Best Southern Samples

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Okay, now y'all got me thinking about mid-90's Houston and not only how much things were popping there back then, but how so many of the key players had migrated from even more country ass Southern places. DJ Screw was originally from lil ole Smithville, Texas. UGK was from Port Arthur. ESG was from Shreveport. Big Mike and NO Joe were from New Orleans. 8 Ball & MJG and Tela were from Memphis. Devin was from Florida. Really, it was an all-star assortment of the best that the South had to offer, all in one place...with more soul than you could shake a stick at.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Speaking of Al B Sure...25 Lighters....

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Bushwick Bill: Wha'cha Gonna Do

Oh yeah Doc, you asked about Derek B's Rock the Beat. Here ya geaux as a good example of its almost everyday use down in NOLA...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Money & The Power

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    the two most important samples in NOLA hip hop:

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Let the beat build

• CinisterCeeCinisterCee 863 Posts
    Well... page one of this thread was okay

I don't know the southern rap songs mentioned by title or lyric only on page two

Maybe include the rap songs too so I can "diversify"

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Pimps -8ball/MJG

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    here's an easy but good one:

Donny & Roberta (cant find a youtube)
    http://hypem.com/track/733873/Roberta+Flack+Donny+Hathaway+-+Be+Real+Black+For+Me

vs

Scarface

It?s Supposed to Bubble?

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    It?s Supposed to Bubble?

now this (and the ugk song) get me in the mood for summer. great track.

#loveitmayne

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Sippin on the Syrup...

Straight Gangstaism & On da Real...

Well... page one of this thread was okay

I don't know the southern rap songs mentioned by title or lyric only on page two

Maybe include the rap songs too so I can "diversify"

no really... i don't want to have to google lyrics and song titles to hear z-ro's game changing usage of an original song i know much better

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It's looking spotty and sparse in here; I don't know that you've made the case for southern sampling yet.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    I don't see how "Wood Wheel" can be from DK64, it was first used on Geto Boys I>Death Do Us Part/I> which predates that game by several years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSbzJ98UlfI

I think it's just live instrumentation.

• hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
    Makes sense. I was never a video game dude, so I don't even know when N64 was out.

It's looking spotty and sparse in here; I don't know that you've made the case for southern sampling yet.

The case was only that the South not be systematically excluded. There are definitely a few worthy candidates for any all-time hip-hop samples list already in this thread.

Knocking Pictures off da Wall...

• ScottScott 420 Posts
    Two of my favorites:

Ohio Players - Players Ballin' (33 second mark)

The case was only that the South not be systematically excluded[/b].

You're making it worse by only posting the originals and not the usages.

B/W

http://www.ozonemag.com/2010/05/13/scarface-speaks-on-vh1s-dirty-south-hip-hop-honors/

B/W

http://www.ozonemag.com/2010/05/13/scarface-speaks-on-vh1s-dirty-south-hip-hop-honors/

I'm serving all sorts of great info up for you, that's not in the sample faq by the way, on a silver platter...and despite not knowing who the hell you are, you are steady complaining. You're welcome.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

hahaha....check this gem of a quote out:

But that?s just [my opinion], and fuck me. I don?t mean nothing. I?m just a nigga who fought harder than a muthafucker to get our records played in New York and on the East Coast period. And now all a nigga needs to do is fart on a record and it gets played.[/b] So it?s fine by me. I?m cool with that.

B/W

I'm serving all sorts of great info up for you, that's not in the sample faq by the way, on a silver platter...and despite not knowing who the hell you are, you are steady complaining. You're welcome.

Okay. Have fun reading your own posts then wondering why no one else on the board listens or learned anything.

B/W

Okay. Have fun reading your own posts then wondering why no one else on the board listens or learned anything.

Most people on the board know the songs I'm referencing. Maybe I'll go back and add some clips in just for you. But you could just as easily pull up a youtube window and search for the songs yourself.

The thread is trying to make an argument for southern sampling and there are a few titles that are NOT[/b] famous tracks by Scarface/Geto Boys, Three 6 Mafia, Gangsta Pat, 8Ball & MJG, UGK, Lil' Wayne, OutKast.

So it's handy to have the links right there for people who don't normally check for the south. If you were actually preaching to the choir ("most people on the board know the songs") then you wouldn't have to state your case, would you?

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    hahaha...that would be so fucked up if that Donkey Kong thing actually was the inspiration for some raps.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts