caverndiscos

Comments

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    What is the big deal here, exactly?

A dude is selling some records?

I'm lost.

Me too.

But for what it's worth, I've known a few people who have sold their whole collections to make various sorts of "real world" moves. Every one of them regrets that decision to this day. When it's all done, what are we talking about here? $15-$20K? Great, you trade your records for a used Prius.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    What is the big deal here, exactly?

A dude is selling some records?

I'm lost.

Me too.

But for what it's worth, I've known a few people who have sold their whole collections to make various sorts of "real world" moves. Every one of them regrets that decision to this day. When it's all done, what are we talking about here? $15-$20K? Great, you trade your records for a used Prius.

I've sold not one, but two pretty world class record collections and don't regret doing it either time....not even a little bit.

Education, not being in debt, providing for your family, etc. > Owning records.

What blows my mind is people with $20K worth of records but no Health Insurance.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Does your health plan pay up for blown mind repair?

wtf is a "world class" collection?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

What blows my mind is people with $20K worth of records but no Health Insurance.

One of the Top Ten collections of it's genre in the world.

Not braggin', just fact.

speak on it! what kinda joints were in it?
    you sold it off for someone or it was yours?

One of the Top Ten collections of it's genre in the world.

Not braggin', just fact.

OK

I'm just trying to get these lines to intersect again. I make money other ways.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts

you guys are killing it today.

Must have been a butcher cover that came with Stella McCartney's placenta.

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts

Education, not being in debt, providing for your family, etc. > Owning records.

I feel you on this sentiment...

placenta raer

Jokes.

I make my "real" money in other ways too.

The Texas garage 45's I sold off in the 80's would still constitute a Top Ten collection in 2010.

The American psych/hard rock LP raers I sold off in the 90's would be in the Top Three collections, if not higher.....just the duplicates would be Top Ten.

And yes, these were my records, almost all of which I personally "dug" or sourced.

C'mon son....No Beatles/Elvis crust here.

Not trying to son anyone or show off....but inqiring minds....

When you watch your house burn down you realize selling records is a hell of a lot better than flat out losing them....any regrets I might have had burned up with lots of raers in 2004.

The fact that I have to speak on it shows just how little you dudes are.

i am justly humiliated
    i will fall back into place now

freal this must have been difficult. did you record them all to tape or something?

i am justly humiliated
    i will fall back into place now

I was just kidding.

as was i
    i forgot the appropriate smiley face

freal this must have been difficult. did you record them all to tape or something?

I recorded some things but those tapes are mostly long gone.

The truth is that I buy more records than I could ever listen to....I try to listen to everything that comes in my house, but admittedly many times that means needle drops that determine it's not my thang.

Having records up on a shelf that I might pull out once or twice a year doesn't do much for me.....for me it's dig - listen - sell.....and enjoying life with whatever extra cash it brings.

If it wasn't for the prospect of finding new music I probably wouldn't dig....but after 30 years I have the equivilent of a PHD in this shit and it would be a waste not to use it....plus it's a hell of a lot of fun....and profitable.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

The truth is that I buy more records than I could ever listen to....I try to listen to everything that comes in my house, but admittedly many times that means needle drops that determine it's not my thang.

Having records up on a shelf that I might pull out once or twice a year doesn't do much for me.....for me it's dig - listen - sell.....and enjoying life with whatever extra cash it brings.

If it wasn't for the prospect of finding new music I probably wouldn't dig....but after 30 years I have the equivilent of a PHD in this shit and it would be a waste not to use it....plus it's a hell of a lot of fun....and profitable.

Out of curiosity, when you're building up a collection like that, how much of it is strictly for revenue retrievin'? Like, how many records do you cop where your feeling is "This isn't really my cup of tea, but I know I can sell it off for a nice chunk of change down the line..."?

Out of curiosity, when you're building up a collection like that, how much of it is strictly for revenue retrievin'? Like, how many records do you cop where your feeling is "This isn't really my cup of tea, but I know I can sell it off for a nice chunk of change down the line..."?

Never worked like that......in both instances things came up that were greater than my need to have records and I was fortunate enough to be able to have access to that extra cash....I still like most of the music on said records so it wasn't a case of "not my cup of tea"....it was more just common sense and the fact that I guess I really don't have a collector's mentality.

I rarely spend a lot on any one record.....I am truly a $10.00 and under guy so most of my purchases are economically sound.

I've always had a main source of income other than records so I never looked at it at as revenue retreivin'......more like a friend with benefits.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I never looked at it at as revenue retreivin'......more like a friend with benefits.

Hahaha, awesome.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    a friend with benefits.

Thanks!!

---------------------------------

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts

Yup this is the same thing that [email]Ma@i[/email] does here in Cleveland (dude that buys for Cosmos in Toronto). He will build a large collection for about two years or so then it all goes to Toronto...no shame in the hustle and it affords him to take trips, pay house notes, car notes, eat...it aint nothing new but a lot of people new to the game are astounded that he would sell off everything all at once and have no records.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    It's like any investment at that point, not necessarily different from flipping stocks or property except, in this case, we tend to have a greater emotional attachment to our investments.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I have thrown my hat in the ring by participating in these auctions, knowing I will probably get eaten alive by some of the big doggs.

I do recommend next time spelunk not using your school Stafford loans to buy records, and hoping to cash in on them after your done with school.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    watching a few myself. m*ke, get at me this weekend, big dogg.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Euroman going nutz over these auctions.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

I do recommend next time spelunk not using your school Stafford loans to buy records, and hoping to cash in on them after your done with school.
    I recommend the exact opposite.