how big is normal? rr

2»

Comments

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I thinned the herd when I got near 5000 and it felt good. Got rid of almost 1000.

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Get it on 45

I think you'll agree that on most one-tracker LPs, the one track is not representative of the overall sound, and definitely not in synch with what was probably intended as a hit-single... but that's for another thread.

• BlastkidBlastkid 240 Posts
    Jules Deelder, legendary Dutch poet and jazz collector (he has 10K+ jazz records) once said: 'People ask me what I do with 10.000 records. I always ask them how they survive with only 100 cd's, that seems like a way bigger problem to me...'

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I've got 28 crates at ~ 75 a crate = 2100

I've tried to not let it grow too much recently, but somehow the growth always excedes the pruning, though only by a little.
    It's true, the collection must come second after real world moves.
    This year taxes came up and, boom, records sacrificed at the alter of social accountabillity.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    This year taxes came up and, boom, records sacrificed at the alter of social accountabillity.

• ArksArks 133 Posts
    Only got about a thousand in my personal collection, but I do not keep hot garbage. Not nearly settled enough yet to reasonably keep more on a permanent basis.

I'm honestly often tempted to sell it all to make said real world moves and buy a new car, pay off all my student loans, but just can't ever bring myself to do it.

I don't think one should ever put "collecting" ahead of the responsibilities or obligations of living a grown life. I've known dudes who have flaked on child support or taxes to buy a copy of skull snaps. Dudes who stretched their credit to the limits chasing vinyl.

Don't unnecessarily sell. Don't unnecessarily hoard. Balance in all things.

I definitely subscribe to this theory. I even took a couple years off records just to get my real world on. Now im sitting in an apartment that im paying off, with a studio setup im reasonably happy with, and approx 3000 records, of which at least 1000 of I would never consider parting with.

As far as unecessary selling, I also agree you need to be cautious of this. In the past when I've gotten rid of records (I think in 10+ years of collecting I've probably gotten rid of about 500 or so from my personal collection, not counting records that were only bought with the intention of selling/trading), I sold a chunk of my collection and spent the money on.. i cant even remember. Lesson learned, I won't be doing that again. If I were to do another purge, I would definitely want a targeted goal for what I would do with the money ie studio equipment/pay off the student loan as mentioned above.

4YearGraduate, I seem to remember you advocating buying records prior to putting food on your plate? And are you still sitting on 24 crates and most of your breaks on dynaflex? Surely you must have a lot more by now? I get that someone in your position might not want the number out there on a messageboard, no pressure to reveal intended. Just pointing out that it's interesting how priorities shift as we grow older. MIne certainly have, no way I'm buying records before food these days.