Genre Burnout???

2»

Comments

• I'm totally burnt on no-wave and Kwela.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Fusion, and to a lesser extent, Big Bands playing Soul-Jazz. I've been clearing out the collection and listening to stuff before I decide to get rid of it and there's just a lot of stuff that I listen to now and wonder why I bought it in the first place with those 2 genres.

YES and YES.

I don't really sympathize with the genre burnout at all. If you focus on the best of the genre, it shouldn't be an issue--it's only gonna be an issue if you go indiscriminately accquiring records from a given genre just to have them, because you're inevitably gonna end up with a large number of the weaker and more derivative exemplars of that genre. Getting burnt out on rap I find especially baffling, although I suppose if I spent my days listening to Sha-Na-Na style tribute groups to the early nineties like Little Brother and PUTS, then I would hate rap by now, too.

Hey Faux,

I disagree with your above statement. It's not a matter of crap records, I think it's more of overload. I've been listening to bop since I was 4 or 5 years old. Humans tend toward habituation when a stimulus does not change a great deal or persists for some time (e.g., like NYers sleeping through gunshots in BK). Bop is pretty structured relative to other forms of jazz, making it predictable to a degree. I just don't get in the mood to hear it much because it seems like I heard it before. I fail to be surprised by it anymore. You know? Hell, even the artists themselves moved on from it, probably because they wanted more variety and/or less structure.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    I don't necessarily call it burn out but I definitely go through phases. Can't say I'm real big on organ based funk right now but in a few months I might go back to it. Gotta mix it up like anything else.

• Fusion, and to a lesser extent, Big Bands playing Soul-Jazz. I've been clearing out the collection and listening to stuff before I decide to get rid of it and there's just a lot of stuff that I listen to now and wonder why I bought it in the first place with those 2 genres.

YES and YES.

I don't really sympathize with the genre burnout at all. If you focus on the best of the genre, it shouldn't be an issue--it's only gonna be an issue if you go indiscriminately accquiring records from a given genre just to have them, because you're inevitably gonna end up with a large number of the weaker and more derivative exemplars of that genre. Getting burnt out on rap I find especially baffling, although I suppose if I spent my days listening to Sha-Na-Na style tribute groups to the early nineties like Little Brother and PUTS, then I would hate rap by now, too.

Hey Faux,

I disagree with your above statement. It's not a matter of crap records, I think it's more of overload. I've been listening to bop since I was 4 or 5 years old. Humans tend toward habituation when a stimulus does not change a great deal or persists for some time (e.g., like NYers sleeping through gunshots in BK). Bop is pretty structured relative to other forms of jazz, making it predictable to a degree. I just don't get in the mood to hear it much because it seems like I heard it before. I fail to be surprised by it anymore. You know? Hell, even the artists themselves moved on from it, probably because they wanted more variety and/or less structure.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey man,

I've been listening to bop since I was in Jr High School, and not only have I failed to tire of it (well, that which is truly interesting) but I could never memorize all of the notes played on all of those great records. It seems to me like you no longer like the music itself, not like you're tired of it... there's really endless ways to get into jazz records (the non-funky variety, that is).

My 2...

• INDIE BURNED MY ASS

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Fusion, and to a lesser extent, Big Bands playing Soul-Jazz. I've been clearing out the collection and listening to stuff before I decide to get rid of it and there's just a lot of stuff that I listen to now and wonder why I bought it in the first place with those 2 genres.

YES and YES.

Hey Faux,

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey man,

I've been listening to bop since I was in Jr High School, and not only have I failed to tire of it (well, that which is truly interesting) but I could never memorize all of the notes played on all of those great records. It seems to me like you no longer like the music itself, not like you're tired of it... there's really endless ways to get into jazz records (the non-funky variety, that is).

My 2...

Hey JP,

You seem to "imply" that I'm some funky jazz, sample-fodder monger or something. I started collecting music eons before I ever touched a sampler. I'm just saying that at the current time, I don't gravitate toward my bop records. I have the classics but I just don't want to hear them right now. Perhaps, as someone said in an earlier post, this is cyclical and I may revolve back around to fiending for bop. It's funny, I've started to play an LP, only to take it off to play something else. I think it's a case of overkill in playing so much of it for so many years. Like a junkie, it just takes more variety musically to move me as I've aged, and bop in my opinion, can get predictable.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak