Current Popular Celebrity DJ (local tiesto exp-R)

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Yeah, I don't think I would put Oakenfold in the same field. While not a fan of his music, dude has been doing his thing for over 30 years. Started by playing soul in the late 70 and was a small part of hip hop catching on in the 80's in the UK.

And the music may not be your thing (It's not mine). But dude has probably played live for more people than any DJ on the planet.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

A alikes:

Photobucket

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    This thread is the most confused thread in a while... What are you dudes even talking about? Celebrity DJs or DJs that happen to be celebrities?

this is what im talmbout:

mgmt companies, rotating djs within a roster of say 30 x that with the 3 companies, where for the most part, you really cant distinguish what separates one from another.. aside from hair product or a smile.... all of which get paid far too much for being over rated, manufactured hype.
    im not in that lane, but ive heard and seen enough to know.

im telling you ... its akin to being a stripper.

djs dont get called out anymore for tired, non risk taking, sound the same...straight up mediocrity.

ok, i gotta get back to making quick hitter mash ups.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    Pretty much, in a nutshell.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts

Former NBA star Dennis Rodman has long been known for his theatrical antics and big-time party ways. Now he's cashing in on that reputation -- and his apparent music skills -- by launching a new career.
    Rodman is becoming a Celebrity DJ. He's slated to appear at night clubs all over the world starting April 23, 2010 at Ultra 88 Nightclub in the Mohegan Sun.

This is exactly what I'm speaking of. Wonder if he'll be rocking special Tom Moulton mixed white label 12"s on a urei rotary mixer and a bozak isolater? I'm sure at some point he will most definitely be isolating his bozack. The funny thing would be if he showed up with dumb crates all originals and tore shit down. I somehow doubt he'll be doing that.

And now Nick Hogan. He's from Miami right? Wonder if he'll be rocking doubles of the Mighty Ryeders...

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Former NBA star Dennis Rodman has long been known for his theatrical antics and big-time party ways. Now he's cashing in on that reputation -- and his apparent music skills -- by launching a new career.
    Rodman is becoming a Celebrity DJ. He's slated to appear at night clubs all over the world starting April 23, 2010 at Ultra 88 Nightclub in the Mohegan Sun.

This is exactly what I'm speaking of. Wonder if he'll be rocking special Tom Moulton mixed white label 12"s on a urei rotary mixer and a bozak isolater? I'm sure at some point he will most definitely be isolating his bozack. The funny thing would be if he showed up with dumb crates all originals and tore shit down. I somehow doubt he'll be doing that.

And now Nick Hogan. He's from Miami right? Wonder if he'll be rocking doubles of the Mighty Ryeders...

Jesus Christ.

Really in all honesty a lot of if not NONE of this would be going on without the fabulous invention called S.erato. Agree?

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Really in all honesty a lot of if not NONE of this would be going on without the fabulous invention called S.erato. Agree?

Real turntables (for records) demand skills.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    That's my whole point!! DJing comes with a instructions manual now. These DJ's are just glorified iPods.

And, to what Stacks said. Real records, Real skills.

no shots or disrespect what so ever.... but also the help of dj am. he really propelled this influx of cali/ hollywood wannabees... and mgmt took note.

prior to him, it was strictly house djs.

like riz wasnt getting it in like he does now, pre dj am craze.

i cant fully co-sign the ser.ato thing... cdjs have been around forever, tons of fools were already on some "i dj too". there was no program to learn, just pop in your cd.. premixed at that !

These cats came through the spot but their name slips my mind right now. Two djs a house team. They used three cdjs. On the first one they rocked a 4/4 130 bpm drum track. the same exact drum track and tempo for four hours straight and brought in sounds basslines etc. on the other two cdjs. Wow how cool!

*preeeeeeeeemixxxxxxxx.

im not mad at anybody making a living, just the redundancy.
    any monkey can play the current hits and obtain dj so and so's hard drive...yet still not know how to run the jams.

you may be the most technically gifted dj...but..thats about it battle boy turned dj bobby bottle service.
    go back to cutting up rawkus 12"s. i dont want to hear your latest 80 million dj mash up a.d.d. cd.

musical depth, knowledge, programming, timing, etc... all come with alot of time and experience. this is why most young, former "battle" djs dont really rate highly in my book.

preme, you truly must go insane. im guessing out of the 100 vegas/cali djs rotating... 20 are doing it.

i feel when its all said and done, as with everything... its back to basics.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

Undertalented DJs preceded the invention of S.erato. They've existed ever since DJing was seen as something either 1) cool or 2) profitable.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

i feel when its all said and done, as with everything... its back to basics.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

Undertalented DJs preceded the invention of S.erato. They've existed ever since DJing was seen as something either 1) cool or 2) profitable.

Dude use to tell me stories about how he couldn't DJ to save his life in the 70's. Top billing, only to show up and let some kid spin while he sold drugs... He's get 75% of the booking fee while the kid got 25%.

Hip Hop shows with DJ's that can't spin a record with the music playing off a DAT?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    These cats came through the spot but their name slips my mind right now. Two djs a house team. They used three cdjs. On the first one they rocked a 4/4 130 bpm drum track. the same exact drum track and tempo for four hours straight and brought in sounds basslines etc. on the other two cdjs. Wow how cool!

Not The Martinez Brothers, was it? I've heard good things about those guys.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    man i just lost the last grain of respect i had for Rodman

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    man i just lost the last grain of respect i had for Rodman

Just now? I am surprised he's allowed to travel freely. Dude is obviously hurting for cash.

When I think of "celebrity DJs" I always think of that Vote For Pedro guy from Napoleon Dynamite or that Mom Jeans douche from "That 70s Show."

Oakenfold, as awful as he is, paid his dues times one hundred.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Oh, for fu[/b]ck's sake.

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    as much as i agree with everyone on here, i think its probably best to focus your energy on creating your own niche. a lot of you live in major cities and directly feel the effect of celebrity djs stealin gigs or opportunities to have a dope party. it happens quite a bit out here in miami. i used to be mad a lot of the time when i saw who would be playing here or there making big money. now i think it best to just use my time to perfect what i do and keep it interesting.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    just pop in your cd.. premixed at that !

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

this may be true, but in a ratio of 1/100 of what we see post s.erato. people should generally not complain though because the truth is that djing clubs has never been a meritocracy. before s.erato, there were bedroom djs who never got any shine and top club djs who didn't deserve to get paid.

the bottom line is that in an overwhelming majority of cases, the dj talent agencies such as Skam, Deckstar and Moodswing, did not make the dj. the dj already had a following and high paying gigs, and not necessarily deservedly so.

unless you have a following, your market rate as a dj is pretty much shit. therefore, if you actually care about making good money as a dj, either become a celebrity, a hot girl, or be one of those win-the-lottery types who just happen to be friends with the right promoters/club owners. otherwise, get really, really good and people will start to follow you.

this may be true, but in a ratio of 1/100 of what we see post s.erato. people should generally not complain though because the truth is that djing clubs has never been a meritocracy. before s.erato, there were bedroom djs who never got any shine and top club djs who didn't deserve to get paid.

the bottom line is that in an overwhelming majority of cases, the dj talent agencies such as Skam, Deckstar and Moodswing, did not make the dj. the dj already had a following and high paying gigs, and not necessarily deservedly so.

unless you have a following, your market rate as a dj is pretty much shit. therefore, if you actually care about making good money as a dj, either become a celebrity, a hot girl, or be one of those win-the-lottery types who just happen to be friends with the right promoters/club owners. otherwise, get really, really good and people will start to follow you.

I agree. very well said my friend. I know one dj in particular that is a local bedroom dj. And in all honesty is probably one of if not thee illest scratcher/battle dudes I've ever seen. He doesn't think he is so he practices harder all day every day. Q bert came to town and seen him and flipped the fuck out. Asked him to join I.S.P and he declined because he thought he wasn't worthy and didn't deserve that position. However, is sitting around broke and totally unknown by anyone.

I also, remember Jay Z asking Rob Swift to be his dj and Rob declining because Jay was too commercial.

The dj game is a hustle at the end of the day. Has a lot to do with politics, looks and who you know.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

Dude over her shoulder is thinking, "How is she DJ'ing when there's a record on the turntable?"

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts

Dude over her shoulder is thinking, "How is she DJ'ing when there's a record on the turntable?"

i'd be looking at her, eff a record.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    [
    I also, remember Jay Z asking Rob Swift to be his dj and Rob declining because Jay was too commercial.

wow,

I ride for Solange anyway, but a friend of mine was at some Fashion Week after-party thing she DJ'ed at a few months back and, by all accounts, she kilteded it.

See, that doesn't make any sense to me.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Nah man, you gotta put yourself back at that time. Around the time Reasonable Doubt dropped, and even past that... the hip-hop world's mind was all but made up about the one called Jigga. I mean, a LOT of dudes who would profess love for Jay years later, even some of my mans that's riding for his current work (ugh) were straight up HATING on his shit back in the "Ain't No"/"Sunshine" era.

It doesn't surprise me - at all - that Rob Swift might've turned down that gig for those reasons. Schitt was different back then.