robbery advice

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
So, long story short:- I was held up on the streets over the weekend- Cops were called- Robber kids MIGHT have seen me talking to the police- Robber kids caught shortly afterwards, with a (beebee) gun and some of my property- Cops now want me to try and make photo IDs or "they can't charge them" with anything.All this leads me to believe that the kids aren't cooperating and I'm going to have to become more involved in this thing. Will doing so make me a marked man? Am I already anyways? I'm already way to paranoid of a person to be dealing with things like this...

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If you are the type to call the cops in the first place, you might as well follow through on allowing the cops to do what cops do.

But then again, you got robbed by kids with a bb gun?

• Harvey, what type of person are you when it comes to stuff like this?

Ciao,

Dress

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I didn't call them, the place i went to use a phone ended up doing so. And hey, it was the first time this has happened to me. Next time I'll be more critical as to whether the black pistol being flashed at me is authentic or not.

Harvey, what type of person are you when it comes to stuff like this?

Ciao,

Dress

Not apt to call the cops on kids type.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    You really should have asked to see the gun up close.

If you would not have involved the police yourself, and you do not feel comfortable being involved in it now, then you can decline the police's offer.

So, have they indicated that these kids are known to them? Or that there have been numerous reports of similar muggings?

• coolchriscoolchris 301 Posts
    If there was no serious injury. Let it go.

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    i'm sorry but held ut at gunpoint is held up at gunpoint. put em away. or let it go if you're scared of reprisal.

I didn't call them, the place i went to use a phone ended up doing so. And hey, it was the first time this has happened to me. Next time I'll be more critical as to whether the black pistol being flashed at me is authentic or not.

Yeah, I get it. Not sure why you gotta ask Soulstrut for help on this though...and in doing so you had to expect some clowning coming your way.

In the end, you only risked being stung...and that's only if the bb happened to hit bare skin. So, count up how much money you lost...and then decide if that's worth getting some kids thrown in jail over.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    If there was no serious injury. Let it go.

Fuck that. You rob someone and get caught you should pay the price.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    some truly terrible advice in this thraed.

you have nothing to be embarrassed about for calling the cops on "kids" who pointed a weapon at you and jacked you on the street.

be responsible and follow up on your complaint. it will be for the judge to determine how "serious" this incident was and to mete out the proper punishment.

anyone who thinks it is ok for a person of any age to roam around in gangs terrorizing people on the streets with firearms has some really strange priorities.

also, this whole "no snitching" deal is completely idiotic. how is it "snitching" to report when someone commits a serious offence against you?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

be responsible and follow up on your complaint.

What complaint?

The cops and the overzealous, overbloated American "justice" system aren't the only ways to deal with hooligans...especially of the juvenile variety.

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    you should retaliate on the streets without police involvement or your rep is forever tainted

be responsible and follow up on your complaint.

What complaint?

oh, i read the thread wrong, someone else made the complaint.

let me re-phrase: the police are not your enemy in this situation. the responsible thing to do for your community is to provide the police with information so they can complete an investigation and lay charges if necessary.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    See if the cops can arrange a meeting between you and the kids and ask them how much they would charge you on a weekly basis to leave you alone.

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Put um away and stop continuing to be a victim.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    The cops and the overzealous, overbloated American "justice" system aren't the only ways to deal with hooligans...especially of the juvenile variety.

So these are just "hooligans" with no chance of pulling a real gun on myself or someone else next time?

Not to mention the only reason these idiot kids got caught is half an hour after pulling this shit, they're still walking around my neighborhood all non-nonchalantly. Aren't you supposed to do your dirt and hop on the next bus back to your end of town??

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

So these are just "hooligans" with no chance of pulling a real gun on myself or someone else next time?

Not to mention the only reason these idiot kids got caught is half an hour after pulling this shit, they're still walking around my neighborhood all non-nonchalantly. Aren't you supposed to do your dirt and hop on the next bus back to your end of town??

I doubt they have any understanding of consequences.

am i the only one wondering how different some of the strut's answers would be had it been some bored preppy kids threatening violence at the golf course?

am i the only one wondering how different some of the strut's answers would be had it been some bored preppy kids threatening violence at the golf course?

what's your point? armed robbery is armed robbery.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Like others have noted, I'm not sure why you're asking for advice on this. None of us can tell you what the consequences (for you) would be if you press charges but my sense is that you clearly WANT to press charges (or least, ID these guys in a line-up) but you're also scared over the possibility of retaliation. So what's more important to you here?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Not on SoulStrut it isn't.

• Harvey, would you let it slide because it's "kids stuff" or would you handle your business like a "real man" in the street?

Dress

Harvey, would you let it slide because it's "kids stuff" or would you handle your business like a "real man" in the street?

Dress

I would take it to the hood...either by a. addressing it with the kids' guardians directly or b. addressing it with the guardians of the hood...or c. both.

In my own neighborhood, that would mean talking it over with the mens of my street and deciding how to handle it from there. And it would be highly unlikely that we'd decide to take it to the cops.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    No real good answer. On one hand, some stupid kids could get charged with a very serious crime, possibly a felony. On the other hand, these same kids likely continue behavior, thinking they can get away with it unscathed.

Real or fake, threatening anyone with a gun to get money is a scary thing.

Do what you think is right, Button.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I would break into their homes and piss on their carpet.

Only then can you truly feel justice has been served.

the handing out of free passes due to class implications.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    In my own neighborhood, that would mean talking it over with the mens of my street and deciding how to handle it from there. And it would be highly unlikely that we'd decide to take it to the cops.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    wwmrcokedo?

• How old were these kids? Did they say anything to you? Have you seen them before?

These are all factors I'd take into consideration.