Wurlitzer

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
Posted this in the electronics thread.I just found one of these in a storage room. We threw out a ton of really old junk at work. I guess I should be grabbing this before they dump it?

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I have zero clue on this stuff.

Anyone have some interesting history on this thing?

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I'll buy it and pay shipping. Rael speak. That looks like a 200a and I've been after one for a long time. This is the companion sound to a Rhodes. Best example I can think of is the intro to Donny Hathaway's "What's Going On" on Live. He uses that piano throughout that album.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wurlitzer_electric_piano

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    yep, classic keyboard, would definitely cop if I had the chance, you shouldn't sleep on it.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Likely needs some work if it's been sitting around awhile - get this to Day somehow.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    yep, let day make a new record with it

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts
    Yes and yes. Wurlitzers are awesome better action and playability over a rhodes any day. Lots of soul/ rnb tunes use a wurli and that's a nice model. That said they area horrible bitch to tune and maintain.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts
    +1 for Day

Wurlie is a classic.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    Yes and yes. Wurlitzers are awesome better action and playability over a rhodes any day. Lots of soul/ rnb tunes use a wurli and that's a nice model. That said they area horrible bitch to tune and maintain.

they both have their strengths and weaknesses, wurli's seem to cut through sounds better, and rhodes sound great sitting behind other instruments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I think the original, hit version of Ray Charles'"What'd I Say" was recorded with a Wurlitzer electric piano.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    recorded with a Wurlitzer electric piano.

that distinct sound of marc moulin, placebo..

• BeatsoupBeatsoup 511 Posts

they both have their strengths and weaknesses, wurli's seem to cut through sounds better, and rhodes sound great sitting behind other instruments

Agreed, different sounds for different arrangements but all wurli's feel and play better than rhodes in my opinion. Rhodes keyboards feel like mush.

• leisurebanditleisurebandit 1,006 Posts
    stop asking questions about it on the internet and put that thing in your car! (unscrew the legs first)

• I recently found a 200a at a garage sale. It was pretty beat, but well worth picking up. I think you're in Toronto (I'm in the GTA). I asked around and Capsule Music on Queen was recommended to do the servicing on it. Even if it takes a few hundred to get it up and running, you'll still be far ahead.

• chasechase 767 Posts
    We threw out a ton of really old junk at work.

I have zero clue on this stuff.

What else did you throw out!?!?!

• dayday 9,612 Posts

• bonzaisk8bonzaisk8 946 Posts
    yep, the 200A still delivers after close to 10 years of making tracks with it.

i think at this point, i'd like to be buried with it, along with my model D of course. lol.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Thats quite a Marc Moulin setup you have there bonzaisk8