music strut, when to let masterpieces free?

doomdoom 305 Posts
edited May 2010 in Strut Central
i have worked on an lp for a year, which includes tracks spanning from a 3 year period. all my soul have gone into the project. but for the last month ive been stuck at 80%, which is silly. because i have quit my job to focus on music. its like i could fire myself for not making enough progress the last month. i do think its about 2 weeks of hard work left, which means it should have been finished 3 weeks ago.lately i have been nervous on and off when making my own tracks, strange thing.. i have never pushed myself this far when it comes to music, and i have quite honestly never made music of this calibre before. but its like a wall hits me every other day, which pisses me off because i know its all in my head.how do you guys finish your projects? going for that last 20% or so.. do you have any projects that FAILED at 80%? if so, what happend?i do feel like i need an american manager, but thats you guys, right?

Comments

• StoneHandsStoneHands 341 Posts
    firstly - callin your work a masterpiece and wanting a manager is a bit presumptuous, no? maybe i missed something.
    but.
    i feel you - im pretty much in the same boat with a project im working on. I guess sometimes you just gotta force the last 20% or settle on something, because there will always be something you would want to improve.. the last touches are the scariest part, but thats the time to trust your instinct and just go for it i guess..

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    lol yeah, lack of self-distance.

but on the other hand ypu have to believe in your own work. i assume most people see their shit as masterpieces.

• highschemehighscheme 784 Posts
    if this is, indeed, a metaphor for sealing the deal with a close female friend for the first time like I think it is, then checkout that relationship strut thread

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Hi, Doom.

Personally I don't believe music should be forced. It sounds like you are forcing it.

Relax.

My advice is this:

If you are totally unable to make up your mind on "the last 20%", maybe those 20% really don't even have to be there? Maybe the tracks are finished and you just can't believe it after working on the same stuff for three years!

Play your music to some friends. I recently played a song I've been working on off and on for two-three years to some people. I called it a "sketch", "unfinished", "a work in progress" etc. All of them said they thought it was finished. After listening to it again I agree.

If your problems have something to do with the musical progression of your tracks, when I get that way I really like to do this: Put all your unfinished tracks on your iPod/Phone/Walkman/whatever and travel with them. Listen to the music while you walk around in the middle of nowhere, the city, the forest, by water etc. Bring paper and make notes on how the music works in different settings. I find this very inspirational.

Finally: Quitting your job to make music is a very bold move, did you consider how making your music your profession could change your attitude towards it? Some things are better kept as hobbies in my opinion.

I hope this was of some help to you

Good luck!

- J

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    play your new work for a group of people who's taste/perception you trust.

also, put the new project away and work on something else. dosen't matter what. come back and lsten to your album after two weeks (minimum) you'll hear what needs to stay and what needs to go.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    ^^ great advice.

• hertzhoghertzhog 865 Posts
    play your new work for a group of people who's taste/perception you trust.

While this can work, they'll likely be pretty flattered that you trust their judgement like that, which isn't necessarily ideal if you're looking for criticism. And 80% sounds a 100% to most regular people.

But definitely give your ears a break. Two weeks minimum sounds about right. I find I'm most objective when there's some distance between me and the music.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I was going to add - play it for some folks who aren't going to puff you up. Whether that's your one friend who hates the style of music you do, or complete strangers... get away from the friends and people who care about your feelings

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

also, put the new project away and work on something else. dosen't matter what. come back and lsten to your album after two weeks (minimum) you'll hear what needs to stay and what needs to go.

This is great advice. I had very similar experiences finishing my band's last studio album. We record a lot of our own stuff, but when you're paying someone else to do those final little touches this process can be extra difficult. At some point you just have to let go and call it finished.

Taking a break always helps a lot. You can get way too inside of your own recordings to the point where you'll miss obvious "big" details. Step back for a couple of weeks and re-listen and it'll likely sound completely different to your ears.

Also, listen in different places ... in the car, in headphones, on a crappy living room system. I'm sure you know to do that but it's always a good process to keep in mind.

• Get a part time job. Nobody can be creative 24/7 any way. You might end up becoming more focused when you're working on music too plus it's good to have something to bitch about.

As others said... Leave the project alone for a week until you're really anxious to get back to work.

Good luck.

Dress

• amphibiousamphibious 147 Posts
    From what I can tell this is a problem for most musicians, I think I finish maybe 1/5 of the tracks I start.

I definitely agree with dude who said step away and come back, I feel like what needs to happen can be so obvious once you get away from the project for a few weeks. Forcing it is definitely not the answer, you'll never feel satisfied that way.

That being said, there is a point where you have to let go, put it out, and move on the next shit.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    doom, it sounds as if the goal of finishing the LP or getting closer to it is throwing you off..youve quit your job, so now your conscious is fucking with your creativity..

would love to hear some of your stuff, maybe you could post a couple snippets?

are you still working with oliver and melting pot?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    I was going to add - play it for some folks who aren't going to puff you up. Whether that's your one friend who hates the style of music you do, or complete strangers... get away from the friends and people who care about your feelings

I always try to be that goto no-BS person. If someone asks for my opinion on their music I tell them my honest opinion. I'll tell a friend (or stranger) straight up if I think his rapping sucks or his beats are lacking, but I try to be as constructive and specific as possible.

Most people are too Mom-like when it comes to giving critique (basically variations of "that sounds pretty cool"). I guess it's an attempt at being polite, but it's not really helping anyone.

DMcDoom, I want to hear your masterpiece too. I know you got some heat. I think you just need to let it marinate for a while and return to it with fresh ears.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    i have worked on an lp for a year, which includes tracks spanning from a 3 year period. all my soul have gone into the project. but for the last month ive been stuck at 80%, which is silly. because i have quit my job to focus on music. its like i could fire myself for not making enough progress the last month. i do think its about 2 weeks of hard work left, which means it should have been finished 3 weeks ago.

Dude, I am 100% in the same boat as you right now.

My team has been helping me out lately, but i really gotta finish this motherfucker one way or the other. I just hope I don't hate it anymore than i do now by the time anyone gets to hear it.

- spidey

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    thanks for your advice everyone. im taking two weeks off for sure to regain perspective on things. im thankful for your "obvious" advice aswell, made me remember some things that managed to get out of my routines without me noticing it.. im loving the idea of bouncing down tracks and getting out in the nature.

only two people besides me heard the thing, boths biggest reactions was making sure i finish all tracks played. i think ill go with my gut this time, beeing the first lp and everything. i think people will respect that in the end. admittedly this failed now in the last month, but im really hoping i can manage after a break.

that said, im feeling the idea of having a group of friends friends having a listening party or whatever you call it. preferably without me. hearing about such a thing afterwards would be mindblowing im sure. very tempting..

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I read most of this thread but I'm in a rush (family things) but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in. So, if what I say has been said already just disregard this.

It's real easy to have a finished project and not realize it is in fact FINISHED. And you just keep pushing it and finding things that need to be done to it. You're always your worst critic and biggest fan. Have a virgin ear listen to it and get their opinion. Someone that isn't involved in music AT ALL. I always think girls are the best critics. When they like something, it moves them and when they dislike something, they're honest.

I hope this was helpful. Good luck with the project!!

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    I am in a similar situation at the moment, I actually am not working at the moment either, which I think is counterproductive to my output, when i was having to find time to get stuff done, I was a lot more effective in how I used my time. The other thing I have finally realized is you have to let go of the music, I am about to take all the sessions to a friend of mine interstate and allowing him complete creative control to mix the project, I have previously tried and even gained a little success, but in areas where I struggled to get the sound I was after I ended up avoiding working with them, I think I became to close and precious about it, which is easy to do when you have spent considerable time developing it.

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    Hi Doom!

I remember you being obsessive about your music and the quality a while ago.
    Which is not necessarily a bad thing but as cosmophonic said all the greatest music we love hasnt been made by scientists. Its stuff that comes from the heart and soul. Forcing yourself will make your work sound overconstructed instead.

I can only second the posts about talking that shit to the forrest dot com.
    The other day I was on my way home and wound up sitting in the sunny park listening to all my stuff in one go. You get a totally different perspective

Its amazing how different music can be perceived.

One thing I think that works in general:
    If you start to feel you've gone past the part where you add new things and start going into finetuning, leave your homestudio! Trying to get a fresh listen should not be done in the place you've been working on stuff for ages. It makes you "colorblind"

Its always difficult to play stuff you think is not ready to show yet.
    But I am always amazed by what noobs say. Normally you'd think they would react saying stuff like

"I liked this one it makes me want to do this and that." or "I think this is too boring, I cant dance to this"

But they come up with real interesting stuff you would never hear from a fellow dj or somebody whos been oversaturated by instrumental break orientated music. Like people that don't do the same music as you, or none at all.

My favorite people to ask for feedback are non record collectors that love music and listen to a wide span of genres. In the end those are the people who buy stuff in the record store. Musicians are too broke anyways

On a related topic:

I quit my job last winter to do something similar. And the strain of your bank account can really wear on you and your creative output. I freelance now and to my great satisfaction I am able to make almost the same as on a full time job leaving me time to get creative, travel or do what I need to do.

It also reverts you to that back in the schooldays mode, where you'd run home to keep working on your music when everything was fresh. The feeling of being paid allowing you stop worry can be very elevating too

BALANCE YO LIFE

The other thing I have finally realized is you have to let go of the music, I am about to take all the sessions to a friend of mine interstate and allowing him complete creative control to mix the project

This is a very valid point. And its not even about skills.
    Music is not really about sitting in your studio locking yourself up and then opening the gates suddenly releasing the holy shit.

Name a great record that was made that way. waxidermy records do not count btw

Seriously though, working with musicians has really opened my eyes in the last year leaving the false preconception that I will not be able to agree with them or make things work the way i want to behind me. You have to deal with people and its not easy at times, but isn't this were all the great music in history has been made?

People clashing? Not to mention the fun and the booze

• doomdoom 305 Posts
    yeah ive obsessed with it for quite some time, but ive changed my approach a little over the years. in the beginning i sat there with pen & paper writing down stuff that needs to be done to the tracks, but right now i write down shit i am amped up to do, shit i think would be fun. i want to control the tracks, cant have it the other way around. ultimately practicing what i love rahter than whats expected from the scene. i mean imagine the head of your choosing writing down whats best for the track,i dont think its happening.. may it be dilla, bomb squad, madlib, premier, flying lotus or.. solar lol

but thinking about how i steered this lp in the last month making microadjustments is straight up silly. feels retarded thinging about it. i really needed this break i think. i hope it isnt the goal thats putting me off. scary thoughts for sure there upskiboo..

the thing i do force however is sample chopping and mixing sometimes, but compared to all the fun ive had with the samples afterwards its totally worth it. and how easy that shit has become with live, its not a big problem. i am however waiting for some hardware controller for live made to chop samples. would be a dream. probably possible allready with max for live, macros assigned to midi and all that. but my live knowledge isnt that deep yet. and im waiting for this kinda people to lace us with a stable version of live 8.

anyways, i hope im not over-analyzing things. and im gonna try my best to have fun with these weeks off. ill see you guys in the beat threads.

Good luck waiting for solar to lace you with ableton live

Now go play with squirrels outside M**t*n!

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    nice thread.

I?m in a similar boat. Not stressing but feeling a bit of the ?man when will this ever get finished? as I work on my band?s album. I?m in the final 90% done zone but this last 10% is takin me FOREVER to finish, and frankly I want to get on to some fresh projects.

I will try and limit myself to only working on 1 song until that 1 song is completely mixed and FINSIHED before I move onto the next. Its BRUTAL but I find it better than juggling multiple tracks.

1 thing I find helpful is even though I am primarily responsible for the production work and the majority of the ?songwriting? is to asign my band members tasks. Like if they say we need more vocal tunes I will tell my drummer ?you HAVE to write lyrics for this 1 song?. And if I?m feeling slaved werkin on vocals I will tell my bass player ?you?ve gotta sing at least 2 songs on the record?. I also have regular check in points with my drummer where we sit down and listen to something that I think of as 90% done and with his feedback / ideas we can usually edit / werk on it and finish it there and then.

A lot of stuff is DONE ? you usually just can?t see the forest for the trees.

• Otis_FunkmeyerOtis_Funkmeyer 1,321 Posts
    Finishing a project is always scary. Some of the procrastination could be because making the album is the fun part, and pushing it / the business / promotion part etc. totally sucks.

That and like others have said, you can fine tune a project forever. At some point you just have to say, this is a snapshot of where I was at this point In my life and my next one will incorporate all of these new ideas I'm having, just for the sake of finishing.

If it's never finished and no one hears it, it's almost like it was never even started. Just sayin'.

• catalistcatalist 1,373 Posts

If it's never finished and no one hears it, it's almost like it was never even started. Just sayin'.

Damn, gettin' deep on us.... good point! Lots of great advice in this thread, thanks guys.