1,037 Posts
    my place was broken into last night...my music room is by the fire escape and they got thru the window, pushed my desk out and knocked over my speakers and gear...it was pretty crazy in there. At first it looked like nothing was missing...then we checked my girlfriend's bag and her cash and laptop was gone...bummer. I'm not a big fan of fire escapes at the moment.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

You pull a BeeBee gun on some random fool with a CHL and you might just learn the last lesson of your life.

I really can't make any sense of this kind of talk, in my case at least. Shit just happens way too fast.

Lets just say the exact same thing happens to me again, only the prep has a real gunthis time...
    It took less than two seconds for the gunman spot and be up on me. Even if I had some ClintEastwood style reactions, he still had his weapon trained on me the whole time. Not even accounting for the two fellas who came up behind me. If they had been armed, then forget about it. All I could see happening if I had a gun is that they'd have found it while searching me and the danger would escalate thirty-fold.

Not to mention, if criminals know regular people are packing, all that would mean is next time all four dudes would be packing. You'd still be up shit creek, with the exception being that now, since you've got a deadly weapon too, youve become much more of a threat to four psychos with firearms.

I really hope something good comes out of this.

Yeah, who knows. I'd like to be able to put my faith in some kind of rehabilitative program ... but judging by what goes on in this city I won't be holding my breath.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Dude, he just said he prefers 'the Wild West steez'!
    Harvey actually believes that back in the good old days no one called the cops when they got robbed. Real men worked that shit out and investigated on their own! TCB!

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts

steez? seriously delusional trust fund dbag babble..

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Yeah, who knows. I'd like to be able to put my faith in some kind of rehabilitative program ... but judging by what goes on in this city I won't be holding my breath.

Which city?

Harvey actually believes that back in the good old days no one called the cops when they got robbed. Real men worked that shit out and investigated on their own! TCB!

Back in the day, the person who got robbed was likely to get deputized by the sheriff...staying actively involved in the process of bringing justice. It wasn't just a phone call and then likely false hope that maybe something will be done.

steez? seriously delusional trust fund dbag babble..

Trust fund???

Talk about delusional...

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Back in the day, the person who got robbed was likely to get deputized by the sheriff...staying actively involved in the process of bringing justice. It wasn't just a phone call and then likely false hope that maybe something will be done.

Oh for the days of vigilante justice. I lament the existence of my job and other obligations that prevent me from taking to the streets full-time and meting out justice Punisher style.

Oh for the days of vigilante justice. I lament the existence of my job and other obligations that prevent me from taking to the streets full-time and meting out justice Punisher style.

Because you'd rather have someone do your dirty work for you...your preference.

Yet your society is still failing.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I quite enjoy how you romanticize what has to be one of the most brutal and ugly times to survive in this country (The 'taming' of the West) into these simplified 'facts'. What is your source for this being how criminal investigations were handled back in the day? And even if this was the case, how is this 'survival of the fittest'? Sounds more like 'tough shit' to me.

• thropethrope 750 Posts
    someone make a Harv-RedDeadRedemption crossover .jpg

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    my place was broken into last night...my music room is by the fire escape and they got thru the window, pushed my desk out and knocked over my speakers and gear...it was pretty crazy in there. At first it looked like nothing was missing...then we checked my girlfriend's bag and her cash and laptop was gone...bummer. I'm not a big fan of fire escapes at the moment.

Damn. Sorry to hear.

• Pretty good episode of Shied's World.

There is a kernel of truth to what he says about staying outside the police and justice system to resolve matters in certain neighborhoods. But this only works and is worthwhile in very specific circumstances.

I would confine this approach to (1) when a patriarch or matriarch of the neighborhood definitely exists (which is not always the case), (2) when you are certain that the offenders are minors who live in your immediate neighborhood and (3) property crimes over violent assaults or rapes.

Harvey is right that the non-police approach is the most practical some specific circumstances. I say "practical" and not necessarily "right" - to avoid the unnecessary and club-footed philosophical debate on the value of punishment, deterrence and paperwork.

In some neighborhoods, you as an urban pioneer will get NOTHING by calling the police. You won't get your property back, your neighbors will think of you as a snitch, and you may be robbed again.

I remember a friend who lived in the Cabbagetown neighborhood in Atlanta in the mid-90s when it was still a little rough with dangerous little urban hillbillies. One day he came home and found his door kicked in and his bass amp gone. Rather than call the police, he went to the neighborhood "matriarch" and told her what happened. Within a few hours, his amp was returned. His home was not burglarized again.

If he had called the police, he would have alienated his entrenched neighbors and probably not gotten his amp back after a brief, clumsy APD investigation was exhausted.

In the Humboldt Park neighborhood of Chicago, I know of one block where a strong "patriarch" lives. If you get burglarized, or your house gets tagged, or kids are breaking bottles on your stoop and disrespecting you, you can go talk to the patriarch and if the offenders live in the immediate neighborhood, the issue will be quickly resolved.

The original poster described an armed robbery committed by teens who did not live in the immediate neighborhood. Even if a true Main Man or Woman exists, this is nothing that the neighborhood patriarch or matriarch can control.

If you live in a big city and move into a neighborhood you didn't grow up in, you are to a certain extent increasing the chances that you will be f'ed with. It is up to you how to handle it. If you don't get to know your neighbors, then you may see the Police as your only friend. But the Police often fail everyone involved.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Pretty good episode of Shied's World.

Which city?

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

There's like this entire segment of the city that has just completely slipped through the cracks of functioning society. The city fails its people, and the people fail eachother.

• one of my good friends has a CHL and the other month he was at the galleria in houston and had to take a piss. he walked over to the bathroom by chili's and went to a urinal. 3 teenagers came in and attempted to jack him. he pulled his gun out of his back pocket and was like" nuhhhh uhhhhhhh!!" and they took off running out of the bathroom.

he was telling me that when he told someone else the story they were like "did you call the cops?!?!?!"

he goes "fuck no! i was the cops!!"

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts