Astrology - Yay or Nay?

2»

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Effects might be miniscule but they do exist.

Fundamental basis of astrology VINDICATED

Yeah, sure - but I won't believe my date of birth has any significant effects until someone can back up that claim with something. I'm not saying it's impossible, but if someone makes an outlandish claim, they have to back it up somehow.

To each their own, however. I remember when a coworker had lost some money (the equivalent of a bit over $1000) that he had, in cash, in a bag. He thought his brother had stole it (since he had stolen some money from him before) but also asked me if God simply took it to punish him for his bad ways, since that was the most likely explanation his sister could come up with.

To each their own...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    We all know that the position of some huge ball of gas 500 light years away back in the 60s or 70s is not ruling your life, your predisposition to stubbornness or the kind of woman you are compatible with.

We also broadly agree that the same ball of gas has some real, if miniscule, impact on the particles that make up your body.

If the idea in the first sentence was valued at a thousand dollars and the second one at a penny, I'd estimate the real value of the influence of distant cosmological entities upon your life to be about 2 cents.

Just my 0.02

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    Never followed astrology that closely, Russell Grant/horoscope cr*p put me off...

...but one day I'm in the fish'n'chip shop, and I start talking to this old guy, think it was about a poster for a festival, and he starts with the "I went to Isle of White, Woodstock, blah blah". Reckons he paid his way while there telling people's horoscopes, so I says, "Yeah, back then the hippies were well into that", and he naturally starts to defend it, saying that there's a lot of truth in it, that although we like to think we're individuals and stuff, to the trained eye we're quite easy to put in a box alongside all the other millions of people that are also our 'type'. He then tells me out of the blue my star sign. He asks what year I was born, and then, he tells me my name.

I was shook, took my chips and went home, thinking there might be something to it after all.

Keep an open mind as Skel says.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    OFF HIS TEATS AT THE ALL-NITE CHIPPY

Dude was pretty cosmic.
    He'd started going on about types of people 'through history', and was talmbout how he could see me working for a fuedal lord as a huntsman, started asking if I was good on a horse. I think it was about this point that my eye-brows were sending out signals that I believed that it was wank that he chatteth, and most verily, so that was when he pulled out my sign, and then my name, almost as if to say don't misunderestimate teh power of the force.

Straight up, dawg.

Dude was fucking Merlin mang.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Met similar kind of astral dude in Ibiza. He was a old hippy ham-shank and worked as a kind of greeter in a restaurant well out of the way.

He had some big bizarre pendant on which I asked him about. Said it was given to him by dudes from space. I was very possibly hammered at the time so we both talked 10 minutes of doo-doo which I cannot recall.

Went back the year after hoping to catch dude again. He'd died the week before. Downer. Whereabouts of pendant unknown.

Met similar kind of astral dude in Ibiza[/b].

I was very possibly hammered at the time

Only 'very possibly'? Hahaha. Right. Shame about the pendant, doe.

Reclaimed by dem HayLeon.

• minimini 879 Posts
    Photobucket

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,892 Posts
    Reclaimed by dem HayLeon.

Freal.

My Ibiza indulgences involve nowt stronger than several San Miguels/Caipirinhas/Baileys nightcaps, ar kid - I distance myself from the disco biscuit/scooby snack/what-have-you-stored-down-your-shorts set as I seek neither their car-alarm music nor their saucer-eyed nonsense.

I can provide the nonsense myself.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Astrology--definitely nay

Harvey Sid Fisher's Astrology songs/videos--yay

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Dude was pretty cosmic.
    He'd started going on about types of people 'through history', and was talmbout how he could see me working for a fuedal lord as a huntsman, started asking if I was good on a horse. I think it was about this point that my eye-brows were sending out signals that I believed that it was wank that he chatteth, and most verily, so that was when he pulled out my sign, and then my name, almost as if to say don't misunderestimate teh power of the force.

Straight up, dawg.

Dude was fucking Merlin mang.

I once spent an afternoon at the home of Frances Cannon aka The Singing Psychic.

She has appeared on numerous TV and Radio shows around the world.

Amongst some somewhat believable stories she explained that she had rescued over 100 children being held in an ice cave by Eskimos. I wondered out loud why I had not read about this in the news.

She then "predicted" that my one daughter would become a musician(6-7 years later my kid was playing drums for a punk band) and my other daughter would marry a doctor(hasn't happened yet).

Before we left she told us that she had gained her "supernatural powers" after being in a terrible accident with a Lumber truck.....she then gave the caveat that she could not guarantee I would get these same powers if I was hit by a Lumber truck.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Couple things...once my ex-wife and I split, I read up on my asrological profile and it couldn't have been any more spot on. I read the one for my ex-wife, spot on. I read our compatibility analysis...yep that too, spot on.

And whether astrologists are interpreting the changing effects of moving celestial bodies on us accurately or not, there is definitely something to it. I mean, the moon having such a strong effect on us is already enough to feel safe entertaining the notion.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    i got some art deco 20s era fortune telling cards in Hungary. They weren't tarot cards, but they were something like that. They had words like death, travel, fortune, luck, love, etc etc with picturs of lads in top hats and ladies in fine dresses to go along with them. They are really cool, but I couldn't read the directions because they were in magyar, but the cards themselves had the english words on them.

so i made up my own game where you shuffle and then draw 3 cards and that would be your fate, so if you got travel, spy, and fortune, then you would go on a trip, hook up with a spy, and sell some secrets for a fotune (or something like that). Its fun. I even did it for my cat.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I fusk w/ Zodiac signs. Its a fun sport.

Shit is very 'alive' in the Local Black EXP.

My co-worker and i talk that stuff. She once asked one of the Hipster freelancers what his Sign was and dude looked at her like she was from Area 51.

Alot of the 70's era adults i grew up around were heavy into that shit. Knowing ur Moon sign and your Sun Sign...what time were u born, and all that shit.

Alot of cool Soul/R&B references Astrology.

My co-worker and i talk that stuff. She once asked one of the Hipster freelancers what his Sign was and dude looked at her like she was from Area 51.

Alot of the 70's era adults i grew up around were heavy into that shit. Knowing ur Moon sign and your Sun Sign...what time were u born, and all that shit.

Do they still sell those "Dream Books" at the newstands for playing the numbers/lottery??

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    NAY

i can't talk or relate to anyone who takes this seriously.

Santa Claus and Easter Bunny stuff. Fine and dandy as small talk/coctail party chatter, making anything more of it than that is just silly.

Do they still sell those "Dream Books" at the newstands for playing the numbers/lottery??

I havent seen those in a minute.

b/w

Who here celebrates Christmas and Easter?

When I worked at the Bus Terminal Book Barn in the Port Authority we sold the hell out of them....."I had a dream that included a duck, a tornado and a tricycle that means my number is 436"!!!

When I worked at the Bus Terminal Book Barn in the Port Authority we sold the hell out of them....."I had a dream that included a duck, a tornado and a tricycle that means my number is 436"!!!
    Folks still be on that stuff.

"I dreamt Gary Coleman dated my cousin during The Civil War........."