have there been ANY good series finales???

2»

Comments

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I always thought the Village looked like a nice place to live full time. Play chess all day, lounge around in groovy togs, no violence. Didn't even need to pay rent on the nice pad.

All it needed was a few record shops and a happening bar.

You can always head over to Wales and stay in Portmeirion village......

http://www.portmeirion-village.com/

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I did actually go there and was dismayed to discover the place was actually just full of Welsh people.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I did actually go there and was dismayed to discover the place was actually just full of Welsh people.

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,890 Posts
    Portmerion is 99.9% white. FACT.

Serious doe, I hatted the end of The Prisoner. I found the end, where it's his own mush as #1, to be out of kilter with the more prosaic stylings of the previous installments.

I think they ran out of ideas and Paddy Mc (who IIRC was bossing the whole affair at this point) decided to throw the world a curve ball.

I bet Lost will end with a polar bear in a blazer or some such.

Iron Maiden's "Prisoner" track is strayt fiyyyyor doe (Run-Rings-Around-You-R)

BTW Dallas also had a cwazy finale. Talmbout JR and the Devil / unresolved gunshot IIRC.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Good Times tied everything up neatly - everybody was about to move out of the projects, J.J. got this incredible graphic arts gig, Thalma's husband got a contract with the Chicago Bears, and there were a few other developments that don't come to mind at the moment.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Count me among the camp that loved the final episode of "The Sopranos" -- it was open ended and featured Journey, what more do you need?

Yeah, I was wrong-footed by it at first, as I imagine everyone was. After I thought about it, I was like, OK, that's fair enough. I read one analysis of the diner scene that broke down the symbolism to an insane degree (and David Chase has gone on record as saying that everything within that scene has a very specific meaning), but I've never felt the need to get that deep about it.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Count me among the camp that loved the final episode of "The Sopranos" -- it was open ended and featured Journey, what more do you need?

Yeah, I was wrong-footed by it at first, as I imagine everyone was. After I thought about it, I was like, OK, that's fair enough. I read one analysis of the diner scene that broke down the symbolism to an insane degree (and David Chase has gone on record as saying that everything within that scene has a very specific meaning), but I've never felt the need to get that deep about it.

Yeah I for one loved Sopranos. I remember watching it with the wife and looking at the clock and like a split second before "the cut" I know it was going to go out like that. Still fucks with me but I think it was done extremely well. I completely trust Chase that he knows EXACTLY what he was doing.

Wire I also liked because it was the antithesis of the Sopranos finale. Wrapped things up but not in a heavy handed way, and brought it back to one man's perspective. The finale of was the saving grace of season 5 IMO.

A finale that hasn't been mentioned but I always loved was Cheers. "We're closed."

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

13 hours of goodness. You'll thank me later.

• MoSSMoSS 458 Posts
    Battlestar Galactica, the newer series. IMO one of the most slept on shows during it's airing

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Yall have to be fusking high if you think the series finale of Sopranos was good. It was lazy and obviously allowed for a sequel or movie in the future. It was hacky, transparent and showed a lack of conviction by Chase in not knowing how to end it. It was filled with a buncha bullshit that was not genius at all, but just a way to distract people from the fact that the ending sucked.

• while i was certainly pissed off about it at the time, in retrospect the final scene of the sopranos was a complete master-stroke by chase.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Good Times tied everything up neatly - everybody was about to move out of the projects, J.J. got this incredible graphic arts gig, Thalma's husband got a contract with the Chicago Bears, and there were a few other developments that don't come to mind at the moment.

Wilona and Florida relocated to the same block unintentionally.

I think Michael goes to Law School.

Dawson's Creek (the-wife-made-me-watch-it,-doe-R)

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Dawson's Creek (the-wife-made-me-watch-it,-doe-R)

Quoted for posterior.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    Newhart

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Battlestar Galactica, the newer series. IMO one of the most slept on shows during it's airing

Complete co-sign. It probably scared off non-sci-fi geeks but I thought it was a remarkably rich show and easily one of the best things on television of the last 10 years. I'd put it up there with "The Shield" at the very least.

And yeah, I thought they handled the finale pretty well; I don't know if I needed the "modern day coda" but it wasn't sucky.

I thought "Cheers" had a decent series finale; the problem there was that the show was past its prime. The "Diane leaves" season ending was 100x more bittersweet but it was also at the height of the show's popularity.

With The Sopranos, I just like how completely divided people are over it. That, to me, says a lot about the power of it and I didn't even personally like it. But I like its divisiveness!

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts
    Battlestar Galactica was not slept on.

• Mary Tyler Moore Show finale (u sound old-R).

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    how epic will the curb and simpsons finales be?

city of men had a good finale

• Newhart

loved that one.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    how epic will...... simpsons finales be?

Me being the Simpsons Nut that I am I don't even want to think about this. The world would be over as I know it.

just thinking about it.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

Not technically a finale, but how did I miss this epic last episode of "Webster"?

150. "Webtrek" (150)
    Webster's video game transports him as the captain of the Enterprise from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    Jimster:

I just remember the Magnum P.I. finale being bananas...Is Higgins Robin Masters, Is Robin Masters God, shit like that. I'm not sure how well it's held up, maybe I'll rent it.

Big Chan:

I've cosigned on your Prison(er) Love before. Best show ever...although I will admit to forcing it a little when I claim that even the ending is great. I can only imagine how much heat they caught for that shit.

Newhart was a seriously next_level ending. Never seen the Sopranos. UK The Office made me cry.

Soulstrut rules.

• UK Office and Extras finales were both great. A reason Ricky Gervais is so great is that he knows WHEN to end a series without dragging it out.

• Also, the Fresh Prince finale, although campy, teared me up.

• PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
    Little House on the Prairie: they blew up the town!

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    Newhart
    newhart ending is one of the goats.