Wisdom Tooth Strut

2»

Comments

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I had 4 teeth removed when I was 14 before I got braces. They did two at a time and let me have a week between. It sucked, but it wasn't nearly as bad as I thoguht it would be, though i hear that Wisdom teeth are the worst to have removed. A co-worker of mine has just taken two weeks off before getting hers out, and God knows how she'll survive not smoking for more than 5 minutes!

What was funny though was that when I had some water just after he had pulled the teeth, i did the whole Kramer thing and spat water out everywhere on the floor because of the numbness in one side of my mouth. I just looked at the dentist like WTF, and he said "yeah, i forgot to tell you that might happen."

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    i do remember the night of, some kids busting bottles and sitting on my car across the street. i went outside with my bike lock and started screaming on them only to have blood come pouring out of my mouth. they left.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Women have a higher tolerance for pain than men.

And I don't care if there is any science behind that statement or not, I'm standing by it!

I guess we need it more!

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Did you get your wisdoms out yet, Jammy?

I got all 4 pulled out a couple summers ago. Actually wasn't that bad, but a positive attitude really helps. Go to more than one doctor; some doctors might suggest getting wisdom teeth pulled just because they'll make money off it.

I say go under the general anesthesia. After braces, I know it's uncomfortable to have to sit in a chair for 45 minutes, listening to strange noises echoing in your head while your mouth is stretched wide enough to fit a fist into. You'll need someone to drive you to and from the doctor's office, because you'll be high afterward.

The pain wasn't too bad for me. I took it easy on the solid foods. Took my vicodin and my antibiotics. I switched to ibuprofen after a few days, though. It hurts, but the drugs will take care of it. Make sure you pop a pill or two before you go to bed. You heal when you rest, and you need to rest well.

Bite down on a black tea bag to staunch any excess bleeding. The tannic acid in the tea helps (but no herbal tea). The pain was a lot more manageable that I thought, but then again, I'm a woman.

The WORST part was my swollen face. I looked like a chipmunk for a few days.

I've had friends who reacted badly and some who came back to work/school the very same day of their surgery. I heard that you shouldn't schedule your surgery on a Friday because 1) the staff is in a hurry to start their weekends and 2) if you have any complications, you won't be able to reach your doctor/nurse until Monday.

Good luck. It really wasn't that bad for me.

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    I am doing my best to put it off. Plus I am broke. Thanks alot for everyones stories and comments. I feel a bit more optimistic about it all now!