Post-Apocalyptic movies

13»

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Worth mentioning: the rebooted "Battlestar Galatica" is very much a P.A. series in ways that the original was not.

Are the OG Colonies even from Earth?

I could explain it but it's too complex and moreover, a spoiler. The rebooted series is absolutely 100% recommended viewing. Easily one of the best TV series I've seen over the last 5 years.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Worth mentioning: the rebooted "Battlestar Galatica" is very much a P.A. series in ways that the original was not.

Are the OG Colonies even from Earth?

I could explain it but it's too complex and moreover, a spoiler. The rebooted series is absolutely 100% recommended viewing. Easily one of the best TV series I've seen over the last 5 years.

Kobol is the name of a planet in the fictional Battlestar Galactica universe.
    Within the context of both Battlestar Galactica stories, Kobol is the birthplace and original home of humanity, from which the civilization departed and formed the Twelve Colonies on other worlds. According to legend, there was also a thirteenth tribe who settled on a "lost" colony, a planet called Earth, whose location remained a mystery to the populations of the other twelve

• gothenborggothenborg 46 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20OWhcp-8BM

One of the best films I've seen lately, Transmission by hungarian director Roland Vranik. Not post-apocalyptic, but sort of dystopic. It's about what happens in a society when the electricity dissapears.

• I watched Cherry 2000 yesterday.
    Enjoyed it a lot - thanks for recommending it DustedDon

i just watched the trailer for this on youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc5Ax8eD_7M

how come it uses music from "taxi driver"?

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    also worth checking out, a very realistic take on 'apocalyptic' turn events situated in suburbia, 'the trigger effect', written and directed by david koepp, 1996

• HamHam 872 Posts

mutant frogs!

and yeah, death race 2000 is pretty funny. i've loved everything post-apocalyptic ever since playing the first two fallout games in the late 90's

heres the trailer to that Trigger Effect jawn

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Trigger Effect was on TV a few weeks ago and the cast and subject looked interesting. I turned it off after the first 15 minutes as it seemed more like some proto Crash style film with lots of "meaningful" incidents. Is it worth sticking with?

Anyway, back to the trashy pile:

Cyborg

I remember seeing it and thinking 'it somehow feels like something written for the stage' - there's a bit of Pinter in there - but it is worth sticking with. Koepp really tries to take the - 'what if society collapses, what would actually happen to these characters' premise to a realistic conclusion. And it has Elisabeth Shue. Koepp went on to do Stir of Echoes and is now one of the Tinseltown golden boys doing many major projects.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Ah ok I'll give it a go again next time it's on. Certainly seemed very stagey but think I was just in an intolerant mood, got as far as the cinema scene and the contrived culture clashes and felt like I couldn't face another Hollywood analysis of society.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts

They made us watch it at school. i was like 11/12. Damaged for life.

I came in to post Threads. They made us watch this in double period RE, which was right after lunch, ergo once we had ducked out for a smoke. My god that was a bleak lesson.

My head was not right for days after that.

I'd also argue Warriors fits the Dystopian remit. Along with it being one of my favourite films

Ok i'll throw in another one for the cypher - im guessing everyone has seen it and if you havent, do yourself a favor, this is in the dystopian category imo

'nuther bigelow banger

allow me to recommend the puerile pleasures of Richard Corbens work -
    a real joy if you arent familiar: mutant world is post apocalyptic, and Den is straight fantasy/dystopian/post apocalypse/weird future?

I have to sit w/ V For Vendetta again. I liked the movie but it wasnt the banger I thought it would be.

Den had that feature in the Heavy Metal movie from BITD.

I cant recall if Pitch Black/Chronicals of Riddick is P.A. related.

V for vendetta - I enjoyed it a lot. not classic but a good watch. Heres some more post apocalypse joints that didnt get mentioned

Silent Running is Post Apocalyptic?

I recall him having some plants on the ship. Was he cultivating long lost plants that couldnt survive on a contaminated Earth? I forget the premise.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Tarkovsky's Stalker

Yes~! Stalker is great, also -Robocop very obvious but a fav. Heavy Metal is in every 80's geek collection of course.

Silent Running was one of those space madness kind of joints but the idea is they're preserving nature because earth has had some kind of disaster, as I recall.

also: alphaville by JL Godard, and 'city of lost children', was that mentioned yet?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    The responses to my original question are overwhelming. I have some watching to do, Thank you all.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I was working on a script about a post apocalyptic gulf coast where the water ran black and red with oil and their was no ocean life. Fishermen turn to piracy and cannibalism just to survive. Think I can sue BP for stealing my idea.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

also the Anime 'remake'

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    my co-Worker recommended On The Beach.

"On the Beach (1959) is a post-apocalyptic drama film based on Nevil Shute's 1957 novel of the same name featuring Gregory Peck (USS Sawfish captain Dwight Lionel Towers), Ava Gardner (Moira Davidson), Fred Astaire (scientist Julian?John in the novel?Osborne) and Anthony Perkins (Royal Australian Navy lieutenant Peter Holmes). It was directed by Stanley Kramer, who won the 1960 BAFTA for best director. Ernest Gold won the 1960 Golden Globe for Best Motion Picture Score. It was remade as an Australian television film by Southern Star Productions in 2000."

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

this was on cable just last night.

Late Period Alzado-related

also: 'hardware' was a cult 90's sci-fi horror flick - about this guy that builds a killer robot, set in a dystopian, post apocalyptic world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIE1JzC_md4

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    not really apocalyptic, but sorta, kinda?

also...as it turns out...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    not truly post-apocalyptic cuz they deal more in the factual hiccups of societal breakdowns than actual fantasy of the end of the world. but

Anime has a host of great entries into the genre

This is a classic anime you will most likely enjoy if you are in to all this kind of stuff:

'Battle Angel Alita'

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    best thread in a while guys.

- spidey

• The War Game- The OG nuclear-attack-we're-all-gonna-die-nightmare flick.