Is Digging Dead?

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Digging is dead...if you want it.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

But, popping back into some record shops, flea markets, etc. over the last couple months has been a little disconcerting because it seems like you can't cop a record for less than $15 dollars anymore! My feeling is that the big digging "fad" in the late 90s/early 00s coupled with eBay/popsike has really inflated the value of a lot of records.

I know there have always been record boutiques that cater to those not particularly willing to get dusty and have some dollars to spend...but does anyone else get the feeling that even your average record spot is trying to cash in on even moderately 'rare' titles?

I don't get the feeling they are trying to "cash in" as much as stay alive. It's been a hard-ass year for a lot of people and record stores - any small business really - are not immune. Just becasue they are selling doesn't mean one has to buy. If it's not that rare, then I am sure it can be found on the regular e-sites for a cheaper tag.
    I'm not sure where you live, but in Toronto, the prices have not struck me as too high one way or another. I just got back from NYC, same thing there. I was in Chicago a year ago, nor there.

I am sure there are those much more schooled in economic trends and trickle-downs than I am, but I feel like if the fad you're citing is 10-15 yrs ago, the prices would not be jumping only now.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Digging's Dead!? You could have told me before I spent all daddys' money on my theme park.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Prices are down on most everything except the rarest and/or hottest records right now.

• DCarfagnaDCarfagna 983 Posts
    Prices are down on most everything except the rarest and/or hottest records right now.
    Also known as a buyer's market.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

as both a buyer and a seller this bums me out and makes me psyched.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

as both a buyer and a seller this bums me out and makes me psyched.

I'm buying up everything now to sell later. Take the good with the bad, it'll come back around soon enough.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Well seriously I am glad to read some of these responses. Maybe its just the spots I go and my attitude.

I would never classify myself as a serious digger or collector...not in this company, anyway!...but I'm always on the lookout for good music and out-there stuff for my own listening pleasure, the rare gig and for some bedroom beat-making. So perhaps that could be why I am not exhausting all the avenues.

Maybe its just that there are a lot more dudes like me out there that relatively speaking only scratch the surface.

I'm excited to get back into the mix and glad to know that there are still finds to be made out there.

• Sometimes I'm surprised when I find good stuff at my local thrift shop. After rummaging through a bunch of Andy Williams, Barbara Streisand and Christmas albums, I do find stuff that I constantly keep in rotation. I do use eBay occassionally as well as craigslist, but I still go out to the record shops. Som Records and Red Onion are my primary spots, and I always find something that I didn't even know I was looking for.

• Manduro3000Manduro3000 265 Posts
    does anyone else get the feeling that even your average record spot is trying to cash in on even moderately 'rare' titles?

Yes, but sometimes these same spots do slip up. I caught these titles for next to nothing because the store looked up the records on ebay and mistaken the reissue price for the price of an OG copy. And its not my place to correct them.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    My bud flipped me this joint after digging it outta a local haunt for 10$ last week. Best pull in a long while.

Digging's as dead as you want it to be.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Digging's as dead as you want it to be.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    My brother flew into town and we dug for 8 hours on Friday....

This shit is so good. I would probably have to keep it if I ever found it.

Are all these Grand Prairie related?

• selperfugeselperfuge 1,165 Posts
    "digging" = romanticizing the get over. the big come up and the accompanying dopamine rush. big stories and no mention of the other 7/8 of your time chasing garbage and burning gas money. mentality of the locust, the hunter gatherer model.

getting records = creating relationships, treating the right people with the respect they deserve. agricultural.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    who cares how you 'dig' its about getting your hands on records you want

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

getting records = creating relationships, treating the right people with the respect they deserve. agricultural.
    SOFT

...and thats another thing!

WTF is with all these record shops plugging their bins with re-ishs??

I've trained myself not to get excited until I check the inside of the sleeve.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    ...and thats another thing!

WTF is with all these record shops plugging their bins with re-ishs??

I've trained myself not to get excited until I check the inside of the sleeve.

I'm guessing it's because some people don't want to wait their entire life in hope of finding a record they'd like to own and listen to now?

b/w

Is it really that hard to tell the difference between an OG and a repop?

I'm fine with that...just sayin maybe have a different section for those things or something at least

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    And what's with these record stores always giving away free beer and being all friendly and shit? Fuck that, bring the grit and grime back to diggity diggity diggin' already. I mean, I ain't got this oversized hoodie on for nothing.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    And what's with these record stores always giving away free beer and being all friendly and shit? Fuck that, bring the grit and grime back to diggity diggity diggin' already. I mean, I ain't got this oversized hoodie on for nothing.

lol

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    diggity diggity diggin'

YES. Also, I'm tired of all the "cocaine this, thug that" rapp. Gimme that good old "rapp diddy rapp yo rapp da diddy rapp!"

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm tired of "private dealers". Reminds me of the guys who stop you on the street with a briefcase full of gold watches and chains.

• Options
    Q: Is digging dead?

A: Yes. (ebay and mp3-R)

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I'll tell you what's dead... "Digging"

You know? the glamorized Indiana Jones of records shit. If that's how you make your living, then cool, get that guap. No reason I should have to hear or read about it all the time, and I definitely don't hold Thor Hyedahl in a higher regard because he finds records on Easter Island. Basically, 'color me concerned'.

The guys that coined the term "diggin" were looking through their pops' and uncles old collections. Maybe hitting up the thrift spot on the corner. The lengths that people go through to get records nowadays isn't "digging," it's "stalking."

It's called "record shopping" regardless of how you do it. If you don't want to pay the price the seller asks, then don't buy it.

• Fred_GarvinFred_Garvin The land of wind and ghosts 337 Posts
    I'm ready to come clean.

I killed digging. I didn't mean to. It was an accident, I swear... I was cleaning my turntable and it went off.

Sorry about that.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    One thing's for sure, as we all saw the other day...shigging is not dead.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    The lengths that people go through to get records nowadays isn't "digging," it's "stalking."

FOR REAL!!! mfukkas need to relax

• GenePontecorvoGenePontecorvo 5,612 Posts
    Diggin' ain't dead/It just moved to the Web