caverndiscos

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    intriguing that so many of yall seem to know his bisness. i dont even mean that in a bad way...story sounds interesting.id love to hear how he gathered all those joints together and why he's getting rid of them

[expxanadu]come on soulstrut cognoscienti, lets drag him under the crate digging revealed spotlight![/epxanadu]

• RerogRerog 569 Posts
    intriguing that so many of yall seem to know his bisness. i dont even mean that in a bad way...story sounds interesting.id love to hear how he gathered all those joints together and why he's getting rid of them

[expxanadu]come on soulstrut cognoscienti, lets drag him under the crate digging revealed spotlight![/epxanadu]

I along with many others on here have met dude...

he is just a nice guy with hustle, passion, and also gets to travel quite a bit.

From here, I see no reason to hate on him at all...so he got a bunch of records fast...big fucking deal.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts

he is just a nice guy with hustle, passion, and also gets to travel quite a bit.

From here, I see no reason to hate on him at all...so he got a bunch of records fast...big fucking deal.
    exactly

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    not to shoot myself in the foot with the auctions, but as good as I think a grip of these records are, it really isn't some wild accomplishment - I know a lot about records, more than many people on here, but lightyears less than some of the veterans, and I'm just making the decision to let it fly in order to keep moving with other aspects of my life. Putting this list up, despite it being an overwhelming amount of tedious busywork, is the most streamlined way of moving these all at once for good money. i've built up a steady mailing list and customer base over the past year and it's paying off. really as simple as that.

and yeah, probably 80 percent of these I got in 2009 and 2010. and i think two of them came from the Groove Merchant (which has amazing records, but I end up spending most of my time there just talking to folks, honestly). As people who know me know, I buy lots of stuff online when i see a real good deal, and then I'll go out and dig when I travel because that's the only time that digging is ever fun in 2010 IMO. I'm really not all up in any store everyday, and the local hustlers can have Laney, Coliseum, and Alemany for all I care, I ain't waking up that early. Shit, I've been to KUSF like three times total, you can have that too (frozen bagels included for your $20 admission!) I'm not saying it's the right approach for everyone, but it's served me well in the interm while I've been finishing up school, paid for all my music gear (someone sell me an ARP Omni Mark II please!), taught me a lot about self-employment, tax law, and small businesses, and filled up my microwave with otherwise tough to find music.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Well, I'm glad I clicked on this thread - a ten-year mystery is finally solved. The last track on side 1 of that Stefano Torossi joint was on a Strictly Breaks comp about ten years ago. It was wrongly listed as Feelings by Bruno Spoerri on the cover art and I could never find out what it was really called or who it was by. Only reason I knew this was because a very well-known Britpop act sampled it from the comp, and I had to get in touch directly with Bruno Spoerri to try and clear it. The guy was president of SUISA (the Swiss equivalent of ASCAP/BMI) at the time, and he didn't have a clue what I was on about - all he knew was it wasn't one of his songs and, besides, he'd never written anything called Feelings. In the end, the very well-known Britpop act just said, "Ah, fuck it", and put it out anyway without clearing the sample.

How tough a catch is that album?

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

exactly

Seriously... this recent hatt on how folks get their records and for how much is just plain childish. Some of y'all need to mind your own business and get over yourselves.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts

exactly

Seriously... this recent hatt on how folks get their records and for how much is just plain childish. Some of y'all need to mind your own business and get over yourselves.

"and that's word. From Ferrari & Spelunk."

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts

exactly

"and that's word. From Ferrari & Spelunk."

Haha... Saratoga House shenanigans. I kinda miss my old place (and my goblet)... but my new one is even better

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

not to shoot myself in the foot with the auctions, but as good as I think a grip of these records are, it really isn't some wild accomplishment - I know a lot about records, more than many people on here, but lightyears less than some of the veterans, and I'm just making the decision to let it fly in order to keep moving with other aspects of my life. Putting this list up, despite it being an overwhelming amount of tedious busywork, is the most streamlined way of moving these all at once for good money. i've built up a steady mailing list and customer base over the past year and it's paying off. really as simple as that.

and yeah, probably 80 percent of these I got in 2009 and 2010. and i think two of them came from the Groove Merchant (which has amazing records, but I end up spending most of my time there just talking to folks, honestly). As people who know me know, I buy lots of stuff online when i see a real good deal, and then I'll go out and dig when I travel because that's the only time that digging is ever fun in 2010 IMO. I'm really not all up in any store everyday, and the local hustlers can have Laney, Coliseum, and Alemany for all I care, I ain't waking up that early. Shit, I've been to KUSF like three times total, you can have that too (frozen bagels included for your $20 admission!) I'm not saying it's the right approach for everyone, but it's served me well in the interm while I've been finishing up school, paid for all my music gear (someone sell me an ARP Omni Mark II please!), taught me a lot about self-employment, tax law, and small businesses, and filled up my microwave with otherwise tough to find music.

nice!
    no shame to any aspect of this game.(although i love the fleas you mentioned).
    let the haters hate! thats what theyre supposed to do
    i'm just wondering how i can get on the mailing list??

and people should be ashamed of themselves dissing a soulstrutter for buying and selling records. come on son

i mean
    "c'mon son"

(sorry bigchan)

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Basically. Though I might add in one particular strutter's case:

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts
    MOVES

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Nice look on the auctions Spelunk.

finally got to hear some of those joints, rips included.

Bottomline - a member of this forum is basically liquidating the vast majority of his entire collection as a way to put himself on the road to financial maturity and independence. I thought this was a brave thing when Georges did much the same thing to buy a house a few years back. I think it's a brave thing that B is doing now. I don't know about the rest of you but while I'm sure I could use the money towards "better" things, I'd have a very hard time coming to the same decision.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I think it's a brave thing that B is doing now. I don't know about the rest of you but while I'm sure I could use the money towards "better" things, I'd have a very hard time coming to the same decision.

Look, I come down squarely on B's side in this, I think it's BS for dudes to care what he does with his records and there have been some bad looks thrown his way. But let's not make him out to be some kind of hero because he's selling records that he admits were mostly all recent purchases. Your collection is built up over, what, 20 years?

I think it's a brave thing that B is doing now. I don't know about the rest of you but while I'm sure I could use the money towards "better" things, I'd have a very hard time coming to the same decision.

Look, I come down squarely on B's side in this, I think it's BS for dudes to care what he does with his records and there have been some bad looks thrown his way. But let's not make him out to be some kind of hero because he's selling records that he admits were mostly all recent purchases. Your collection is built up over, what, 20 years?

I'm not saying dude is a hero. I'm saying that it's not a small thing to basically decide to liquidate your own collection. It's true that given his age and expertise, B would probably rebuild this over time and I'm sure that factored into his decision. But that doesn't make it any less of a big deal. It's not like dude put together these records for shits and giggles.

Shit man, I have a hard time getting rid of records I don't even want!

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    If you love something, set it free.
    If it comes back, it was, and always will be yours.
    If it never returns, it was never yours to begin with.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    What is the big deal here, exactly?

A dude is selling some records?

I'm lost.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    MOVES

so now this record is suddenly dropping out of the ebay skies..

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    YOU SAID THAT JACK MCDUFF WAS BEING FILED

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    YOU TOLD ME YOU HAD A COLLEGE RADIO SHOW

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

FONT SIZE="24">YOU LIED TO ME/FONT>

• breadwinnerbreadwinner 535 Posts
    MOVES

so now this record is suddenly dropping out of the ebay skies..

GOOD THING I HAVE A SPARE, PLAYBWOY!

anyway...no reason to keep minority band. id be selling that shit too!

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts

I'm lost.

I think there's more than a little "I'm older than B******, been in the game longer, and it's not fair that he has these records and I don't" going on here.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

I'm lost.

I think there's more than a little "I'm older than B******, been in the game longer, and it's not fair that he has these records and I don't" going on here.

My 3 least favorite words in the English language.

"It's not fair".

Life's not fair, get over it.

b/w

Jealousy is a powerful drug