Vocoders

eregulareregular 4 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
I know this is kind of an "out in left feild" question, but i was wondering if any musicians (electronic or whatever..) could recomend a good vocoder. I really want to add some deep electronic robotic voices to some of my music. I love synths but know nothing of vocoders. my price range is around 100 bones.....any recomendation would make my day. bless.

Comments

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    my price range is around 100 bones.....any recomendation would make my day. bless.

plug-ins.

otherwise the micro-korg has a decent one...

• CaMKIIaCaMKIIa 269 Posts
    unless you want to settle for low end roland stuff, you won't find a vocoder for that price. i'm sure the boss multi-fx have a "vocoder" option, but it probably won't sound very good.

that being said, software is a good option, look around.

or the nord micromodular makes an excellent vocoder (the best you can find right now under 1000). you should look into that, but be prepared to spend about 200-300. also, it has quite a learning curve if you don't know how to program a modular synth.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    Roland SVC-350 was the one all the mad electro producers used back in the 80s...

but... it's WAYYY outta your price range (i remember when these were goin' for $300 a few years back... inflation!!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roland-Vocoder-SVC-350-SVC350-Good-condition-NICE-L-K_W0QQitemZ7337490508QQcategoryZ64386QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

peace.

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    My friend uses the Korg MS2000- sounds pretty decent.

I rocked these vocoder tracks all last week on Dailysonic:

episode70
    "Me and my Man" (Whitey vs. Chromeo Fly White Mix
    by Chromeo
    She's In Control
    Vice Records

"Boogie Down (Bronx)"
    by Man Parrish
    Boogie Down 12"
    Rams Horn Records

episode71
    "I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone"
    by Giorgio Moroder
    From Here To Eternity
    Hip-O-Select

"My Radio"
    by Solvent
    Apples
    Ghostly International

episode72
    "Robocop"
    by Sleeze Boyz
    Lowrider Soundtrack Vol.9
    Thump Records

"In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country"
    by Board of Canada
    In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country (Single
    Warp Records

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    If you're looking into plug-ins, you can't get much better than this for the price (FREE!)

MDA-VST effects

This plug-in pack contains a free VST Vocoder plug-in, switchable between 8 and 16 bands.

Other software plug ins I've tried (Prosoniq Orange Vocoder, the vocoder rack in Reason, AKAI's VST Vocoder) are a bit too harsh/digital sounding IMO.

On the hardware end of the spectrum, the vocoder built in to the Nord MicroModular is one of the best I've heard. You can get yer Roger/Zapp on with this thing.

SG

I know this is kind of an "out in left feild" question, but i was wondering if any musicians (electronic or whatever..) could recomend a good vocoder. I really want to add some deep electronic robotic voices to some of my music. I love synths but know nothing of vocoders. my price range is around 100 bones.....any recomendation would make my day. bless.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    isnt it pretty strange to use a vst vocoder? i have yet to find one that can function like a real one. all the ones i have tested have some built in synth noises you have to use instead of your own.

real vocoders require two inputs, one source signal from a synth and something to process, preferably your voice. anyone got a proper plugin that can do this? i probably havent looked hard enough.

• plug-ins or if you want some vintage DIY steez:

http://www.paia.com/vocoder.htm

This is the assemble yourself vocoder that Dave Storrs used on a lot of the electrobeat label releases from way back.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    The MDA plug-in allows you to use a synth of your choice as a source signal. The other ones also allow this...plus, they have built-in synth sounds that you can use as well.

SG

isnt it pretty strange to use a vst vocoder? i have yet to find one that can function like a real one. all the ones i have tested have some built in synth noises you have to use instead of your own.

real vocoders require two inputs, one source signal from a synth and something to process, preferably your voice. anyone got a proper plugin that can do this? i probably havent looked hard enough.

• bobbydeebobbydee 849 Posts
    i have the microkorg and it, how you say?- sucks the monkey balls.

it only has 8 bands so if you want your vocals to be intelligible, forget about it. The MS has 16 bands and is a little better, but for your money i would recomend picking up a 2nd hand warp factory on the bay. I got one for 125 USD including shipping to Auz, so see how you go. It's done me really well with a little practice http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/Data/Electrix/Warp_Factory-01.html

• spcspc 534 Posts
    Get these vocoders, but I think you have to learn a magic spell to make thousands of your 100 bucks

• spcspc 534 Posts
    I can also recommend the nord micromodular. You get very much out of this small dsp box: drums, quality synth sounds, effects including a very very nice vocoder, ...