Watch the This Is the Life doc for free

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Excellent documentary on the Good Life Cafe...http://www.hulu.com/watch/150135/this-is-the-life

Comments

• JusMeJusMe 68 Posts
    only available in u.s.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Brought to you by Gerber? Yaz ads? Somebody's disconnected.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    well done

CVE =

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Awesome... just burned a roach and will zone out to this!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Highly recommended!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    is that ghanja k song at the 36/37 minute mark available on any releases?

I dig it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    is that ghanja k song at the 36/37 minute mark available on any releases?

I dig it.

That's a verse from a song called Heavyweights taken from Freestyle Fellowship's Inner City Griots album.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    No Migiddy!

• magneticmagnetic 2,678 Posts
    only available in u.s.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    thanks for posting this harvey. i was completely ignorant of almost everything in there--now i'm slightly less so and better off for it.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    only available in u.s.

Although I gotta cop that DVD, for the bonus segment about the Nonce.

CVE =

Fish especially is such a trip...

At 0:26:25 watch Fish approach the rapper getting please pass the mic'ed.

During the Fat Joe segment, you can hear Fish immediately responding to Joe with "it ain't jealosy".

Then to top it all.."You're two thousand Crows. If nineteen hundred and ninety nine...or ninety eight...is wack, then what do that make your crew?"

Also, love these quotes...

"Please pass the mic is not a dis. It?s a Good Life constructive criticism to all upcoming artists and it?s subject to everybody. So that?s just the way we?re rolling." - JMD

"The rules of the Good Life is not being wack. Don?t be wack." ? Ganjah K

Had a funny convo with my man Karma last night, where he told me about the time way back that he and Kirby went down to Blowed and were made to freestyle by Rifleman himself... dude was shitting, basically. They pulled it off but you get a sense from the footage here of how shook even the fiercest MC might have been walking into the lion's den like that...

I saw Source of Labor get please pass the miced. It was ultimately because they slipped up and cursed, but they were on the verge of getting booted just for not being more dynamic with their flows. You just couldn't be formulaic there. You could certainly spit writtens...as the doc clearly illustrates. But it better have some display of skillfullness in it, or it got no love.

Someone that the doc doesn't mention at all, although it shows him a few times is Chu Chu...who was the host for at least a couple years at the Good Life. He's the one doing the hey ho, ya gotta go dance during the please pass the mic segment. So whereas Khule was definitely the ringleader, if you were wack...Chu would openly clown the fuck out of you.

It's pretty awesome. One of these days I'll put the legwork into finding out why places like Ya Mama's, and events like Unsigned & Hella Broke never developed either the community or the talent that Good Life did.

It's pretty awesome. One of these days I'll put the legwork into finding out why places like Ya Mama's, and events like Unsigned & Hella Broke never developed either the community or the talent that Good Life did.

Yes, why in LA can Busdriver and RBX be seen as being on the same team? Whereas in the Bay, Saafir and San Quinn are somehow worlds apart...

• 4YearGraduate4YearGraduate 2,945 Posts
    I think part of the answer was the sheer stakes involved.
    No other place in the world could you get stabbed for being wack.

Plus people (sometimes rightfully so) act like LA is a musical joke, but it really isntthe case for people raised here.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Sonnin' Fat Joe is not a major accomplishment.

I sense jealousy.

Fat Joe wasn't the only one... Robert can probably name some others but there was ALWAYS a rumor about this or that major act getting "Please Pass The Mic'd" at Good Life and later Project Blowed.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Sonning Fat Joe would not have happened anywhere else...it was a big deal at the time

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    The DVD has some nice extras that's not on there.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Stupid Hulu - I'd really like to have seen this. If anyone gets word of it being streamed on Vimeo or some other more Euroman-friendly host, plaese to be holleratin'.

• CVE and that Calistylics is crazy. "Hut 2, 3, 4."

CVE and that Calistylics is crazy. "Hut 2, 3, 4."

Maybe you already know this, but "Calistylics" and "Hut 2 3 4" are actually entirely different songs by CVE...

I sense jealousy.

Ill take the bait.

Seriously.

No matter how hard he comes off, when has Joe ever been regarded as a lyrical threat?

Herbin a signed artist w/ a hit is fun to do, but shit is like Vince Carter dunking on Muggsy Bogues. U dont get a medal for that.

As for other signed cats who got The Mic Passed, I'd rather hear that from a story standpoint.

I sense jealousy.

Ill take the bait.

Seriously.

No matter how hard he comes off, when has Joe ever been regarded as a lyrical threat?

Herbin a signed artist w/ a hit is fun to do, but shit is like Vince Carter dunking on Muggsy Bogues. U dont get a medal for that.

As for other signed cats who got The Mic Passed, I'd rather hear that from a story standpoint.

There was really no bait to take...I merely quoted what Joe said in response to getting booed.

I actually don't think clowning Joe, a clown, is all that big a statement either. He had no business even stepping in that place.

I sense jealousy.

Ill take the bait.

Seriously.

There was really no bait to take...I merely quoted what Joe said in response to getting booed.

I actually don't think clowning Joe, a clown, is all that big a statement either. He had no business even stepping in that place.

I agree.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    I think Joey Crack was considered a dope MC prior to doing that hip-pop song with Ashanti ("What's Love Got to Do, Got to Do") and getting dissed by Fifty Cent. I still think he's a "lyrical threat" and can bring it on occasion.

b/w

Man, this documentary is dope. I feel ashamed for not being up on this movement when it originally happened.

I think Joey Crack was considered a dope MC prior to doing that hip-pop song with Ashanti ("What's Love Got to Do, Got to Do") and getting dissed by Fifty Cent. I still think he's a "lyrical threat" and can bring it on occasion.

Please stop posting in Hip Hop threads.