robbery advice

Comments

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I'm about to lose it up here, reading you guys using "bike theft" as the example of "some petty crime." The F! you guys must be on per cassettes bro wtf I'D GO VIGILANTE JUSTICE ON A BIKE RUSTLER

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    man fuck the bullshit...no one should be pointing shit at me. i swear to god, when little kids (i'm talking as young as 4 year old) point a toy gun or water gun at me, i give them some stonrg words to convey that what they are doing is not at all acceptable...i'm all for letting parents discipline their own damn kids, but ive done this in front of parents numerous times (why kids are always pointing their pieces at me, i havent figured out yet). that shit aint cute and it can get even little kids in trouble.

being mugged with a firing weapon is no joke either. im very comfortable talking to parents, but whats to say i will have that opportunity, or know where to find them? cops in philly are brutal, but they usually want to avoid paperwork...so id tell them straight up id rather speak to their folks rather than press charges. still, no guarentee the cops will arrange that, the parents care, etc.

if the kids are over 16, fuck the bullshit, let the cops deal with it. 16 year olds around here think theyre adults and know damn well what theyre doing sticking people up. they probly know thye can get off reeeeeal light for being a minor.

regarding reprisals, do they know where you live? as long as your not being all vocal about giving them life in prison and show a little humanity, there wouldnt seem to be much call for fear. unless youre dealing with little wu gambinos...in that case you may as well start arranging witness protection immediately

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Black plastic waterguns = 5 years in jail!!!!!!

I've had friends and non-friends for that matter shoot me with bb guns several different times in my life...some out of joking, others out of spite. It's not a deadly weapon and only an eye shot could cause much damage. It's certainly not something I would condone and like I said dudes in my world would still be dealth with...I just don't see it as an offense that deserves to have the kids' lives forever altered in x number of ways by throwing them into the court system.

well now you're just arguing for arguing's sake...

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I've had friends and non-friends for that matter shoot me with bb guns several different times in my life...some out of joking, others out of spite. It's not a deadly weapon and only an eye shot could cause much damage. It's certainly not something I would condone and like I said dudes in my world would still be dealth with...I just don't see it as an offense that deserves to have the kids' lives forever altered in x number of ways by throwing them into the court system.

Shied, what you don't seem to understand is that for purposes of the crime under discussion here--assault--the distinction doesn't matter. It looks like a gun, it was presented as a gun, and the vic held a reasonable belief that it could be used on him as a gun.

For purposes of the separate crime of illegal possession of a gun, it obviously does matter, but that's not what we're talking about.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Right and here's the rub -- you present a toy as the real deal and those evil cops might believe it, and they'd be right do so.

I've had friends and non-friends for that matter shoot me with bb guns several different times in my life...

somehow this didnt surprise me.

harvey..when someone steps to you and forces you to give up your shit, its a serious thing. i dont know how old these kids are, but they probably would not be locked up or have their lives ruined. they would get a review of their records and some type of intervention. if i knew my police department was on some absolutely gestapo shit, i would probably think twice about getting them involved, true. but it would be pretty lucky to have the opportunity to intervene yourself...and the great majority of people wouldnt feel comfortable to do so even if the opportuntiy presented itself...and theyd probably exacerbate the problem

my opinion is
    cooperate with the cops, if they are 15 or less offer to talk to parents, always advocate for children, but keep in mind they could even more easily have jacked one of your grandparents.there is no place for that shit in the village

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Shied, what you don't seem to understand is that for purposes of the crime under discussion here--assault--the distinction doesn't matter. It looks like a gun, it was presented as a gun, and the vic held a reasonable belief that it could be used on him as a gun.

For purposes of the separate crime of illegal possession of a gun, it obviously does matter, but that's not what we're talking about.

What we're talking about is what each of us as individuals would do. Never said noone has the right to call the cops or press charges...just said that I wouldn't.

Right and here's the rub -- you present a toy as the real deal and those evil cops might believe it, and they'd be right do so.
    agree with this and what faux said. which is why i am stern with the littel ones who point toys. it is a practice that can get them shot when the evening shadows are long and they are in the wrong place

What we're talking about is what each of us as individuals would do. Never said noone has the right to call the cops or press charges...just said that I wouldn't.

Right, I guess my comment was intended for those interested in having a discussion that extends beyond your private mindgarden.

harvey...i'm with you about circumventing the system when its kids in the neighborhood who you can trace to their house.

What if one gets robbed w/ a snowball?

Can a cop draw his gun if his car is hit by 30 snowballs?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    So I assume everyone is against buying little Timmy a toy gun for his 3rd birthdsy?

So I assume everyone is against buying little Timmy a toy gun for his 3rd birthdsy?

Does that mean skipping The Wire as well?

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    this is kind of directed towards Harvey & Bassie, but is really open to anyone:

i totally agree that going to the cops with this is problematic, complicated and a ways from ideal, for reasons y'all have already mentioned.

but i also think Harvey's solution of going to the kids' guardians or neighborhood authority figures isn't going to be a realistic option in a lot of cases. maybe you don't know these figures, maybe they don't exist, aren't reliable, don't trust you/respect you enough to help, etc. etc.

my question is: is there a 3rd option at all? i.e. if they're not in a position to deal with it by going to the guardians, are they stuck with dropping it or going to the cops?

3rd option is to watch the very fabric of society be torn apart.

Does that mean skipping The Wire as well?

Three year olds should not be watching The Wire. Some 30 year olds should not be watching The Wire.

i totally agree that going to the cops with this is problematic, complicated and a ways from ideal, for reasons y'all have already mentioned.

but i also think Harvey's solution of going to the kids' guardians or neighborhood authority figures isn't going to be a realistic option in a lot of cases. maybe you don't know these figures, maybe they don't exist, aren't reliable, don't trust you/respect you enough to help, etc. etc.

my question is: is there a 3rd option at all? i.e. if they're not in a position to deal with it by going to the guardians, are they stuck with dropping it or going to the cops?

Kick the toy gun out of kid's hand. If you are an adult male and haven't trained yourself to fight more than one person kid at a time, even if one is armed...then start training now.

Our lives really aren't that valuable...fuck it, sometimes you just gotta DEAL!

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    exactly. real life is just like a dolemite film.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    make the private ownership of (real) handguns illegal and accompany that with mandatory jail time for anyone caught in possession of a gun. make it a serious crime.

Kick the toy gun out of kid's hand. If you are an adult male and haven't trained yourself to fight more than one person kid at a time, even if one is armed...then start training now.

wow

In this particular case, I don't know.

How old are they?
    Are they repeat offenders?
    If so, have other avenues been tried and didn't work?
    What will happen to them if they are arrested?
    If they are charged?

I really don't think there is a sweeping answer to this, a formula to draw from.

To speak to an earlier point, yes, obviously not every situation affords people the time to ask for details and think about what the right thing to do might be. This case does have that.
    Honestly, I would probably have a conversation with the cops, explain my worries and hesitations and take it from there.

exactly. real life is just like a dolemite film.

When I was a kid, my dad got jumped by a dude with a knife. He knocked the knife outta dude's hand, whooped him a bit, and then moved on without bothering to call the cops. REAL LIFE!

• dayday 9,612 Posts

You really only read the parts you want, don't you?

Dude didn't know it was a BB gun until after he was robbed.[/b]

Here are some examples so you can SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Now you can go back to your Blankman fantasies of kicking robbers and saving your hood, oh great white savior.

You really only read the parts you want, don't you?

Dude didn't know it was a BB gun until after he was robbed.[/b]

Here are some examples so you can SHUT THE FUCK UP.

Now you can go back to your Blankman fantasies of kicking robbers and saving your hood, oh great white savior.

It was still a kid holding it, right?

And the discussion starts with him knowing it was a bb gun and asking if he should persue pressing charges.

And what does me being white have to do with anything?

You are an assclown, Day...even with the nice studio.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

I gotta hand it to Harvey. First he makes a case for a kid that is robbing people at gunpoint having a parent or guardian some stranger/victim could approach about their child's transgression, now he is suggesting that if you have the misfortune to be robbed at gunpoint by such feral youth that you are pretty much a pussy who can't defend himself and maybe a visit to Mr. Miyagi is more in order than a neighborhood watch meeting at the local Police Station!

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    make the private ownership of (real) handguns illegal and accompany that with mandatory jail time for anyone caught in possession of a gun. make it a serious crime.

In the US, people have a constitutional right to posess a firearm.Kinda complicates your suggestion, unless you live in DC.

DON'T BE SCARED OF KIDS WITH GUNS: GOT IT.

Blankman

I gotta hand it to Harvey. First he makes a case for a kid that is robbing people at gunpoint having a parent or guardian some stranger/victim could approach about their child's transgression, now he is suggesting that if you have the misfortune to be robbed at gunpoint by such feral youth that you are pretty much a pussy who can't defend himself and maybe a visit to Mr. Miyagi is more in order than a neighborhood watch meeting at the local Police Station!

That is a given...and the reason why I mentioned expecting to be clowned right at the beginning of the thread. Getting ganked by kids with a bb gun is not something I would want to broadcast over the internet. It's understandable, but still embarrassing.