new Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings album

milliondollarsmilliondollars 568 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
not much talking about this album.i think this is a bit better that the last one.anyone enjoying this?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    dont have it, but what little i heard sounds good to me, like a logical progression from the last few albums

incidentally, i understand this is the first Sharon/Dap-Kings album to make the charts. reportedly it is Top 15 in Billboard's album charts as we speak.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I've been playing "The Game Gets Old" and "Better Things To Do" the most.

• incidentally, i understand this is the first Sharon/Dap-Kings album to make the charts. reportedly it is Top 15 in Billboard's album charts as we speak.

yes, i was wondering when this is going to happen. Sharon Jones is Daptones cash cow...

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I've been playing "The Game Gets Old".

This is such a good start to the album, I would put it up there among the best stuff they've ever done. Am really enjoying the way their sound is moving on through each album.

• this has nothing to do with this album but...I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE BUDOS BAND III album

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I really like the new SJDK LP.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Great record, my favorite by them so far, and I think they moved 25k the first week! Go Daptone!

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Their most realized album, by far. If you compare this with their first album, it's night and day. I'm very impressed by it, especially Roth's arrangements.

Their most realized album, by far. If you compare this with their first album, it's night and day. I'm very impressed by it, especially Roth's arrangements.

That's what I've always liked about Sharon & the Kings, that they could expand on their sound without changing it. They could have just kept making Dap Dippin', Parts 2,3,4 and on down the line, making the same predictable revivalist sounds, but they had a better sense of style than that.

incidentally, i understand this is the first Sharon/Dap-Kings album to make the charts. reportedly it is Top 15 in Billboard's album charts as we speak.

yes, i was wondering when this is going to happen. Sharon Jones is Daptones cash cow...

I don't where she would fit in, radio-format wise...I don't think the black stations would be playing her next to Beyonce and Chris Brown. And I don't believe the rock stations would play her either, even though their target audience probably goes to her concerts. If she made it on the sheer merit of her sales and live shows, more power.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts

I don't where she would fit in, radio-format wise...I don't think the black stations would be playing her next to Beyonce and Chris Brown. And I don't believe the rock stations would play her either, even though their target audience probably goes to her concerts. If she made it on the sheer merit of her sales and live shows, more power.

Disagree about the rock stations' target audience going to her concerts. I think most of the people that go to her concerts aren't really listening to the radio at all.

A lot of people still have no idea who SJDK are.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Bought it from Hall Of Records at the Night Owl Record Show.

I think it is fantastic and better than the other 2 lps of hers I own.

I am surprised she is getting zero writer credits.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I definitely did a double take when I saw a big promo for this album in Borders. It's nice to see their music being pushed into the public eye.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Its actually not that difficult to crack the Billboard top 40 albums these days, lots of bigger indie releases do. The threshold for sales is much lower, and the type of artist that has an audience that both wants a full album and is willing to pay for it is a lil different nowadays.

I don't wanna take credit away from them though, this has been snowballing for a long time and they've worked hard for it. They have appeared on national TV shows and been on a movie soundtrack or 2 as well, right? A couple years ago a coworker who wouldn't know anything about "underground" music had seen them on teevee and bought some tracks off itunes.

Bought it from Hall Of Records at the Night Owl Record Show.

I think it is fantastic and better than the other 2 lps of hers I own.

I am surprised she is getting zero writer credits.

I am surprised at this as well though I suppose it's not terribly surprising if compared to the songwriter/singer systems in R&B of yore. That said, I would have thought she'd be writing more of her own songs though.

Its actually not that difficult to crack the Billboard top 40 albums these days, lots of bigger indie releases do. The threshold for sales is much lower, and the type of artist that has an audience that both wants a full album and is willing to pay for it is a lil different nowadays.

I don't wanna take credit away from them though, this has been snowballing for a long time and they've worked hard for it. They have appeared on national TV shows and been on a movie soundtrack or 2 as well, right? A couple years ago a coworker who wouldn't know anything about "underground" music had seen them on teevee and bought some tracks off itunes.

Yeah - the group is a great example of how patience and perseverance pays off because, as you put it, their success has been a snowball. NPR, for example, hyped the hell out of the new album on their website and that's part of their core demographic, for certain.

Disagree about the rock stations' target audience going to her concerts. I think most of the people that go to her concerts aren't really listening to the radio at all.

A lot of people still have no idea who SJDK are.

You're right, SJDK's fans probably aren't mainstream radio types. But since their shows are so crowded, there would HAVE to be a few Chads and Beckies in the mix.

• MeepMeep 320 Posts

This. I put it on at work today and I had some co-workers sing along to 'better things to do' already. Their sound really matured and the writing is just incredible. Seeing them onstage for the first time last weekend didn't hurt either - one of the best shows I've seen in a loooong while.

• ennuiennui 111 Posts
    As discussed in the NYT Magazine article around the release of 100 days, Roth writes all of the music and lyrics but pays Sharon a significant percentage for "realizing" the songs. An unprecedented arrangement as far as I know, and one that was made with an eye toward avoiding the mistakes of the industry's past.

I really like the album, but I still think Naturally is their best work. My cut on the new one is "Mama don't like my man." It's great to hear them do something so spare on such a "produced" album.

• for those that bought the vinyl, go ahead and use your digital download coupon because it has a song that's not on the vinyl or CD. iTunes also has an exclusive bonus track.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    for those that bought the vinyl, go ahead and use your digital download coupon because it has a song that's not on the vinyl or CD. iTunes also has an exclusive bonus track.
    for real? i didn't even notice

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    I don't have much to add other than what's been said, but I will say this is the first new album I've picked up in a while (30th bday gift this past weekend), and I am thoroughly enjoying it. I've only ever heard Naturally in the past, and I am definitely liking this new one more. The styles of the songs are a little more diverse, and the album has a little more emotion to it. I'm getting more and more into the Daptone stuff, I especially dig the Antibalas stuff and that first Budos Band EP has gotten some rotations as well.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Production is gorgeous.

Songwriting, mature.

Dap-kings at there most tasteful.

Sharon brilliant as always.

Backing vocals, strongest of any album.

My complaint:

The last 2 albums just aren't as fun as "Dap dippin' with SJ and the DKs"

No offense guys.

The reason why I got into the band in the first place was..

I gotta thing on my mind.
    The Dap dip.
    Pick it up, lay it in the cut.

I like the album, and I love the band, but I can't play any of this for the B-boys.

- diego

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    My complaint:

No offense guys.

The Dap dip.

I like the album, and I love the band, but I can't play any of this for the B-boys.

You can't blame them for trying to reach the remaining 99.9999999% of the population.

My complaint:

No offense guys.

The Dap dip.

You can't blame them for trying to reach the remaining 99.9999999% of the population.

1. I'm wondering what the b-boys have to do with it, myself.

2. Their sound has progressed, but it's a logical progression. It's not like Joss Stone going from being Dusty Springfield to Ashlee Simpson to jumping on the neo-soul bandwagon within three albums.

I can't play any of this for the B-boys.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

It's all good make that money baby. I'm just sayin' hey come on fellas what about the dancefloor?

spidey

True. I always thought "What's Going On" lacked some solid b-boy bangers.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    True. I always thought "What's Going On" lacked some solid b-boy bangers.

So did Marvin - why do you think he made "T plays it cool"?

• for those that bought the vinyl, go ahead and use your digital download coupon because it has a song that's not on the vinyl or CD. iTunes also has an exclusive bonus track.

oh that sounds cool! i have got to download this and check but i guess it's the same song that is on the bonus 45 that came with the album...
    (very nice cut with instrumental on the b-side)