RIP GURU AKA KEITH ELAM

Comments

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Good looks abound in this thread, much respect to those who have dropped mixtapes, heart felt obits and knowledge.

I wonder if Guru knew he'd had such a profound effect on people.

I would have to think so. It's not a secret that Gang Starr was considered one of the greatest rap groups ever.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts

Fat Joe remembers GURU

Lots of artists on twitter have been shouting out Guru obviously - those of you who aren't on there might take interest in seeing these so i copied some for this thread from the premierblog twitter account.

I will be doing a tribute in my set this Friday - between me and my fam we'll have the entire Gangstarr Discography on rotation. Looking forward to tipping the hat and getting our drink and smoke on in memory of!

# THEREALSWIZZZ
    RIP TO GURU THE GREAT AKA REAL HIP HOP......... 4:19 AM Apr 21st via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 81 others

# FINALLEVEL
    I woke up today to hear that one of closets friends pasted away.. I'm paralyzed with sorrow. "Guru..Rest In Peace OG..I miss you." Ice T 4:57 PM Apr 20th via TweetDeck Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 29 others

# BusaBusss
    DEATH IS SO PERMANENT THAT IT MAKES U MISS THE ONES U LOVE SO MUCH QUICKER..R.I.P GURU! 8:19 AM Apr 21st via UberTwitter Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 66 others

# JustinNElamRuff
    He was your uncle as much as mine. Let's celebrate him in the best way we know. Guru lives on!!! about 22 hours ago via Echofon Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 22 others

# BlameOne
    Reading all the comments from everyone on @djpremierblog is giving me the chills. Such an impact this man made on all us hip hop heads. GURU 3:22 AM Apr 21st via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 9 others

# JeanGreasy
    Ahh man.. honored that I got the chance to work with Guru. He was a really kind and genuine dude....and one of my rap heros... RIP indeed. 4:01 AM Apr 21st via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 8 others

# djjazzyjeff215
    Had 2 take some twit time off...respect to my man Guru...Shout 2 my brotha Dj Premier...Hold ur head up...Guru was like Will 2 me so i know! 4:36 AM Apr 21st via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 39 others

# THEREALDJCLUE
    R.I.P. To Guru one of the koolest,humble artists I ever crossed paths with. A hiphop Legend. We gon miss you Bruh 6:07 PM Apr 20th via Twitter for BlackBerry? Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 57 others

# MC_Craig_G
    R.I.P. KEITH ELAM AKA GURU OF GANGSTARR!!!(HE WAS A PERSONAL FRIEND I HAD THE PLEASURE OF KNOWING SINCE 1987 WHEN HE 1ST CAME TO NYC) 5:55 PM Apr 20th via twidroid Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 16 others

# llcoolj
    Guru. I respect you and appreciate you. May you rest peacefully. My love goes out to your family. You helped shape our culture. Rock on my b 12:16 AM Apr 21st via Ping.fm Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 100+ others

# fatbellybella
    Guru. 11:53 PM Apr 20th via Tweetie Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 78 others

#Guru ripped over 162 DJ Premier produced tracks http://bit.ly/ajpnfg recognize 11:42 PM Apr 20th via web

# officialbdk
    Gone Untimely Remembered Ubiquitously. R.I.P. Guru!!! 11:39 PM Apr 20th via UberTwitter Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 34 others

# RZAWU
    RIP Guru - this is total sad news for hip-hop. You were a good friend and an inspiration. A true legend, you will be missed. 9:22 PM Apr 20th via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 100+ others

# MCHammer
    Gangstarr's Guru Gone Too Soon (RIP) : http://bit.ly/9fLuuD 8:13 PM Apr 20th via web from Midtown Center, New York Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 45 others

# DJTONYTOUCH
    Today is one of the saddest days for me.I lost a real friend/brother/teacher etc.He believed in me.supported.Took me on my first tour in 96 8:10 PM Apr 20th via UberTwitter Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 28 others

# rocmarci
    1st time i met Guru was at a preemo bday party and homey said im feeling that polo hat kid!!! 8:13 PM Apr 20th via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 5 others

# LilJon
    #RIPGURU "JUST TO GET A REP" GANGSTARR #CLASSIC MY SHIT!! 7:55 PM Apr 20th via Sidekick Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 31 others

# JoellOrtiz
    bout to be in the bentley bumping that Gangstarr! feeling very retro brooklyn right now. 6:46 PM Apr 20th via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 27 others

# pharoahemonch
    REST IN PEACE GURU... http://bit.ly/aymD27 6:20 PM Apr 20th via Facebook Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 38 others

# JOEYCRACKTS
    R.I.P GURU LOVE YOU MY BROTHER the World Will Miss You!!!! WE LOST A Great Man and a Big Part OF HIP HOP History!!! 6:17 PM Apr 20th via TweetGenius Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 67 others

# DresBlacksheep
    Guru and I didnt always see eye to eye... but we shared 2 things sincerely.. the mic.. and respect ... peace good brother 3:55 PM Apr 20th via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 19 others

# black_milk
    Damn...RIP GURU 3:38 PM Apr 20th via Echofon Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 27 others

# AlanTheChemist
    He used to always tell me "hey Alski, the old man still got it!" cant believe hes gone RIP the legend Keith E the Guru. Gangstarr 4eva! 3:10 PM Apr 20th via Echofon Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 44 others

# DJCK_BROOKLYN
    Rest in Peace Keith "GURU aka Gifted Universal Rhymes Unlimited" Elam & Dorothy Height. Prayers to their families. 3:10 PM Apr 20th via Twitter for BlackBerry? Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 11 others

# KHRYSIS
    Moment Of Truth alll day long 2:48 PM Apr 20th via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 17 others

# FABNEWYORK
    GURU & MC SOLAR, "Le Bien, La Mal" from his Jazzmatazz album, A video I directed in PARIS,1993. Gonna Miss U GURU. R.I.P!!! 2:42 PM Apr 20th via TweetDeck Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 10 others

# DEAMS
    Rest in peace my brother. You will live forever in my memories... #Guru http://tweetphoto.com/19198169 2:50 PM Apr 20th via UberTwitter Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 8 others

# mastaace
    Guru Rest in Peace. Good times good memories. Wish we had reconnected one last time. Farewell fam. 2:21 PM Apr 20th via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 33 others

# questlove
    in my 10 greatest voices in hip hop. Guru was easily top 5 imo. smooth. velvet. will be missed. RIP Guru @swiftfm http://bit.ly/d86nKK 2:19 PM Apr 20th via Swift.fm Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 100+ others

# djjazzyjeff215
    RT @djscratch: Guru didn't write that letter. He's been in a coma for over 2 months....word 2:15 PM Apr 20th via UberTwitter Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 100+ others

# QtipTheAbstract
    From Allah we come to Allah we return. R.I.P. Keith GURU. A great ma n, poet, and I'm proud to say friend... 23 yrs. Damn! 2:15 PM Apr 20th via UberTwitter Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 100+ others

# therealreks
    RIP GURU. Your A Giant Above the Clouds now! Gangstarr 4life! 2:03 PM Apr 20th via mobile web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 20 others

# eddiesancho
    Sad to hear about Guru, RIP my Brutha! 1:58 PM Apr 20th via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 1 other

# 9thWonderMusic
    RIP Keith Elam (GURU) and Dorothy Height........ 1:49 PM Apr 20th via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 59 others

# RealTalibKweli
    RIP GURU. LONG LIVE #GANGSTARR 1:18 PM Apr 20th via UberTwitter Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 100+ others

# AliShaheed
    R.I.P. Guru. Glory be to The Most High that gives life, to whom we shall return. 1:39 PM Apr 20th via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 41 others

# noreaga
    RT R.I.P. GURU of GANGSTAR (via @cmurphycomedy)#ripguru 1:40 PM Apr 20th via Tweetie Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 32 others

# djspinna
    Can't believe we lost GURU. Wow. RIP brother. Gangstar is one of the realest & purest hip hop groups of our lifetime and he won't forgotten! 1:35 PM Apr 20th via UberTwitter Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 41 others

# DJTONYTOUCH
    GURU 1:29 PM Apr 20th via UberTwitter Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 5 others

# Singaporekane
    GURU showed me love early in my career. Great memories with him. Prayers go out to the Elam family. LONG LIVE GANGSTARR 12:32 PM Apr 20th via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 4 others

# djjazzyjeff215
    Rest in Peace Guru...Pls send Prayers go out to his Family! 12:22 PM Apr 20th via UberTwitter Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 90 others

# StatikSelekt
    Rest In Peace to my friend GURU. Words can nott describe the impact he had on me, musically and personally...... 12:15 PM Apr 20th via TweetDeck Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 13 others

# Rosenbergradio
    in many ways Guru was already gone--but this is still so heartbreaking....bad day for hip hop 12:03 PM Apr 20th via web Retweeted by DJPremierBlog and 23 others

# LeFtOoO
    Guru??? Are u serious?? Daaaamn 11:37 AM Apr 20th via TweetDeck

• Matthew,

I just wanted to say that this mix has really held me down today. Thanks again.

Thanks, R*ss! Sorry I dragged my heels on it, but I just mailed you a package with some God lessons and dog lessons for the seed.

That was a great piece, thanks.

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts

damn, that brought tears to my eyes.

o, thanks for posting your interview excerpts too. very cool

awesome that guru was a speed skater!! when his brother was writing about that, it made me think of seeing guru in videos and being reminded of a pitbull...real tenacious with lots of stored energy he could unleash when needed

Just noticed that Harry didn't mention Gang Starr at all, let alone Premier. A bit weird.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I noticed that too. A glaring omission in what was otherwise a wonderful read. I think there's possibly two reasons: 1, Guru did in fact never resolve his feelings toward Premier, which we'll maybe never know. And 2, that it was strictly a piece about Guru. It's not like Solar was mentioned, either...

I noticed that too. A glaring omission in what was otherwise a wonderful read. I think there's possibly two reasons: 1, Guru did in fact never resolve his feelings toward Premier, which we'll maybe never know. And 2, that it was strictly a piece about Guru. It's not like Solar was mentioned, either...

True. I'm not trying to insinuate motive here, only that it's a glaring omission as you say. It's like eulogizing JMJ and neglecting to note he DJed for Run DMC. But whatever, a really nice eulogy otherwise; very heartfelt.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    It read more like a eulogy about a man's brother, not about a rapper a man was related to. I didn't find it strange at all.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I mean, one of the things that's been nagging me about this whole thing is the possibility that even if the letter itself wasn't penned by Guru, and maybe massaged a bit by Solar (yes PAUSE!), that the basic content of it wasn't far off from how he felt. Which would be tragic, but to me isn't out of the question.

I've had loved ones near death resolve their petty disagreements and beefs, and also seen people go to their grave with dark hearts and anger at the world, their relatives, their children... it's not outside the realm of possibility that Guru went to his maker with that bitter hatred in his heart still.

And that depresses the shit out of me.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I mean, one of the things that's been nagging me about this whole thing is the possibility that even if the letter itself wasn't penned by Guru, and maybe massaged a bit by Solar (yes PAUSE!), that the basic content of it wasn't far off from how he felt. Which would be tragic, but to me isn't out of the question.

I've had loved ones near death resolve their petty disagreements and beefs, and also seen people go to their grave with dark hearts and anger at the world, their relatives, their children... it's not outside the realm of possibility that Guru went to his maker with that bitter hatred in his heart still.

And that depresses the shit out of me.

I feel the same way.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    It read more like a eulogy about a man's brother....I didn't find it strange at all.

I was about to write the same thing. It's a very personal piece.

It read more like a eulogy about a man's brother....I didn't find it strange at all.

I don't doubt that but his life and career (which the piece is very much about) are inherently intertwined with Gang Starr. Again, I'm not suggesting some ulterior motive; it's just weird. You can't talk about Guru without thinking of Gang Starr anymore you can talk about John Lennon without thinking of the Beatles or Brian Wilson without the Beach Boys.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

I don't doubt that but his life and career (which the piece is very much about) are inherently intertwined with Gang Starr. Again, I'm not suggesting some ulterior motive; it's just weird. You can't talk about Guru without thinking of Gang Starr anymore you can talk about John Lennon without thinking of the Beatles or Brian Wilson without the Beach Boys.

Also, he does mention Jazzmatazz by name repeatedly. It is odd.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts

Due to his own interest in jazz, the Jazzmatazz years were likely just the part of his brother's musical career that he had the most personal connection to. He probably considers it the apex of Guru's career.

For us, but not necessarily for his family members.
    Jazzmatazz, I can only guess, made it in there because it came later, it was personal to Guru and was his own endeavour.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I'm still trying to deal with all of this, I haven't posted in an rip threads yet. I have talked my shit about both premier and guru, but when it comes down to it, I can't imagine rap without them, their combination.

There are very few people whose death had me worry about the way they left things.

Guru, I truly wish you find some peace in the after life.

Among the many lessons you have taught me, I am still trying to grasp this last one.

Sure. As I keep noting, I'm not trying to insinuate motive; it's not for me to know what was in Harry's heart or mind when he wrote this.

But I can say, as a reader, it's, as JP noted, "a glaring omission" and raises questions, whether intentional or not. It suggests, at the very least, that such an omission wasn't accidental and that whatever rift broke up the group was deeply personal rather than just professional.

OK.

I, also as a reader and not the only person to mention it, did not find it strange.
    I can't say it's a point I really want to talk to death, SoulStrut-style.

OK.

I, also as a reader and not the only person to mention it, did not find it strange.
    I can't say it's a point I really want to talk to death, SoulStrut-style.

She says as she <i>responds to the thread</i>.

yup - three whole posts on the subject - you got me!

Sure. As I keep noting, I'm not trying to insinuate motive; it's not for me to know what was in Harry's heart or mind when he wrote this.

But I can say, as a reader, it's, as JP noted, "a glaring omission" and raises questions, whether intentional or not. It suggests, at the very least, that such an omission wasn't accidental and that whatever rift broke up the group was deeply personal rather than just professional.

Not to drag this out [as I proceed to drag this out], but it is worth noting that the piece is called My brother, Gang Starr's Guru (not sure if Harry named the piece). He also begins by quoting Positivity.

Personally, I think seeing his brother work with Donald Byrd and Roy Ayers (on his own album) was the first time that he was thoroughly geeked out by one of his brother's musical projects. When he brags about his brother, that's probably the first thing he mentions.

• Lucious_FoxLucious_Fox 2,479 Posts

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    What's Solar's real name? Someone should run a comprehensive background check on him.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    According to that questionable report staxwax posted in the other thread, his name is John Mo?Sher.

What's Solar's real name? Someone should run a comprehensive background check on him.

The guy's not even on Wikipedia. How does someone work with Guru for seven years and not have a Wikipedia entry?

• Gang Starr got me into Jazz. Thank You Guru RIP.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts

The guy's not even on Wikipedia. How does someone work with Guru for seven years and not have a Wikipedia entry?

You have to google "The Gay Rapper".

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts
    Just noticed that Harry didn't mention Gang Starr at all, let alone Premier. A bit weird.

the title of the piece is "My brother, Gang Starr?s Guru"