Current Popular Celebrity DJ (local tiesto exp-R)

DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
I hate that title alone "Celebrity DJ". Anyway before I go on I must make it clear that I'm in no way a "HATER" but it may seem that way in some of the things I say but is so far from the case. Last week one of hip hop's all time dopest djs Cash Money was going off on Twitter about current djs getting shine/work. There are a few top dj agency groups really running shit right now. S.K.A.M is probably at the top. They handle D Nice, Jermaine Dupri, Rocktakon and others. Cash was going on about how come a lot of wack djs are on with agencies and getting a lot of high paying gigs while guys like himself, q bert, scratch, craze etc. aren't. I talked with a manager at one of these agencies about this. He said no one knows who cash money is that he isn't young money. Ok true. However, if they took him under their wing and placed him in big clubs like they do some of their other djs (see video posted) then they would! Seriously though what's up with these management companies. They told me you have to be young and appeal to 21 year olds and they have to relate to you. This girl in the video right here appeals to 21 year olds? And for real wtf is she doing?!?! How is that even deejaying?!?!?!?! She is dancing around more than anything.

Remember I'm not hating but stating facts. This chick is flying around getting paid to do this. I can think of 5 local no name djs off the top of my head right now that are a trillion times more skilled than her, better looking, more appealing. It's been discussed here in the past but "LOOKS" go a long way in this game. I don't know if KON is on with an agency but if not WHY not? Same with Cosmo? What's up guys chime in here and let it be known about the politics of this game. There are real solid true school djs that are just kinda around while a lot of people that probably haven't worked nearly as much, nearly as hard or even deserving that are current popular "Celebrity" dj's. I think its kinda of like dope ass rappers that are on the corner rhyming but will never ever get shine because the wack ones have a great lawyer, manager etc. But seriously this dj game is pretty much more politics than anything.

Comments

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I think that "noise" she's playing plays a big part in the appeal these DJ's have. It seems like all you have to do is make drunk white girls dance and if you do that you'll get the work. And, I've come to realize that to make said white girls dance you must play this "generic" dance music to do so. I hate this music, these clubs, this whole seen. I fucked with it 15-20 yrs ago when drugs were involved, but that was the only time I could tolerate to that type of music, when I was either trippin or rollin.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    what is DJ Irene famous for?

is it that certain people are mostly interested in paying top dollar to go to a club with a minor tmz-esque celebrity spinning whatever than to seem someone who is actually skilled?

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    What's funny is as I watched the irene video I thought this is either a lesbian bar or EVERYONE there is on drugs. LOL

On another note a club I get booked at regularly has had dj Havana Brown there twice and for the third time in 2 weeks from now. I've never heard of her. They told me she is the dj for Brittney Spears, Pussy Cat Dolls and some other pop girl band or singer. Anyway they per her $15 Grand to play and the opener told me she has two instant replay machines and just plays songs and dances around. #GTFOH

Hilarious comments on the you tube page. At any rate I've noticed one common thing in these djs is that they dance around more than anything else.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    Havana Brown sounds like the name of King Moist's favorite wicker kufi rapper.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i bet these djs don't last either, while real cats who've already been doing it for 25 years will still be doing it in 25 years... and still complaining.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Supreme: much as I agree with your basic sentiment, it seems to me DJing is, foremost, an entertainment industry. If that's true, since when was talent or skill the foremost or underlying criteria for compensation?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Why would anybody book Q-Bert or Craze to play a club?

Faux: imagine q-Bert with a stool and Scratchophone.

Are we not entertained?

Entertainment!

All entertainment for sure. I've noticed the really popular djs DANCE AROUND than anything else.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    All I can say is.

At least they can mix...

I've seen well paid DJ's that couldn't mix in a record if their lives depended on it.

Entertainment!

I once was told by a dude who booked DJ's, he won't hire scratch DJ's based on the fact that people spend too much time watching them, instead of dancing and buying drinks.

I don't know how sound that is. But I don't think you can compare these type of DJ's in the vids above.

Totally different type of scene.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Entertainment!

I once was told by a dude who booked DJ's, he won't hire scratch DJ's based on the fact that people spend too much time watching them, instead of dancing and buying drinks.

I don't know how sound that is. But I don't think you can compare these type of DJ's in the vids above.

Totally different type of scene.

Weren't they just standing around and watching DJ Irene(looking like Rosie Odonell's stunt double)??

Maybe all the talented DJs should get better managers then?

The DJ Irene clip. People are still bouncing, throwing hands up, etc etc.

While I agree with you. The fact is, The dance scenes are a different beast when it comes to money.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    There's a lot I'm NOT gonna gets started on. But yeah, Irene, she's been around since forever. In that clip it looks like she's playing "Hardcore" which is also called "Gabber" and people love that shit. Not me, but hey, different strokes for different folks. But yah Irene is a pretty big name in the dance music community especially within the gay community.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    S.K.A.M. does what it does, caters to people who go out not for the love of music but for the love of partying. It is what it is, and that's not to say that there aren't DJs on the roster that aren't dope or that don't know music - shit, Roctakon is a beast and he knows his shit. But it's a lane that certain DJs get into. I never got into it, and I'm cool cause I don't really need it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I love Cash and that's my man but he's real funny sometimes. And Q-Bert and Craze get booked plenty. Craze and I are on the same management. And Craze is a fucking wicked DJ and gets booked cause he kills parties dead.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Donald Glaude is one of the best house DJs in the country. Just saying.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    The fact is, The dance scenes are a different beast when it comes to money.

Word. You got your scenes where you got people that are on some straight hip-hop shit but that only gets you booked overseas these days. Dance music DJs get paid a grip and it's a very specialized scene but there are a million of them and for every 1 Tiesto there's 45,000 basement dudes that don't get past playing the local bar.

Dudes like Craze and A-Trak started off as battle DJs and then like Craze got into D&B and then dance music but what he does is very unique and same thing with A-Trak he got into dance and just created his own lane but will play a Dipset record at the drop of a hat.

"I love Cash and that's my man but he's real funny sometimes"

Agreed 200%!!!

The fact of the matter is that all djs mentioned have paved their way and are in their positions for a reason. Donald Glaude is a good dude and from Seattle. He started out as a hip hop dj just like bad boy bill did. Obviously and apparently club scene/dance music scene is where the $$$ is at if your a dj unless you wish to stay out of the u.s. playing. I guess the point and case I'm making is that some of but definitely not all current "celebrity" dj's are a bit suspect but that's preaching to the soul strut choir. I love how Cosmo says he's not gonna get into "a whole lot of things" but that is the exact reason why I wanted someone on his level to chime in. Because he is in the scene and can shine light on a lot of stuff. At any rate is it what it is. I'm lucky enough to be able to have dj'd without working a "real" job since 97'and make a living as well as support my family and still doing so.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    On the one hand you have the various "lanes" that Cosmo speaks of... on another hand you have the "entertainment" aspect, which to some people really is seeing Britney Spears' DJ dancing around between triggering songs off Instant Replay. To be honest, that's them and I wouldn't ever want to be there either as a party-goer, a promoter, or as a DJ.

At the end of the day you are always gonna have douchebags, assholes, and lames. You're always going to have people that want to talk down, you're always going to have people who are in it for money and not "Teh Love" and people who are going to front like they know something about music who really don't.

Every day people come into my shop on some asshole shit, and most are just regular people and some are even supposedly Big Names in DJing or music or whatever. Funny enough though, 99% of the TRUE celebrities I've had the pleasure of serving have been kind, humble, have talked to complete strangers and fans, and have dug for hours through even the most rough patch of dollar bin records.

It is what it is. I am at this point pretty much over getting worked up off of someone else's schitt. These people will ALWAYS exist and if it wasn't DJing it would be some other aspect of the Music Industry. Straight up.

It is what it is. I am at this point pretty much over getting worked up off of someone else's schitt. These people will ALWAYS exist and if it wasn't DJing it would be some other aspect of the Music Industry. Straight up.

^^^This.

And what we're talking about certainly isnt unique to the music/entertainment biz. I doubt any of us work in a profession that is fair and meritocratic.

• RAW_HAMBURGERRAW_HAMBURGER 1,438 Posts
    i honestly dont get it.
    these agencies have a zillion djs... and they all do the same cookie cutting. i cant tell whos who and what separates them.
    boston has a new big club, and they stay booking skam djs... roc has come here 2x as well as stretch...i know they are both skilled djs... but i havent heard anything positive about their sets while in boston. 101 safety net set>> robin.s remix, lady gaga, bob sinclair, electro trash, fistpumping that ends up being back round music.
    same old, same old that every dj does.. etc...so whats all the fuss?

if i were to sign on i cant be in some top 40 pop box all night. sorry.

as far as female djs, who cant really rock shit.... this girls about to take over, and im shocked an agency has yet to snatch her up...major co sign.
    http://www.facebook.com/DJMSTHANG

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I doubt any of us work in a profession that is fair and meritocratic.

Academia is arguably as bad as the Recording Industry in terms of promoting assholes and hacks to positions of power...

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    Donald Glaude is one of the best house DJs in the country. Just saying.

Donald Glaude is one of the best house DJs in the world[/b]. Just saying.

Donald is my dude! We used to do radio shows together back in the 80s in Tacoma, WA. I am glad to see him tour all over the world and do his thing.

Not on DJ's.

But I just read this. Thought someone on the strut might find it interesting. Instead of making a new thread.

http://www.takimag.com/article/why_i_quit_touring_with_the_black_eyed_peas/

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Academia is arguably as bad as the Recording Industry in terms of promoting assholes and hacks to positions of power...

Post Of The Century

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Not on DJ's.

But I just read this. Thought someone on the strut might find it interesting. Instead of making a new thread.

http://www.takimag.com/article/why_i_quit_touring_with_the_black_eyed_peas/

I hope this dude isn't too surprised when the calls stop coming in.

I don't blame him, though.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts

at least they make you jump through useless hoops in academia. one of the complaints in this thread is that some of these young celebrity dj's with no taste or skills are being handsomely rewarded without having paid dues of any kind or shown even the most perfunctory bit of dedication toward learning the craft.

what's that ewf song? "life is fair but so uncool".

What are people thoughts on say someone like Deadmau5?

I've heard the guy say he doesn't really think of himself as a DJ. And someone brought up open source DJ. Which, he is a big open source techie/nerd.

And while his music ain't really my thing. He does look like he puts on a pretty crazy show (Lighting & effects wise).

Celebrity DJ? Check lol

http://www.tmz.com/videos?autoplay=true&...isShareURL=true

More coachella video