Is Lady GaGa a tranny?

Comments

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Gaga is the new Amy Winehouse?

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    It's a kettle/black situation for young Joanna. As interesting as her music is (to me), it is shtick-y -- harp, elvish voice, epic, difficult songs. Her newest material is more easily penentrated than the Ys record but she still is very much selling a specific product much in the same way as the Gaga. Her comments were likely fueled by a.) a lack of sleep and b.) a healthy helping on jealousy, especially for someone who admittedly enjoys "crappy TV," Jay-Z and Kanye. It's pop culture. Full stop. I am not very familiar with many Gaga songs but I am definitely familiar with the Gaga Brand. I bet the same is true for Joanna Newsom -- they might not recognize any of her tunes but are aware of what she is selling, for better or worse.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    incidentally, tomorrow tickets are going on sale for a Lady Gaga concert taking place here in APRIL 2011!

she just played here in December (sold out arena, quickly) but they're giving her an 11 month lead time! crazy...shows how desperate the major label players are, and the extent to which they lean on their few profitable acts at this point, even more so than in the last decade or two.

i've seen 6-8 month leads but an 11-monther is the longest i've yet encountered.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    It's not THAT easy to sit down and write a song that get's stuck in millions of people's heads at once.

It's not that hard, either.

And so this chick wears a bunch of stupid looking hats and shit and writes tepid pop, what's the big deal? Dudes on Soulstrut sound bored.

By the way, I read through this whole thread, so I think I'm bored also.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    One of the functions of popular music within the American culture is to give the listener a feeling of independence by shocking or offending the listener?s parent?s generation.

My father wore ?peg pants?, slicked back his hair and listened to the very ?obscene? Elvis?.and his folks were outraged.

My generation grew their hair long, wore bell bottoms and listened to ?drug/hippie music?(or as my Dad called it ?Jungle Music?)?.and my folks were outraged.

Each generation has to grab on to something that fits this bill??but these days, it?s almost impossible.

We?ve had a generation of Punk music and body piercing?..rap music and tattoos?.but in 2010 what the hell is left that will shock a 30-40 something year old parent??

?Lady GaGa Is A Hermaphrodite? was a lame attempt to try to create some of this parental outrage but it just isn?t working anymore like those ?Long Haired Beatles? did in 1964.

I feel sorry for the coming generations who will no longer be able to shock and awe their parents with pop culture.

Just wait until YOUR kids start listening to ?Conservative Pop? or some other ridiculous genre in an attempt to outrage and rebel against YOU?it?ll happen?.and you?ll be begging for Lady GaGa to come back.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    At some point, it's got to come full circle, and kids will have to resort to listening to classical/folk music to shock their hip-hop/punk loving parents (as Rockadelic sort of implied).

FWIW, I can't possibly know what Gaga's thinking, but she may know, at least to some degree, what she's doing; i.e. that becoming famous, and making money as a performing pop musician, rarely has anything to do with actual musicianship. Making a spectacle of yourself and getting people to talk about you, even if they don't like what you're doing, is far more effective.

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    but these days, it?s almost impossible.

very interesting point raised here by Rock...I am no parent, yet I am in my 30's and I don't care about Lady Gaga, but as being said, give her props for "her hustle"...to get back to the generation situation, I was recently playing dubstep in the car to my parents who are in their 60's to try to shock them...they both started headnodding and my mum asked if I could give her some stuff for her ipod...

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The tranny stuff is an insult, not a marketing ploy. Lady Gaga is more about inclusivity than rebellion. You can't re-do what Madonna did 20 years ago and expect to be rebellious.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    If you want to piss your parents off, pop music is a rather antiquated way of doing it. It's all been done before. What's rebellious about doing exactly what your parents did to annoy they're parents?
    You could be lame and listen to someone like Marilyn Manson. He seemed pretty good at pissing middle Americans off, from what I heard of it.
    But there are now 100 new ways to do it. Ways that fit with the youth culture of today, not with those of a 30, 40 or 50 something.

If you want to piss your parents off, pop music is a rather antiquated way of doing it. It's all been done before. What's rebellious about doing exactly what your parents did to annoy they're parents?
    You could be lame and listen to someone like Marilyn Manson. He seemed pretty good at pissing middle Americans off, from what I heard of it.
    But there are now 100 new ways to do it. Ways that fit with the youth culture of today, not with those of a 30, 40 or 50 something.

You don't think that a good majority of the teens that listen to Rap, Punk, ICP, etc. today do so out of a type of "rebellion"??

Some REAL rebellious kids don't even raise their pinky when they drink their tea!

The tranny stuff is an insult, not a marketing ploy. Lady Gaga is more about inclusivity than rebellion. You can't re-do what Madonna did 20 years ago and expect to be rebellious.

According to my youngest daughter who is a big Lady Gaga fan(Fly to NYC for a show big) all the hermaphrodite stuff was started by Ms. Gaga herownself as a way to draw attention.(No publicity is bad publicity).

If that is true, it's a marketing ploy.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

According to my youngest daughter who is a big Lady Gaga fan(Fly to NYC for a show big) all the hermaphrodite stuff was started by Ms. Gaga herownself as a way to draw attention.(No publicity is bad publicity).

If that is true, it's a marketing ploy.

I'm sure she's cool with being sexually ambiguous as it's all part of the scene she's aping/using/part off. But I don't think the rumor came from her, she just flipped on them, rather than getting all asshurt about.

edit/ according to wiki it was Christina Aguilera. (although I don't know if thats a chicken/egg type situation)

Toward the end of 2008, comparisons were made between the fashions of Lady Gaga and recording artist Christina Aguilera, noting similarities in their styling, hair, and make-up.[5] Aguilera later said she was "completely unaware of [Gaga]" and "didn't know if it [was] a man or a woman."[5] Gaga released a statement in which she welcomed the comparisons, due to the attention providing useful publicity, saying, "She's such a huge star and if anything I should send her flowers, because a lot of people in America didn't know who I was until that whole thing happened. It really put me on the map in a way."

The first I heard of her being a tranny was when some pictures of her were taken with a largish bulge in her hot pants, and all the internet idiots were like, OMG she's TTLY got a penis!

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    Linetrap

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

You don't think that a good majority of the teens that listen to Rap, Punk, ICP, etc. today do so out of a type of "rebellion"??

Sure. There will always be an element of this meme.

The teenagers of the 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s did it properly. With originality. But rebellion through pop music suffers from diminishing returns. If your parents were 80s raver/punk/rocker/cokeheads how do you rebel against that? Then you're left with just rebelling against rebellion. Which happened somewhat in the 90s. What's left for the kids of today? Irony?

They all live on the internet now, so the ballpark has changed. There's a whole new set of rules to be broken.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

just admit you like lady gaga. own that shit. oh, and why not come out of the closet while you're at it...

So weak.

"rebellion"

I don't think parents wilding out as teens - be it to ragtime, The Beatles, Hendrix or GWAR - makes them hard to rebel against. Of all my friends who are parents, the strictest one I know is covered in tattoos, grew up on punk music and has seen a bit of life. What he may have listened to coming up and whatever he did doesn't prevent him from separating his youth from that of his kids'. For one to go through it is one thing, to see your 13yr old attempt it, is something totally different.

IMO, it's going to be less and less about rebelling through music and more about rebelling through behaviour.
    The mediums are overlapping - whereas genres of music used to sit apart from the mainstream, I am pressed to come up with one that isn't reflected or somehow embedded in movies, video games, TV, fashion, current events, etc.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    hey bassie you know what is "so weak"? when people have a discussion about some current pop band or some other trivial shit and then turn that into an opportunity to attack others personally and then get all offended when someone decides to push back a little.

• UnherdUnherd 1,880 Posts
    i think what's much weaker is when someone says some dumb shit, they know they did, but instead of "owning it", they're too busy jumping down everyone's throat to just say "hey, ok, i fucked up".

i don't think you're homophobic, just stubborn as hell. if it was a joke, it was wack. if it wasn't, it was wack. move on dude..

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    i may be stubborn, but i like to think i can admit when i am wrong. the second part of the comment was out of line.

the fact is that in addition to attacking me personally ut of the blue, the guy was getting very defensive about lady gaga and then he started dropping all these details like he's really been reading up on her so i said "own it". the rest was uncalled for.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I don't think parents wilding out as teens - be it to ragtime, The Beatles, Hendrix or GWAR - makes them hard to rebel against. Of all my friends who are parents, the strictest one I know is covered in tattoos, grew up on punk music and has seen a bit of life. What he may have listened to coming up and whatever he did doesn't prevent him from separating his youth from that of his kids'. For one to go through it is one thing, to see your 13yr old attempt it, is something totally different.

IMO, it's going to be less and less about rebelling through music and more about rebelling through behaviour.
    The mediums are overlapping - whereas genres of music used to sit apart from the mainstream, I am pressed to come up with one that isn't reflected or somehow embedded in movies, video games, TV, fashion, current events, etc.

Sure, like a parents need to control and protect their children, a child's tendency to push at those boundaries is always going to be there, and it's always going to be pretty easy to rebel against uptight parenting.
    But a lot of what was so powerful about previous generation's rebellions, was that is went much further than the home, it went out into society at large.

A lot of what was once considered alternative culture is lost to the newest generation's rebellion. It's all been absorbed by the mainstream and homogenized. And this continues to happen at an ever increasing rate.
    No sooner will kids have found a new way of rebelling, Nike will turn up, and their rebellion will become their latest viral advert.
    The only way to avoid absorption is to go for the pillars of societies morality code.
    No mater how edgy your brand is, you're not going to be adopting pedobear as your new mascot.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Damn... This kid just killed GaGa

Blonde in the top row is head over heels HA

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I think the hipsters have done a god job of rebelling against societal norms and pissing people off.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts

Man, he sure did take a lot of words to say "I'm old and disconnected."

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    the best word he used was "gah-guh."

I happened to see this at my parents' on Sunday. HTF is this show still around? It is the worst thing ever. They better not use the words "investigative" and "journalism" together to describe their sorry-ass show. They're on the White House's PR buck, right? That interview with Clinton almost ruined Mother's Day.

I think they are just digitally putting together Rooney's segments now, it's not hard given he's been doing the same piece for 20yrs.

"...like Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, and Usher. I mean, who?!"[/b]

I think they are just digitally putting together Rooney's segments now, it's not hard given he's been doing the same piece for 20yrs.

Fun fact: her daughter hosts a local Boston news and public affairs show on our channel. Everyone hates her because she's a raving bitch. True story.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Man, he sure did take a lot of words to say "I'm old and disconnected."

I keep waiting for the segment where he really goes off the rails, "The other night I was doing an 8 ball off of of my pool boy Manuel's ass and he put on this song by Lady Gaga, I told him that her name reminded me of a Korean tyranny that gave me the clap in 1954."

The best thing I've seen Rooney do is kick Alan Zweig (dir of Vinyl) out of his office in I, Curmudgeon. I love Alan, but it was funny.