Genre Burnout???

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited August 2005 in Music Talk
Hey Guys,

Do any of you ever experience what I call "genre burnout"? This is when you have listened to music in a particular genre so much (or so long, as in my case) that it doesn't move you anymore. I have sort of fallen into burnout with bop jazz. I don't know when was the last time I listened to a bop LP. I guess it's maybe about musical progression where it takes more musically to get you high, sort of like tolerance in drug addictions. What are you guy's thoughts on the matter?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Yeah, I know what you're saying, I wish I knew how to fix it though....

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey Holmes,

Are you burned out on a particular genre of music?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    kinda burnt out of jazz cos mostly all i've been playing at work

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Fusion, and to a lesser extent, Big Bands playing Soul-Jazz. I've been clearing out the collection and listening to stuff before I decide to get rid of it and there's just a lot of stuff that I listen to now and wonder why I bought it in the first place with those 2 genres.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Yo Brian,

My problem is that I grew up on bop, so I've heard so much of it that I'm not surprised anymore. Too predictable. I'm leaning now more toward music (and jazz in particular) that's more far "afield" than straight-ahead bop. That probably explains why guys like Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, and others did experimental things in other genres cause they tired of playing and being confined by bop.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Fusi Big Bands playing Soul-Jazz.

Send all to me, plaese.

• oh genre burnout is so real and this is why i always roust myself.

my listening is mixed by 10 different genres at all times.

its the only way to fly.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Hey Holmes,

Are you burned out on a particular genre of music?

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak
    Yeah, at the moment I'm kinda burned on hip hop for some reason.

• hip hop will burn you. so will burnt bop and 50's jazz. private issue will burn you a new asshole because it gets so burnt. the indie will gruel you. another burn sesh is classic rock.

deeper genres include...

classical and symphonic music
    soul music
    singer songwriter

shits deep for me.

listen to kenny rankin live bootleg 1973.

radical.

ap

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I wish that all the genres that I have to get into due to stagantion were more like the genres that got me into music in the first place. The shit I listen to now hardly sounds like music.

Sub-Question: Did the phonograph and recording lead to the eventual demise of music?

• Sub-Question: Did the phonograph and recording lead to the eventual demise of music?

Can you explain this further. Do you really think music is "dead"?

• Sun_FortuneSun_Fortune 1,374 Posts
    I mean, did recording music make it so that nobody was playing anymore? And everyone was able to hear everything instaneously so folk traditions dissapeared. People stopped playing and cultivating sounds but instead were recording them. Recording and records created this self-reflexive thing that distorted the original. Some Walter Benjamin shit.
    Music may not be dead, but if ring tones are supposed to be the next big thing, then its slipping away.

• art is a hydra, recording is good for music.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Been burnt out on hiphop for a while now. And also jazz unless its free or funky. Although I still listen to alot of jazz at work, its almost background ambient music to me at this point. Way burnt out on most indie rock at this point.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Sub-Question: Did the phonograph and recording lead to the eventual demise of music?

yes & no, before recordings, more people had & played musical instruments,
    family gatherings & parties would center around people
    playing & singing "standards", you would go to a "music store"
    to buy the sheet music, different music culture
    recordings made the musical world smaller,
    exposure of different musical genres & styles,
    so geographic & social barriers could be crossed thru recordings
    recordings did lead to the demise of old time family/party music culture

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    yes !
    during my former career, i went thru 2 long periods of total reggae burnout
    and now, thanks to a recent dale watson concert & my new used grip having a tape/cd deck,
    i'm officialee burned out on modern crap pop country radio

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Cosign on the hip hop. I hear so much crunk and shit everyday that I rarely listen to hip hop these days. Also soul music. I got burned on soul because my brother would use soul records for like 90% percent of his productions and it started to drive me up the wall. Now a days, I'm starting to get back into it but I'm more apt to listen to some 'left of center' soul, then your regular soul business.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts

listen to kenny rankin live bootleg 1973.

What is it called? Is that out on vinyl?

plaese send it to me when you're done.

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    i think anytime you listen to one genre primarily then you stand to loose interest / burn out on it.

i can't listen to any of the follwing these days:

late 80's - mid nineties indy rock / alternative
    nineties / turn of the milenium - IDM
    hip hop between 83 - 2000
    underground hip hop / backpacker / blazing downtempo
    60's psych
    hard bop / modal jazz / free jazz

• this is a really bizarre post... I don't understand, if you like music, how you could "burn out" on an entire genre.

Take jazz for instance - most folks on here don't really dig it because it's not 'funky' enough. But if you DO actually like it for what it is, how can you burn out? I can understand burning out on average/crap records... but the whole genre? Huge genre with literally thousands of different, experimental, interesting records. From the pedestrian to the way out. If you're burned out, maybe getting rid of the Groove Holmes and fucking eighteen Horace Silver records you don't need and Jimmy Smith and fucking anything on Verve will help. Stick to "The Phantom", "The Quest", "Musart", "Elevator To The Gallows", and shit that is different/unique. Funky jazz blows goat nuts too.

I think as I've refined the collection over the years I've gotten rid of the garbagio, the mediocre, the 'nothing special' type records in every genre, so that I won't one day say "I just can't listen to bossa anymore!"

That's like, when you should quit, or something

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    this is a really bizarre post... I don't understand, if you like music, how you could "burn out" on an entire genre.

Take jazz for instance - most folks on here don't really dig it because it's not 'funky' enough. But if you DO actually like it for what it is, how can you burn out? I can understand burning out on average/crap records... but the whole genre? Huge genre with literally thousands of different, experimental, interesting records. From the pedestrian to the way out. If you're burned out, maybe getting rid of the Groove Holmes and fucking eighteen Horace Silver records you don't need and Jimmy Smith and fucking anything on Verve will help. Stick to "The Phantom", "The Quest", "Musart", "Elevator To The Gallows", and shit that is different/unique. Funky jazz blows goat nuts too.

I think as I've refined the collection over the years I've gotten rid of the garbagio, the mediocre, the 'nothing special' type records in every genre, so that I won't one day say "I just can't listen to bossa anymore!"

Clearly the only reason anyone gets tired of a genre is because their records aren't as good as yours.

this is a really bizarre post... I don't understand, if you like music, how you could "burn out" on an entire genre.

Yo Paycheck,

Come on man, you know hard bop tends toward sameness. If you've listened to a genre for over 30 years, you mean to tell me burnout isn't possible. Just because a particular genre is "predictable" doesn't make it "crap music". It just means that you are more likely to grow tired of it than something that is more experimental and/or interesting. That's how I cope with burnout, I buy more "far out" stuff. That still doesn't make me want to trade my "Schizophrenia" LP. As much as I try to be agreeable with people on here, I find you to be one arrogant and condescending mofo. When you're all that, there's no need to sweat your own dick.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• jazz is a big enough genre for me never to be burned out on it

jazz is a big enough genre for me never to be burned out on it

In my case, I was discussing a sub-genre of jazz: Bop. Actually, I've been buying a lot of European stuff lately which really moves me.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• i don't get burned out on genres but i get burned out on specific songs. i tend to play songs i like so much that i can't stand them after a while. that's why i kind of hate listening to mixes that i make.

it really raises the question of what is listening ?

my father is the opposite he can listen to the same song for months on end. he is more musically inclined than me (he can play songs on the guitar or piano just by ear) and he tells me he is listening to the chords and the changes and the melody and harmony. these are things i don't listen for. i listen for things that move me on a more raw gut level than intellectually.

• Fusi Big Bands playing Soul-Jazz.

Send all to me, plaese.

AHEM.

• wihlsunwihlsun 63 Posts
    i don't get burned out on genres but i get burned out on specific songs. i tend to play songs i like so much that i can't stand them after a while. that's why i kind of hate listening to mixes that i make.

it really raises the question of what is listening ?

my father is the opposite he can listen to the same song for months on end. he is more musically inclined than me (he can play songs on the guitar or piano just by ear) and he tells me he is listening to the chords and the changes and the melody and harmony. these are things i don't listen for. i listen for things that move me on a more raw gut level than intellectually.

I can relate to this. Often it is the raw/gut level that attracts me to a song/genre, but the melody/harmony/progressions/theory is what deepens my appreciation for said song/genre.

• be bop is so burnt it burns my ass.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Fusion, and to a lesser extent, Big Bands playing Soul-Jazz. I've been clearing out the collection and listening to stuff before I decide to get rid of it and there's just a lot of stuff that I listen to now and wonder why I bought it in the first place with those 2 genres.

YES and YES.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

YES and YES.

I think it's less a question of the inevitability of burnout than it is of fusion and big-band soul-jazz both being pretty crap genres.

I don't really sympathize with the genre burnout at all. If you focus on the best of the genre, it shouldn't be an issue--it's only gonna be an issue if you go indiscriminately accquiring records from a given genre just to have them, because you're inevitably gonna end up with a large number of the weaker and more derivative exemplars of that genre. Getting burnt out on rap I find especially baffling, although I suppose if I spent my days listening to Sha-Na-Na style tribute groups to the early nineties like Little Brother and PUTS, then I would hate rap by now, too.

Frankly, I wish I had more time to familiarize myself with the music that I have, to really get inside a record the way I used to back when I was fourteen and only bought an album or so a week and so would listen to the same things over and over.