how big is normal? rr

AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
i know there have been threads like this before but not for some time. and honoring the notion that we are ever changing beings how about now??? what is a comfortable amount of records? i know i have too many but i wanna know what normal is in someone elses eyes. also sub question: if you have downsized or alternatively if you have increased your buying what's the first to go/what has become more worthy of holding and filing?feel free to upload pictures dude (and cosmo i know you're not getting rid of jack shit for life buddy )

Comments

• eight-thousand and eight.

• AKallDayAKallDay 830 Posts
    ^ oh come on now that sounds like madness

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Shouldn't available storage space be considered when calculating?

• It should always be quality over quantity. 10,000 rawkus deadstock is a really bad look. Likewise having mad cratez yo and a shit house/apartmnt or living with your parents. Real moves first, records absolutely last.

Mortgage > Latin eBay raerz

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    1500 LPs
    3000 45s
    500 12"s

hiphop & disco dudes, switch allowances for 45s with 12s.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Real moves first, records absolutely last.

But what of us miserable souls for whom the difference is minimal?

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Only got about a thousand in my personal collection, but I do not keep hot garbage. Not nearly settled enough yet to reasonably keep more on a permanent basis.

I'm honestly often tempted to sell it all to make said real world moves and buy a new car, pay off all my student loans, but just can't ever bring myself to do it.

• Do it.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Do it.

I bet you'd even have some $$ left over (knowing the heat you have in that expedit)!

45s : 500

LPs : 1500

12s : 300

I've been carefully pruning lately and have settled at these numbers from about double that in all departments as of a year ago. The twelves I just keep around for deejaying purposes, and I don't really consider them part of my collection proper.

So damn tempted. Lemme sleep on it. If i'm gonna do it it's all or nothing.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    Its hard to go through and trim your collection. Im at the point where im valuing the space and money i would get from letting some go over the thought that one day i might pull that record out and listen to it again.
    I have roughly 3000 and could probably loose a good 500 or so.

• markus71markus71 937 Posts
    I have about 3500 lp's at the moment and when I think about it, it's insane.
    Like last week I was at a little outdoor recordsale, I find a Funk Inc - Hangin Out and a couple of other records of the same calibre. They were cheap and they are good records so I picked them up but after a couple of spins or even needle drops they dissapear into the collection. Sometimes I think I'm just picking up stuff so I can sell it eventually.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    nothing is normal

• Only got about a thousand in my personal collection, but I do not keep hot garbage. Not nearly settled enough yet to reasonably keep more on a permanent basis.

I'm honestly often tempted to sell it all to make said real world moves and buy a new car, pay off all my student loans, but just can't ever bring myself to do it.

B - you know me so you probably know what i mean..

I don't think one should ever put "collecting" ahead of the responsibilities or obligations of living a grown life. I've known dudes who have flaked on child support or taxes to buy a copy of skull snaps. Dudes who stretched their credit to the limits chasing vinyl.

Collecting can be rewarding but it should be just that, a reward. Raers should not be the yardstick for success in life, but rather the reward, if that makes sense.

Don't unnecessarily sell. Don't unnecessarily hoard. Balance in all things.

No for sure. I mean on the whole I'm making way more off records than I'm spending (just did my taxes and my 09 sales numbers turned out just fine), and I'm not by any means trading food for funk, and by this summer (AFTER India) I'll be working full-time, so I could call it even and just keep things as they are, save up some money over a year, eventually buy a car, move slowly, etc.

But if I'm gonna do a purge, I'm purging it all and doing this:

http://www.flyvolvo.com/index.htm

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I just did a huge edit in preparation for the San Diego Record show. I was going to split a table with someone to just move some duplicates and stuff I don't listen to any more, but I got really into the process. In the past month, I've listened to or needle dropped about 1500 lps. I'm keeping about 800 and set aside about 700 for sale and priced them to sell. I'd like to hover at about 1,000. I've been reluctant to buy lately because I felt I had too many. I've always believed that a person has to make room in their life for new things to come in. Some cash helps that scenario too. I'm leaving the 45s for another day. Anyone in the so-cal area looking to buy should hit up the SD record show this Saturday.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    We downsized in preparation for baby, and it came down to "Do we need three copies of this?", "Can we get money for this?", "Will I ever play this again?". We still have too many records.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    anything over 10k and u are a freakin NUTCASE!!!

• CosmophonicCosmophonic 1,172 Posts
    Just did a rework of my shelf-space and cumulated quite a bit that is UP FOR CRITICAL REVIEW as in, they're probably going to go.

I do this every now and then and have got it down to about 500 LPs. Honestly, that is a ridiculous amount of good music, and I have no desire to expand beyond that.

As far as "normal" goes, I'd say about 10GBs of mp3s and around 50 CDs, maybe 2-3 vinyls[/b] for decoration.

Oh, and referring to the sub-question:

First thing to go is shit records with a decent break. Anything strictly sample-related is constantly in the line of fire.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I want to be able to listen to at least one side of the record the whole way through and not get annoyed. That's pretty hard to do. One and two tracker LPs are out the door.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    im trying to keep unique stuff. if it's in the least bit generic or par-for-the-course, it's a wrap.

i think anything over 1000 is overkill, and a right-to-voicemail type situation if you're gonna ask me to help you move.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Couple thousand sounds reasonable. No matter what format you prefer.

But there should be a logic to it. It's your collection. Everything in it should be there for a reason. Too many people have too many records just because.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Too many people have too many records just because.

Seriously

I purge constantly

One and two tracker LPs are out the door.

But when that one track is sooooo good...

Get it on 45

COLLECTRON ON BLAST

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

That's just my personal cut off point. As someone who rarely DJs any more, I'll just burn the one song to MP3 and sell the LP. Square footage in San Diego is too valuable for one trackers. That just means my house is too small. What I want from records is to be able to put it on and leave it on for 20-30 minutes and really get into it.

b/w

Get it on 45