Astrology - Yay or Nay?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
NAYi can't talk or relate to anyone who takes this seriously.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Bad horoscope today?

Have you checked your Biorhythm charts???

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I went through a period, years ago now, where I was really hooked on my horoscope.
    I have no idea why ... it was during a period where I would read the daily newspaper all the way through, do the crossword, etc ... so maybe there was some pull there. Reading the horoscope was a daily ritual and if it was positive I would be all confident and if not I would be filled with dread.

Luckily I got over it soon enough and stopped reading them completely.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I knew a dude who would only date women of a certain sign. He was unlucky in love.Astrology is dumb.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    actually, I do always seem to fall for Leos

• Hell Nay..... paradoxically I'm a proud Sagitarian.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Hell nah... the idea that the day on which i happen to be born somehow predetermines a variety of my traits is just reeediculous to me.

Also... most people I do know that take this stuff seriously are mad douchey.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    NAY

i can't talk or relate to anyone who takes this seriously.

Belief in astrology is the hallmark of the feeble minded.

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    the only thing - ever - that has made me sit up and take notice of astrology was when i got hold of a copy of that cannonball adderley/rick holmes LP, recorded years before i was born, that somehow nailed a lot of my traits. and not just good ones that i would want to believe were true either. that daily newspaper stuff is pure crap, but i feel like the personality traits aspect of astrology is accurate to some extent.

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    whether you believe in astrology or not is a different matter but people that are deep into it aren't on some "horoscope in the paper is going to come true" type of thing

I personally don't believe in it, but I know some extremely successful and intelligent people that are deep into it. It's just like any other belief in the supernatural.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,887 Posts
    I don't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman.

Ghost and duppie - yes.

Haylien - yes.

Birtsine - LOLZ.

The Nazi Elite were deeply into the occult and Astrology.

In one of the weirdest moves, Rudolf Hess, following advice from his personal astrologer, took it upon himself to single handedly fly a Messerschmidt to England and negotiate peace terms. It didnt work out for him.

On 10 May, 1941, Hess stole a Messerschmidt 110 from Augsburg Airfield and flew to Scotland. He was heading for the Estate of the Duke of Hamilton whom he believed, as did many others, to be a Nazi sympathiser. With his plane stalling as it ran out of fuel, he was forced to bail out. It was not a clean bail-out as he became tangled up on the wing before struggling free and landing some ten miles short of his destination breaking his ankle in the process. He was discovered by a local farmer and marched off into captivity at the point of his pitchfork.

This is a fascinating documentary - you wont believe how far the nazi obsession with the occult went.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    The Nazi Elite were deeply into the occult and Astrology.

GODWIN'S VINDICATED FTW

single handedly fly a Messerschmidt to England

On 10 May, 1941, Hess stole a Messerschmidt 110 from Augsburg Airfield and flew to Scotland.

Careful mate, this kind of detail oversight will get you
    marched off into captivity at the point of his pitchfork.
    by some random jock.

FWIW

Astrology >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Creationism

At least it can be fun, and those daily forecasts in the papers often provide some thought provoking beard stroker folk wisdom that whiles away a couple of minutes.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    "star sign aquarius, rap styles i got various..."

• I don't believe in Peter Pan, Frankenstein or Superman.

Ghost and duppie - yes.

Haylien - yes.

Birtsine - LOLZ.

jinx - yes

double jinx - mostly no

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    the only thing - ever - that has made me sit up and take notice of astrology was when i got hold of a copy of that cannonball adderley/rick holmes LP, recorded years before i was born, that somehow nailed a lot of my traits.

agree, i listened to that for the first time the other day and its spookily accurate

old school astrology > new school astrology

• yay

• clearly it's all bullshit.

but, still, i ride for aquarius...

Waak hunder ladder? nay
    Raise mi humbrella indoor? nay
    Weejie board? nay
    Cross 'pon de stair? yay
    Tread 'pon de crack? yay

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Astrology is AWESOME!

i wonder how the horoscopes of disaster victims read just prior to the Tsunami/quake/airplane/fire/volcano etc.

I wonder how the horoscopes of holocaust victims read.

I wonder how the astrological charts of Somalians or Liberians look in comparison to Americans or Europeans born on the same day at the same time.

Astrology is RAD.

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    i don't think its intended to work like that although your charts do change based on the coordinates of your birthplace

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    forer/barnum effect in the house. astrology and all belief in the occult/supernatural/paranormal makes me angry.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    The only people I know who are into astrology are girls whos' idea of a good time is to get drunk and visit a fortune teller.

forer/barnum effect in the house. astrology and all belief in the occult/supernatural/paranormal makes me angry.

This is not a very scientific sentiment.

In terms of astrology, there is a real sense in which a distant star does have influence on you: the quanta of light from it that falls upon you, the gravitational pull it exerts on you (and vice versa in both instances of course) and so on.

So the basic premise of astrology is (theoretically) sound. All that's to debate is the scale of these effects on you and the chemical reactions that take place in your brain that generate your personality.

As for supernatural, paranormal etc it is not so long ago that phenomena we now consider adequately explained (lightning, magnetism et al) would have been covered by the 'supernatural' umbrella description.

Minds should stay open and skeptical.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

As for supernatural, paranormal etc it is not so long ago that phenomena we now consider adequately explained (lightning, magnetism et al) would have been covered by the 'supernatural' umbrella description.

or not adequatly explained...

So, Astrology is a motherfucking miracle?
    And Scotland as well, I should think.

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts

This is not a very scientific sentiment.

In terms of astrology, there is a real sense in which a distant star does have influence on you: the quanta of light from it that falls upon you, the gravitational pull it exerts on you (and vice versa in both instances of course) and so on.

So the basic premise of astrology is (theoretically) sound. All that's to debate is the scale of these effects on you and the chemical reactions that take place in your brain that generate your personality.

Minds should stay open and skeptical.

the moon definitely has an effect on us.. it affects gravity, it affects the pattern of the waves and oceans. isn't it weird how lunar cycles have an impact on menstrual cycles for example. (sorry to gross out the thread). so i think theres something in astrology as well, but definitely not of the type found in the back of a cheap newspaper. more like the mayan or aztec interpretation.

Such differences in quantities are beyond minuscule to us, doe. Esp. if it's cloudy or there are fat locals with big plasma screens. Social environment, genes and the chemical soup mixture of the brain makes us who we are. This is the hand that we are dealt.

No fucker will be saying SNAP at any point.

Effects might be miniscule but they do exist.

Fundamental basis of astrology VINDICATED

You must deal. The celestial firmament decrees it mote be.

Effects might be miniscule but they do exist.

Fundamental basis of astrology VINDICATED

You must deal. The celestial firmament decrees it mote be.

What would Semjase say?

"SATURNISE MAH MUHFUDDN RING, MUHFUDDA"