good tippers

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    If I was president, everyone would be a server at least once in their life.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    If it's a restaurant you only plan on going to once, then there wouldn't be any negative repercussions to not tipping well. It's not like you're going to get your food spit in or get ignored for no good reason.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I had to constantly go on at the lady who was managing the funds on our trip to NYC about tipping more when we had combined staff meals (she had never been to the US), she was all on for just 10% everywhere & I was constantly battling to get it up to 20-25% at least.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    then there wouldn't be any negative repercussions to not tipping well.

Unless you believe in Karma.

I believe in scorched earth.

Do you tip or not?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    One fairly infrequent task at my job involves catered ice cream social/office sundae party events.
    I'm generally just dropping the stuff off, maybe setting it up, and going, so tipping is not expected, but some occasionally do, and a few regular clients do it every time.

The most interesting thing is the ratio of corporate clients that tip to the small business/non-profits that will. Big ad agencies and law firms will rarely give a cent, they can barely get me out of there fast enough. The worst ones will give me a speech about how they WANT to tip, but accounting doesn't allow it blah blah blah, which IMO is far more annoying than just stiffing me in silence.

Humble little community centers and small government offices and the like are more likely to tip, and just be more agreeable in general. And, contrary to anecdotes earlier in this thread, church events usually tip also.

Do you tip or not?
    Yeah, I do but only well if I plan to go back, and only to get good service in the future--not out of any good will toward the staff, who should, at the least, render satisfactory service to everyone, regardless of tipping history.

Do you tip or not?
    Yeah, I do but only well if I plan to go back, and only to get good service in the future--not out of any good will toward the staff, who should, at the least, render satisfactory service to everyone, regardless of tipping history.

NO KARMA FOR YOU.

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    stiffing me in silence.

Do you tip or not?

NO KARMA FOR YOU.
    I'm just not going to let these spitters extort me. And it's up to the waiters to root out the spitters, would-be spitters, and spit sympathizers from their ranks. Until then, I'm spitting on tips if I get poor service for any reason. Scorched earth!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

all the nba dudes I've dealt with = bad tippers.

off the top of my head Antoine Walker was notorious as the best tipper in boston... like dropping a c-note for a 13 dollar valet charge...

Should made it fiddy, perhaps he'd have some money left.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    heres a q -- if yr at a small crappy diner & spend 8 bucks on food -- do u tip more than 2 bucks if the service was average-good? does it feel weird to tip someone already so underpaid so much less than the college chick working as a waitress at a '''respectable''' establishment than the 80 yr old woman who carries your hash browns over while using a cane?

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    2 bucks is cool for 8 bucks. 20%!!!! or more in your case.

• MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
    Not famous folks, but the COGIC FRENCH people, when they have their convention in Memphis SUMMER each year is dreaded by wait/hotel staff...they dont tip at all...1000's of these STRIKE>Jesus/STRIKE> DISCOUNT MALL freaks invade the city, stuff a dozen people in a hotel room and bitch about not enough towels...eat out, take up a bunch of tables, send a bunch of food back and stay for hours and dont tip a dime. Notorious for being incredibly shitty people.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

all the nba dudes I've dealt with = bad tippers.

off the top of my head Antoine Walker was notorious as the best tipper in boston... like dropping a c-note for a 13 dollar valet charge...

Should made it fiddy, perhaps he'd have some money left.

was waiting for the shoe to drop on that one...

but, fuck it, at least he wasn't another of these d-bags ringing up a 1000 dollar tab and tipping a dub...

i mean, i doubt his tipping was what bankrupted him....

and re: FRENCH people.... most europeans suck...

irish people are ok and generally so are spaniards... germans and scandanavians tend to not stiff you, just are not generous... i put it down to a sense of doing what's proper; ie. they know we tip in the US, so they do so, just not that well.... whereas Brits, French, and Italians will often leave you assed out...

other good tippers:

ted danson
    dizzee rascal (he was with his manager and his manager tipped really well, so i count him, as they were together at the time...)

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Yeah 15-25% depending on service for me, but that's also a function of the price... sometimes the bill is way diesel and, unfortunate as it may be, that sometimes leaves the servers with the shorter end.

But if the service is amazing I will always honor the 20% rule. At least.

And of course at my local bars, you know like... whatever, dudes are topping off for free and stuff, it's a different scenario

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm just not going to let these spitters extort me. And it's up to the waiters to root out the spitters, would-be spitters, and spit sympathizers from their ranks. Until then, I'm spitting on tips if I get poor service for any reason. Scorched earth!

Rey.....I would never go to a restaurant where I thought there was a possibility of the cook/server spitting in my food. That's why I won't go to a chain restaurant where the high school drop-out in the kitchen doesn't care if I ever come back to that restaurant or not....those are the cats that spit in your food.

Mom & Pop or non-chain is the way to go...they WANT your business and will do whatever it takes to get you to come back.

Edit: But of course if you act like a dick Mom herowndamnself may spit in your food.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    pgunn did you get a job or something?!

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts

and re: FRENCH people.... most europeans suck...

PAGING FISHMONGERDUDE

whereas Brits will often leave you assed out...

other good tippers:

dizzee rascal (he was with his manager and his manager tipped really well, so i count him, as they were together at the time...)

, much?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It?s been a long time since I?ve seen a server call someone out for no tip/bad tip, but recently, at a post-last call Chinese resturant, this older female server took on two meathead types who left her $2. Now, this place wasn?t expensive, but I know the five dishes they had in front of them did not come out to less than $15.
    They put up such a half-assed argument, knowing they were wrong, but it dragged on for way too long, much too loud. Every minute that went by, they looked like bigger cheap dumb fools. At the end one of them gave her $5 more.

Late-night spot like that where drunk fcks come in and act all kinds of wrong, I would just add 20% right on the bill and call it a day.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    I was working the door at a charity event and watched John Legend completely stiff the valet dude. His manager, who was right behind him, said over his shoulder to me as they walked out, "You'll take care of that, right sweetheart?"

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    local news recently did a piece on how the recession has made people start cutting back on tips and the patrons of this one restaurant they interviewed made my blood boil...they were very cavalier talking about how "they just didnt have the money to tip" because thye were unemployed, hours cut at work, etc...DONT FUCKING EAT OUT THEN IF YOU ARE SO HARD UP...it was fucking ridiculous...if you are not working, then you really cant afford to go grab 8.99 southwestern fajita poppers at your local mcfunster's, or whatever dumbfucks like that eat when they go out...they were so fucking smug with their "sorry, but I cant do it"

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    local news recently did a piece on how the recession has made people start cutting back on tips and the patrons of this one restaurant they interviewed made my blood boil...they were very cavalier talking about how "they just didnt have the money to tip" because thye were unemployed, hours cut at work, etc...DONT FUCKING EAT OUT THEN IF YOU ARE SO HARD UP...it was fucking ridiculous...if you are not working, then you really cant afford to go grab 8.99 southwestern fajita poppers at your local mcfunster's, or whatever dumbfucks like that eat when they go out...they were so fucking smug with their "sorry, but I cant do it"

^^^^ The Realness ^^^^

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I'm sorry, I'm obviously going to be in the real minority here, but I feel absolutely no obligation to tip. If the server has been decent then I'll be more than happy to tip well but if they have generally been a bit useless and no help I don't see why I should pay them money to have moved my food from one part of the room to another.

Hasn't helped in London where barmen expect a tip for everything from pouring me a beer to passing me a bowl of olives.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Down South, we're still not used to paying the help.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm sorry, I'm obviously going to be in the real minority here, but I feel absolutely no obligation to tip. If the server has been decent then I'll be more than happy to tip well but if they have generally been a bit useless and no help I don't see why I should pay them money to have moved my food from one part of the room to another.

Hasn't helped in London where barmen expect a tip for everything from pouring me a beer to passing me a bowl of olives.

You sound Euro.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Touche. Though I'm more likely to tip while abroad.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    the US finally managed to do the health care reform, maybe they will soon realize that it makes sense to pay decent salaries in the service industry as well?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I was working the door at a charity event and watched John Legend completely stiff the valet dude. His manager, who was right behind him, said over his shoulder to me as they walked out, "You'll take care of that, right sweetheart?"

I once saw a dude in a Ferrari stiff a valet attendant and when his buddy said something to him about it he said "That dude should pay ME for letting him drive a Ferrari".

Talk about ice grill.