Anybody do a post-punk DJ night?

13»

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I play Fehlfarben - Ein Jahr (es geht voran) almost every time and it works great. I'd love more stuff like that. I'm pretty sure it's the disco BWOO that does it.

I love this song and video but it clears the floor. I'm sure they must have better danceable songs.

• dwyhajlodwyhajlo 420 Posts
    The Disco Not Disco compilations might also be helpful in sussing out some key tracks, as a starting point.

I feel like a lot of this stuff (especially at the fringes of the genre) has the potential to be floor-clearing if not handled just so.

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    this is a humbling thread. there is so much good stuff out there that i had no IDEA even existed!

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Another obvious one:

Age of Chance - Kiss

Sorry, but they don't allow embedding for this clip.

• bboyparkzbboyparkz 549 Posts
    A lot of this kind of stuff is getting the re-edit treatment at the moment so it's worth checking new release disco/edit at Juno or where ever.

• i didn't realize that the material joint has been posted earlier. sorry.

• PonyPony 2,283 Posts

does any know how to preserve this thread so all this great info survives after the migration this weekend?

Sorry if this one has been posted already:

Set The Tone / Dance Sucker

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

Let Loose is a crazy tune!
    Played it out a few years ago, last tune of the night. Sounded crazy in a club.
    Sadly the doormen had thrown all customers out of the dance floor area at that point.

That Set the Tone stuff is pretty great; I was not aware of it before!

More Byrne-related stuff:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Yeah, My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts ought to be a post-punk set text. Incredible record, and an enormous musical influence on the band I was in at the time.

Since it's bump-a-favourite-thread day, some additional reading;

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/show...t=1#Post1067196

OMG. I just typed "post punk" into the search function and this was the first thread. IN the old forum I would have got every thread that contains the letter "p" of some random shit.

Pony said:

yeah. and the Our Lips are Sealed 12" has a great remix sung in Urdu.

This one was actually reissued on vinyl recently, so you won't have to drop a mint to get a hold of it.

I'm kind of wondering if some of Suicide's stuff like "Diamonds, Fur Coat, Champagne" might work at a night like this. Might be worth a shot.

dwyhajlo said:
    More Byrne-related stuff:>

12" version of this is great and easy to find. (needs to be pitched up a little IMO)

Though it's not really in the same genre, this thread reminded me of this one:

I used to listen to this all the time, around the same time when I was big into punk/hardcore, etc. Couldn't find the flipside on Youtube, which is a shame.