(Good) Obscure Hip-Hop joints

nrichnrich 932 Posts
edited January 2019 in Record Collecting
I always like finding records that kind of fell off from the get go and get 'discovered' later. This EP is definately what I'm talking about.Early 90's gangsta rap from the west coast, great sound and production. Straight forward, but has 'that sound'. I always keep coming back to this record and it keeps on delivering...bananers.

share some shit biatches

TAGGED:

Comments

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Did someone say PO-PO

• I always like finding records that kind of fell off from the get go and get 'discovered' later. This EP is definately what I'm talking about.

Early 90's gangsta rap from the west coast, great sound and production. Straight forward, but has 'that sound'. I always keep coming back to this record and it keeps on delivering...bananers.

share some shit biatches

Did someone say Cameron Paul?

No, but seriously I haven't heard that one...who did the beats on that?
    Any connection to C-Funk, Captian Krunch or Rated X besides the label?

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    Picked up a record tonight by Rapmasters and DJ 2 on Beautiful Sounds with a real gruff sounding A side, "Backstabbers." B side, "Serve You Tough" sounds like a Run DMC bite, but is still quality. Someone has a copy for sale for 4 Euros if anyone is interested. Some dude has a Tripod page with it on his want list. That's the only internet mention of it I saw. Maybe it's real well known, I dunno. Shit is nice. Anyone got some information?

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Over the weekend I found the other BLVD. Mossee joint. FUCKING SICK! One side is them killing it over "Outstanding" by Gap Band and the flip is this face melting fast-rap "jawn" of them rapping over EWF's "Moment of Truth"!

UGGGGGGGGGGGggggggggggggggggggggggggg!

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

An LP I prop on here all the time is "Court's in Session" by Kaos (on Bad Boy Records, 1988; no Diddy). A couple of other "under" joints that I like are the 12" "Rhymes So Def" by Numarx (Studio Records, 1987) and "The Soloist" by Hip-Hop Society.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hmm....Speaking of Puffy but not Puffy related records I found this one joint "Nuygen & Black's Gotham City" produced by Young Lord who used to do production for Puffy. It's not bad they do some of that classic 98 gun clap steez over that Mack Rice "Lover and a Friend" loop.

I also coped a double of "Feel It" by Sadat X & Diamond. It was from some soundtrack called "one tough cop". Real dope, Diamond D chopped up Gabor Szabo's "Look of love..." and kills it.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

I also coped a double of "Feel It" by Sadat X & Diamond. It was from some soundtrack called "one tough cop". Real dope, Diamond D chopped up Gabor Szabo's "Look of love..." and kills it.

HOT SHIT!

A longtime favorite of mine.

HOT SHIT!

A longtime favorite of mine.

Yeah dude, any movie with Gina Gersherface, Sean Penn & a Baldwin brother just has to be bangin'.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hmm....Speaking of Puffy but not Puffy related records I found this one joint "Nuygen & Black's Gotham City" produced by Young Lord who used to do production for Puffy. It's not bad they do some of that classic 98 gun clap steez over that Mack Rice "Lover and a Friend" loop.

How about that "Shit is Real" produced by Buckwild that features Diamond, Lord Finesse, Sadat X, and Fat Joe, the one with the real lively bassline? Classic mid 90's steeze!!! Was this song ever on vinyl, or just mixtapes? I needs a copy baaaaaaaaaaad!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

How about that "Shit is Real" produced by Buckwild that features Diamond, Lord Finesse, Sadat X, and Fat Joe, the one with the real lively bassline? Classic mid 90's steeze!!! Was this song ever on vinyl, or just mixtapes? I needs a copy baaaaaaaaaaad!!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

hmm...doesn't ring a bell. Who's mixtapes? You got any audio?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

"The shit is real, act like you know..." (Hook)

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Homie, that narrows it done to like 727,4982,347,938,247 New York hip-hop tracks from the mid 90's.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    I always likeded that Real Live song that sampled Nas' "I leave 'em froze like heron in ya nose."

Herm

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Homie, that narrows it done to like 727,4982,347,938,247 New York hip-hop tracks from the mid 90's.

Hey DJM,

Leave me alone, maaaaaaane. One of my dudes in A-town played it for me from a mixtape once, and it was bananas. I couldn't begin to know where to find that song. Forgive me if I can't be more specific, I only heard it once.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

I always likeded that Real Live song that sampled Nas' "I leave 'em froze like heron in ya nose."

Herm

"Real Live Shit" the remix had like Raekwon. Actually K-Def was the dude who did cuts for LOTUG it wasn't DJ Lord Jazz at ALL! Dude did also some nice cuts for Da Youngsta's "Mad Props"

but yo

Shadez of Brooklyn "Change"! Is still my shit.

Yo DJ,

The joint I'm talking about is called "You Can't Front (Shit is Real)" by Diamond (produced by Buckwild) that features Finesse, Sadat, and Fat Joe (I think?).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Yo DJ,

The joint I'm talking about is called "You Can't Front (Shit is Real)" by Diamond (produced by Buckwild) that features Finesse, Sadat, and Fat Joe (I think?).

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

That was a single and it had a dope DJ premier remix. There was even a video...but I don't remember Sadat x being on it.

• I would like to recommend the Chief Groovy Loo & the Chosen Tribe lp entitled "got 'em running scared". It's from 1993 and on Wrap / Word Records and includes the track "I love New York".

Thanks to fellow Strutter JSPR for hipping me to this one...

Go get it!

I love NYC,

Dress

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Last year I was finding good obscure hip hop left and right, but things have dried up a little. The last really great thing I found was a 12" from 1989 by an MC named Ms. Nikki D from Detroit who I am 85% certain is not *the* Nikki D on Def Jam. The A-side "Work that Sucker" is a pretty basic use of "Hollywood Swinging" with a lot of scratching on top, but she tears the track up rhyme-wise. She just goes off about playing men for suckers with a fast, fierce and syllabically-advanced rhyme style for that time. If anyone has any more info on her or can confirm if she is *the* Nikki D or not I'd appreciate it.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Anyone know that P-King 12" that uses the Emotions' 'Blind Alley' sample that Kane used, called "Sleepaway Camp" on Warlock? That's a nice little rekkid. There's a line about 'I shit ice Creams' that I always thought was funny.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    I like this Greensboro(?) NC track by Livestock from about 3-5 years ago. It's about... what else...

PO-PO
    PO-PO
    PO-PO
    PO-PO
    PO-PO
    PO-PO

• noznoz 3,625 Posts

Yo DJ,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

That was a single and it had a dope DJ premier remix.

Why??? The original was incredible on its own. Premiere is dope and all, but Buckwild's first version was just soooooooo on-point. I doubt that Premiere topped it (I gotta admit that I was biased toward Buckwild back then). Some tracks should be left alone.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    "The joint I'm talking about is called "You Can't Front (Shit is Real)" by Diamond (produced by Buckwild) that features Finesse, Sadat, and Fat Joe (I think?)."

that joint was on the Diamond- "Fuck what ya heard" single"....just to straighten things out for you Stacks......

• matamaticmatamatic 488 Posts
    No dj premier remix either....I thing king most got it confused wit "shit is real" by Fat Joe( which did have a premo remix)...

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts

Dude shit is serious

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Herm

"Real Live Shit" the remix had like Raekwon.

I just listened to it last night!

Rae isn't credited but there is a dude who sounds like him... its really all about that Ghostface intro though

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    GOD BODY!!!!!

I like Real Live's whole album. It slipped through the cracks of time because the MC wasn't too "dynamic", but excellent production. I'd compare it to a sleeper like Hard 2 Obtain's album Ism And Blues production wise.

I like Stezo's "Bop Ya Head", shit gets me every time. Stezo version 1.1 if you will.

Peace
    T.N.

• This actually belongs in the "(Bad) Obscure Hip-Hop Joints" thread.

SO stupid, but the Cameo sound-alike kills me every time.

B-Ice-Cool - "Toothache"

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    they do some of that classic 98 gun clap steez over that Mack Rice "Lover and a Friend" loop.
    Mack Rice did "3 People in Love"... Eddie Bo did "Lover and a Friend"

Kool Joe & DJ Too Nice - Because I'm a Pro
    G Slim & Them - I State you Less
    Noel Rockwell - Beat You Down
    The Heartbeat Bros - We Can Do This