Industrial Rap

faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Disposable Heroes of HiphoprisyBeatnigsConsolidatedMC 900 Foot JesusWho among you checked?

Comments

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    I think I have the first album by DHH on tape, but it never really did much for me. I instinctivly shy away from all Franti-related things now.

Were you a groupie?

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Techno Animal
    1991-2001
    (with Justin Broadrick)

An industrial hip-hop group, which eventually collaborated with D?lek, Vast Aire, and Anti-Pop Consortium. John Jobaggy also participated in the group.

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Oh, and the word "Jesus" scared me away from ever checking MC 900 FT JESUS, and I've never heard of the other two.

• doomdoom 305 Posts

Psychopathic Lunatics

southern horror rapp, hardcroe!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Were you a groupie?

No, I heard a few DHH tracks on college radio when I was in ninth grade and, at around that time, a girl I was friends with assured me that I would like Consolidated.

I just remembered the existence of this ill-considered genre this morning. It could probably only have existed during a narrow window in the late 80s/early 90s.

Is Urban Dance Squad in this bag?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Haha.....Ok let me think.

I had a College buddy who was all into MC 9000 FT Jesus............doo-doo.

But I do like your Genre Description alot!!!

Industrial Rap.

I gotta think about it............but like 89-90somethin'-ish.

Spearhead? or too PE meets Arrested Development?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy
    Beatnigs
    Consolidated
    MC 900 Foot Jesus

Who among you checked?

I had the DHH tape back in the day--I remember seeing the "Famous and Dandy (Like Amos n' Andy)" video and being intrigued. That shit was aimed squarely at over-pseudo-intellectual college sophomores.

Spearhead? or too PE meets Arrested Development?

Spearhead is like when Michael Franti decided to stop imitating PE and start imitating Arrested Development.

I did once buy a Spearhead CD for $3 circa 1995, and regretted it as soon as I listened to it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Hard not to check some of it down here in Texas as the clubs we would go to to hear rap were simultaneously playing industrial as well.

Renegade Soundwaves' Biting My Nails was a club hit down here, if that qualifies (awful rap in it, but that's not what was ctahcing peoples' ears about it).

MC 900 Ft Jesus...he wasn't much of a rapper either, but I like(d) a couple of his instrumentals.

Consolidated...they would show their Vivisection video every single afternoon on the local cable access video show.

Disposable Heroes...I played a track or 2 from their first album on my radio show back then, but never felt the need to own the album myself.

Never heard the Beatnigs...but the Skatenigs, yes:

I had a co-worker who loved Atari Teenage Riot,Curse of The Golden Vampire, and Elec Empire.

I own Alec Empire's Generation Star Wars('94) , but I dont really feel like its within a Hip Hop Genre at all.

• alec empire's "nazi comets" would probably fit the genre.

dalek was mentioned previously, some of their stuff would probably fit.

ice cube + david bowie + nine inch nails

That Bowie stuff - im hesitant to call it Industrial or Industrial Hip Hop by the late 90's or Early 00's. I thought it was a dead term by then.

Electronica had became the 'umbrella term'.

I will say though - Industrial Rap was the pre-cursor to that Dr. Octagon type steez.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    y'all heard that unreleased Bomb Squad remix of Skinny Puppy 'Smothered Hope'?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Is Urban Dance Squad in this bag?

I must confess that there was like one or two songs by these dudes that I liked back in high school. An interesting time for me to say the least...

B/W

• That Bowie stuff - im hesitant to call it Industrial or Industrial Hip Hop by the late 90's or Early 00's. I thought it was a dead term by then.

Electronica had became the 'umbrella term'.

I will say though - Industrial Rap was the pre-cursor to that Dr. Octagon type steez.

that makes sense, and it was a single from bowie's "electronica" album--the follow up to his "industrial-ish" album. as far as i know, "industrial" as an umbrella term seemed to have been swallowed up by the even bigger umbrella term of "electronica"

i'm kinda spinning off in slightly different directions now (?), but i completely forgot about this album (and with good reason!). "synthcore re-makes of your favorite rap jams," indeed.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

Dudes, stay focused!

We are tawmbout that late 80s/early 90s industrial rap here!

We are not going to veer off into nu-metal rap! Take that schitt to www.cbrap.com!

b/w

Sinead O'Connor had a kind of embarrassing industrial rap joint on her 1994 album Universal Mother.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Sinead O'Connor had a kind of embarrassing industrial rap joint on her 1994 album Universal Mother.

B/W

• nu-metal? i'm trying to veer off into synthcore. battery's cover of "gangsta's paradise" was a groundbreaking song that opened up the door for other hip white girls to record ironic covers of popular rap jamz.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I had the MC 900 Foot Jesus - Hell with The Lid Off album for a minute. I would put it more in an acid-influenced rap bag myself. Didn't do a lot for me. I rode for A Deeper Shade of Soul by Urban Dance Squad when that came out, and still get a nostalgic vibe if I hear it. I also recall being surprised by the twist at the end of Hole in The Bucket by Spearhead the first time I heard it on the radio.

THERE WAS A HOLE. IN HIS POCKET! ZOMG!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Where do the Primitive Radio Gods fit into this equation?

Post-Industrial Rap?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    ^^^^^^^^^^

That's the only song I remember by those dudes. Talmbout "moonlight spills on comic books and superstars in magazines" if I remember correctly. Never thought of it as rap-related though.

Edit: I meant Primitive Radio Gods.

I had the MC 900 Foot Jesus - Hell with The Lid Off album for a minute. I would put it more in an acid-influenced rap bag myself.

• Where do the Primitive Radio Gods fit into this equation?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I had the MC 900 Foot Jesus - Hell with The Lid Off album for a minute. I would put it more in an acid-influenced rap bag myself.

I always liked this... Well, the remix off this same 12" that's not this youtube.

Damn son...

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    would this category include El-P? i was never into his shit but i thought he had some interesting ideas (ok maybe just 1 basically)

haha- i had that justin warfield back in the day on tape- how embarrassed should i be? can't really remember it at all except it had that bobbi humphrey sample.

i also had disposable heroes CD back when it was out. got rid of it a long time ago but i remember liking one song that had charlie hunter on it.

• bsuwolfbsuwolf 83 Posts
    Isn't a dude from Pop Will Eat Itself now a big time movie soundtrack scorer or arranger?