Industrial Rap

Comments

• minimini 879 Posts
    Silver bullet
    Hijack

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    I had the MC 900 Foot Jesus - Hell with The Lid Off album for a minute. I would put it more in an acid-influenced rap bag myself.

I'd place Divine Styler's first joint - Word Power from like 89/90 in here. It not quite as peripheral/outsider soundin' as MC 900 ft Jesus, but their are some elements there that are way different from what the other "Conscious Rap" dudes were doin at the time. Some the music had a feel that wasnt like your usual Native Tongue Wanna-Bees. It had "Industrial Leanings". Check - Ko-Existin' Euphoria.
    His next album - might be the pinnacle of "Industrial Rap" even though he only rhymes on it once........Spiral Walls Containing Autums of Light.

Feel free to shoot this down.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy
    Beatnigs
    Consolidated
    MC 900 Foot Jesus

Who among you checked?

Didn't interest me in the slightest. This was the closest I ever cared to get to that stuff.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    IMO shot down...as there was too much of this kinda stuff to even have to stretch into quirky hip-hop territory...

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    this reminds me of the two kids' Music that stole the records in High Fidelity

• used to rock this on a daily basis...

difficult to discuss without obligatory front 242 reference,
    but neither one is anywhere near rap

Isn't a dude from Pop Will Eat Itself now a big time movie soundtrack scorer or arranger?

Clint Mansell? Yeah, he's caking it like mad off the soundtracks. There's one song of his, Lux Aeterna, which came from the soundtrack of either Pi or Requiem For A Dream which gets hit up for samples as well. Lil Jon used it on Throw It Up, I think

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Yes, i listened to this music.

no i am not happy about it.

since i see some On-U mentioned, i have to say that the moment when the hashcake kicked in at their 1994 NZ concert was the highest i have ever been in my life.

i can remember walking on the music. literally, it was soft and spongey. i bounced around a while.

^^^Neither of those (Bjork & RATM) are industrial in the slightest.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    I think this post is getting ready fracture into a million little peices.
    mid 80s - early 90s industrial had ALOT in common with Rap (technologically and musically) at the time and i think the lines were often pretty blurred. Bands lke consoilidated, skinny puppy, alot of the Bill Laswell-related stuff were checking Bomb Squad, etc productions and vice-versa. They were all using the same basic technology at the time and it was probably one of the most exciting times for music in terms the blending of genres, influences, etc.
    That being said, lets wait for the inevitable Soul-Jazz Comp to sort it all out for us.

• I think this post is getting ready fracture into a million little peices.
    mid 80s - early 90s industrial had ALOT in common with Rap (technologically and musically) at the time and i think the lines were often pretty blurred. Bands lke consoilidated, skinny puppy, alot of the Bill Laswell-related stuff were checking Bomb Squad, etc productions and vice-versa. They were all using the same basic technology at the time and it was probably one of the most exciting times for music in terms the blending of genres, influences, etc.
    That being said, lets wait for the inevitable Soul-Jazz Comp to sort it all out for us.

also, tackhead chart a line through/between the genres, with their beginnings in the sugarhill records house band, their involvement with adrian sherwood/on-u, and sherwood's work with/influence on bands like ministry, nine inch nails, einst?rzende neubauten, etc.

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    I was into the Beatnigs. I got the DHH tape too but it seemed kinda soft comared to the Beatnigs. I could never get with Consolidated.

• bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
    I definitely rep for Meat Beat Manifesto (Jack Dangers). The album "Satyricon" by Meat Beat Manifesto is one of my favorite albums...nice Bomb Squad like production. I think Jack Dangers currently lives in The Bay and provided some vinyl for Shadow's/Cut Chemist's Hard Sell Mix.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    mbm/pwei is really the pinnacle of this stuff. the american shit is downright unforgivable.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

proto-juggalo

huhuhuuhh huhuhh This is what TV looks like whe you're a dog.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Dudes...

Urban Dance Squad had nothing to do with this.....

They were....

...wait for it....

the first "Crossover-Rap" Band. And they were from Amsterdam....

surprised they kind of got some recognition in the US. That said, I found their album as a US press last month but left it in the shop. But I remember listening to these guys...Consolidated had one ok track with Paris and introduced me to the Yeastie Girls...DHOHH had one ok 12" with comic strip....

• street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
    Oh yeah, I liked Meat Beat Manifesto. I didn't see them as Hip-Hop though. Just influenced by it.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    This was a big part of my 1990-1991 music experience. MC 900 Ft Jesus and A Pop Will Eat Itself certainly got mixed in with my Nitzer Ebb, Nine Inch Nails and Ministry. It's what I got for briefly hanging out with that kid who wore the black trenchcoat to school.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I had forgotten about these dudes.

mbm/pwei is really the pinnacle of this stuff.

"Not Now James, We're Busy"

unforgivable

God forgive me for bumping a thread entitled "Industrial Rap", but I'm curious to get some opinion on Death Grips. I know what I think of 'em - that they're probably best left to the kind of people for whom hip-hop needs to be validated by someone like Zach Hill before they'll pay any attention to it - and I have a feeling that the absence of any significant discussion about them on here thus far kind of tells its own story. For me there's nothing here that I can't get from TVOR on one hand and Waka on the other. Nevertheless, I'm coming across more and more talk about them, and I envisage a future involving conversations with people who'll breathlessly insist that they're somehow a fulfillment of hip-hop's true potential. Potential for what is anyone's guess. Over to you...

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    God forgive me for bumping a thread entitled "Industrial Rap", but I'm curious to get some opinion on Death Grips. I know what I think of 'em - that they're probably best left to the kind of people for whom hip-hop needs to be validated by someone like Zach Hill before they'll pay any attention to it - and I have a feeling that the absence of any significant discussion about them on here thus far kind of tells its own story. For me there's nothing here that I can't get from TVOR on one hand and Waka on the other. Nevertheless, I'm coming across more and more talk about them, and I envisage a future involving conversations with people who'll breathlessly insist that they're somehow a fulfillment of hip-hop's true potential. Potential for what is anyone's guess. Over to you...

James Blake dropped this at Panorama Bar. So it must be good [pasue] But quite a few people did not get it. I am kind of on the same page as you here. Not bad, but I don't really know...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It's just not very sexy is all.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    This is the first I've ever heard of them so I'm obviously moving in the wrong/right circles.

Mildly interested that this kind of stuff is getting a new life but was never big on this sound the first time round so not really cheering about a rebirth. That third song is ok in a "hey, remember anti-pop consortium" way but really it all sounds like stuff that would turn up on a Tony Hawks video game soundtrack.

• The first Death Grips mixtape is entertaining. If you're a fan of random dudes shouting and obvious rock sample flips, it's definitely worth a listen. The newer stuff is restrained like the seatbelt in the Guillotine video posted above. Sounds like they had to get rid of all the Jane's Addiction/ Lord Buckley/Doors rips once they signed to Epic. I had no idea people still volunteered for major label duty, but whatever.

Not sure about the "future of hip hop" tag at all, but some kid described it as "the soundtrack to a film where Ol' Dirty Bastard gets stuck in the Tron universe" which is funny and pretty accurate.

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Death Grips the future of hip hop? Not sure about that one. I would vouch for Shabazz Palaces though 100%

How was Antipop Consortium not doing what Death Grips is doing in that video over a decade ago?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts