Wisdom Tooth Strut

jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Okay, so i hadn't been to see the dentist for 14 years. I finally got the balls to go for a check up and and everything was fine (suprisingly) apart from the fact that they say i need my wisdoms out and it will require surgery.Has anyone here gone under the knife (or pliers) for this? I hate the dentist as it is but now i am really schitting my pants.I'm thinking of getting a second opinion...

Comments

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    it is truly awful.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    Yep, I did it. Loved the pain pills, hated the dry socket. A dentist suggested putting cotton strips soaked in clove oil in the wounds, pain went away immediately and healed up nicely. All in all, glad I did it. Apparently, my lower front teeth would likely have cracked from the pressure, if I hadn't.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm thinking of getting a second opinion...

Do this. These days, dentists are quick to recommend getting your wisdom teeth pulled because it's money in the bank for them. My dentist never even mentions wisdom teeth unless I have dental coverage. I've gone for cleanings and checkups both with and without coverage, and it's only when I have coverage that they start giving me the spiel about yanking my wisdom teeth. Shit seems mad suspect.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I bled everywhere and it took the doctor and hour because he shattered the tooth and couldn't get at it. my mouth was so swollen it looked like i was sucking a softball. I have pics somewhere at home. I'll post them up later and scare the crap out of you.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    not fun.
    at all.
    had food getting stuck in those holes for months.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Look at the x-ray. When I asked my dentist if he was sure they had to come out he just laughed and showed me.

My wisdom teeth were literally sideways, with the roots pointing towards my ears and the tops toward the center of my mouth. The dude had to shatter them with a chrome Thor hammer and chisel and pick the pieces out.

I was worried because the pain relievers they give you, Percodan, Percoset etc don't work on me. I took four of them and nada.

When the Novocaine wore off it didn't hurt much and the holes were healed in a week.

The shit I'm going through now is much worse, or it will be soon...

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts

• E_DailyE_Daily 812 Posts
    I got a great dentist, I did the 2 by 2 which leaves you one side to chew whilst recovery. Big but on this is you have to go twice.

I got nervous and sweaty palms during the procedure and one of the teeth was cracked while pulling it out too.

After that it was all chills. I got home checked for the blood to stop flowing and smoked myself to bed.
    Fuck them painkillers, took one 30 mins after the operation and the weed did the rest.

I can only repeat: The Dentist is key.

I hardly even noticed the needles apart from the ones going directly in the gum which is a sting one can handle. Its over after a sec anyways.

Did this when I was 18, so its quite some years ago.
    Grown man should survive this no problems.

oh yeah, no swelling whatever on my part even though they cut out two of the teeth.

• i've heard you're not supposed to smoke for a few days after you get them pulled. that means no weed.

• ladydayladyday 623 Posts
    Y'all a buncha big babies! ;-)

I had all 4 taken out last spring, and as long as you follow the after-care instructions (no smoking, no drinking through straws, etc) and pray you don't get dry-socket, it's nothing some Tylenol can't handle.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Women have a higher tolerance for pain than men.

And I don't care if there is any science behind that statement or not, I'm standing by it!

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I had two of them removed this past November (plus a neighbor tooth that had become absessed). I definitely recommend having them pulled. If a tooth becomes absessed (basically your wisdom tooth stabs into its neighbor), the pain is excrutiating. I can't overemphasize that. I have a strong tolerence for pain and I'd be lying on the ground like a madman. I remember the pain hitting me at work one day while I had a patron (I'm an archivist) ... he's in one room researching and I'm in the next room pacing out of control.

Anyway, surprisingly enough, my surgery was a breeze. I went to a very good oral surgeon ... I'm sure that's a factor. Dude had all three teeth out in less than a minute. And I only needed pain relievers for about 24 hours. The day after the surgery I took one in the morning and was good from that point.

I'm not saying yours will go this smoothly. Just chiming in with my experience to let you know that it's at least possible to have a reasonably smooth experience.

Definitely avoid anything that creates suction in your mouth (straws, smoking, sucking a golf ball through a garden hose, etc) for about five days to avoid getting a dry socket. I was incredibly paranoid about that ... they apparently "suck". My friend Sarah wrote a song about her dry socket (cigarettes related). Here's her band singing it while she's pregnant with her now almost two year old daughter:

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I had two pulled after they got too bad to perform root canals on, one had broken into pieces and was a bitch to get out, the other popped out pretty easy. As long as your dentist isn't too rough with you the actual extraction should be fine, the needle barely hurts and novacaine is effective stuff. The most important thing is to make sure you take care of it afterwards, don't smoke or use a straw by any means for a few days to avoid the dry socket. That shit is the worst.

Ultimately the few days of discomfort is so worth it once you don't have to deal with the constant misery of a toothache, you'll wish you had done it sooner.

Women have a higher tolerance for pain than men.

And I don't care if there is any science behind that statement or not, I'm standing by it!

I'm a quivering coward compared to any woman that's given birth.

I have no problem whatsoever admitting that.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I had all 4 of mine taken out at once. All 4 were impacted. They knocked me out and when I came to I tried to fight my way to the car (so I heard). Once I got home I found huge yellowish bruises all over my chest from what I can only guess was the dentist's foot trying to yank my teef out. I was also out for 2 days on vicodin and my face looked like the elephant man.

Other than that, it was fine.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Oh yeah, and this

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Go with a general anesthesia instead of a local one. The sound of your teeth being pulled out of your head is something you'll never forget and can be avoided.

i've heard you're not supposed to smoke for a few days after you get them pulled. that means no weed.

Didnt do me any bad

But I guess yeah, no smoke into the bloody gum area.
    Perhaps I still had the cotton in the cheeks, dont remember

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Had all four removed when I was 17, all four were impacted, would have busted up the rest of my teeth.
    I have the xrays at home somewhere.
    They used local anesthesia.
    It really didn't hurt to be honest man. My jaw was sore and swollen as hell for a few days but the codeine they gave me totally made up for it

Go with a general anesthesia instead of a local one. The sound of your teeth being pulled out of your head is something you'll never forget and can be avoided.

this is bullshit. General is bad for your body and I would avoid this any time you can.

Unless you're the total Dentist-wuss of course.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    wisdom teeth = evolution FAIL.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    i've heard you're not supposed to smoke for a few days after you get them pulled. that means no weed.

Didnt do me any bad

But I guess yeah, no smoke into the bloody gum area.
    Perhaps I still had the cotton in the cheeks, dont remember

This is more about avoiding dry sockets (which are caused by suction). So no straws or cigarettes.

this is bullshit. General is bad for your body and I would avoid this any time you can.

Unless you're the total Dentist-wuss of course.

Getting put under should always be a last resort. In many situations it's the most dangerous thing about a given procedure.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I had local for all four a few years ago. It was kinda rad to be honest. The first one took 45 minutes to get out. I had a couple of laughing fits, to the staff's dismay. They were clean pulls, no breakage. I kept the teeth - they are GIANT! I had no swelling and it healed very quickly. But the painkillers made
    me sick to my stomach and I bit into my lip really badly when my mouth was still frozen. Those last two things were worse than everything that came before it.
    Local all the way.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I had all four pulled at 16 with general anesthesia. Not a big deal.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    It's not too big of a deal unless your wisdom teeth are really impacted. After they come out though the worst part, IMO, is the little pieces of tooth and bone that gradually push there way out. Not really painful just annoying. You'll be fine.

• barjesusbarjesus 872 Posts
    I'm serious about the clove oil soaked cotton strips. By stuffing them in the holes the pain goes away and you won't get dry socket.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I'm serious about the clove oil soaked cotton strips. By stuffing them in the holes the pain goes away and you won't get dry socket.

This is true, but they don't like to do it anymore. Doctors now prefer invisible stitches.
    I had general anesthesia because mine were bad. If you think you could hang with the sound of them crunching and ripping your teeth out, get a local. Otherwise, go general.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Yep, I did it. Loved the pain pills, hated the dry socket. A dentist suggested putting cotton strips soaked in clove oil in the wounds, pain went away immediately and healed up nicely. All in all, glad I did it. Apparently, my lower front teeth would likely have cracked from the pressure, if I hadn't.

I remember that. Prolly didnt help that you were huffing down Kools like it was no one's biz.

I got all 4 of mine out at once. i took one of those pill cocktails the night before and the morning of, and it put me in some weird zombie mode. i remember the procedure pretty clearly. they put a blindfold on me and went to town. i remember a bunch of crunching and drill sounds. At one point the orthodontist had his foot on my chair arm to get leverage. they had to cut the bottom two just to get them out, they were jammed in there so tough.

i healed pretty quick with no complications. i do remember the night of, some kids busting bottles and sitting on my car across the street. i went outside with my bike lock and started screaming on them only to have blood come pouring out of my mouth. they left.