Unexpected Ska

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited April 2010 in Strut Central
Pulled this from a Dollar Bin expecting typical teen idol stuff.....man was I surprised!!

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Blues Busters were the backing band, which is why the music at least is pretty authentic.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Steve Alaimo was marketed as a teen idol, but he actually cut some credible rock & roll and white soul during the course of his career. Yes, he did his share of teen pop as well, but his output was surprisingly varied, before he became a house producer at TK Records.

I'm partial to "Home By Eleven" (Dade - hard rockabilly), "Nobody's Fool" (Entrance - Dan Penn song, in a soul vein) and "So Much Love" (ABC-Paramount, soul again).

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    This is a great thread. You learn something new every day... I only knew dude as being the guy who was behind Alston. Never knew of this previous phase in his career. Thanks Rich / Pickwick for your guys constant source of knowledge... old heads!

Thanks, Cos. I started to post Youtube links of his recordings, but that site was messing up something terrible, today. Everytime you'd click on a link, it would shut off the entire Internet...

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    those are pretty awesome clips, I'm digging it, I agree it sounds nothing like you'd expect from the cover.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    one of the popsike entries says that this is from '65. corroboration?

wouldn't that be really early for ska to be making an appearance on these northern shores, particularly with a mainstream-attempting dude (if i'm understanding his marketing as hit/star/teen idol correctly).

i always thought of ska as not hitting american soil until at least '67/'68, but am i totally off on that?

also, really enjoy those clips. good stuff.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

i always thought of ska as not hitting american soil until at least '67/'68, but am i totally off on that?

yeah, honestly, you are pretty off. Ska had a bit of a run as a dance craze in
    the early 60's in the US, partly as an overflow from the appeal in the UK, mainly
    through James Bond and Dr. No and such, and partly through general US interest in
    "island rhythms" and dances at the time, from exotica to calypso nightclubs, etc.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    This is from 1964 on Vee-Jay:

And most importantly, Millie Small had a hit - a fluke American[/b] hit - in 1964 with "My Boy Lollipop."

And the cover of the album looked like this:

There was obviously a minor movement to get ska going in the States in '64, judging by this album cover. Ray Barretto even recorded "Ska Cha" that year for Tico. But, America wasn't quite ready for the ska sound just yet.

But, America wasn't quite ready for the ska sound just yet.

except for the fact that it was popular

But, America wasn't quite ready for the ska sound just yet.

except for the fact that it was popular

yeah? for how long, one minute and 53 seconds (or however long "my boy lollipop" was?)

they tried to make a thing out of it in the US, but then again they tried to make a thing out of the Lambada too. there were some cash-ins, but neither one lasted very long, and by '65 the ska thing was pretty much dropped (temporarily), as far as America went.

hell, i'd say the '80s and '90s US ska waves were more permanent than what went down in '64

I guess we just have different ideas of what being successful means. The Lambada was very successful, IMO.

We're talking about the mid-60's, where a new style of music or dance was big every 6 months.

Ska was a dance-craze.

Saying it didn't go over is like saying "America wasn't ready for the Jerk yet"

Nowhere near as big as the Twist, but more successful than the Frug, that was Ska.

It had a hit song, was in movies, and teen idol types were recording versions of it.

I guess we just have different ideas of what being successful means.

I'll accept that.

The Lambada was big, all right, but it was already a trivia question after maybe six months.

We're talking about the mid-60's, where a new style of music or dance was big every 6 months.

Ska was a dance-craze.

Saying it didn't go over is like saying "America wasn't ready for the Jerk yet"

Nowhere near as big as the Twist, but more successful than the Frug, that was Ska.

It had a hit song, was in movies, and teen idol types were recording versions of it.

Well, I did say it was a minor[/b] trend from the gitgo, didn't I?

It had its' day. Notice I didn't say "days." Yeah, I know Annette Funicello had a song called "Jamaica Ska." But saying the '64 incarnation was an out-and-out success just seems a little too generous, to me.

1964 ska may have had its' golden moment in the States. But basically "the Ska" was to the Twist what a regional one-hit wonder is to the Beatles.

The first wave of ska to hit the US ("My Boy Lollipop") was very much just a spark of popularity & marketed/seen more as a novelty dance fad than a serious music genre. I would say it was popular, but not for very long. Unlike in Jamaica & the UK where the whole ska/bluebeat thing was viewed/marketed just a bit more seriously.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Can I pull out my James Jacket and start up the Vespa again yet?

lol, reminds me I need to get new steering head bearings in my Vespa, probably time for new tires too.

I can't believe I spent a dollar and brought this horrid
    terd home, just to back up my argument from 2 weeks ago.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

not sure about "unexpected"..as this was a big hit, but a great one none the less.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    lol, reminds me I need to get new steering head bearings in my Vespa, probably time for new tires too.

Hit me up for worldwide mailorder. We've got pretty much every part that's currently available, and a lot of N.O.S. stuff that's generally not available. The website represents about 20% of our actual inventory.

www.scooterwest.com

not sure about "unexpected"..as this was a big hit, but a great one none the less.

Bill Deal & the Rhondels were from Norfolk, VA. That "ska" beat actually came about when they adapted a polka beat to Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs'"May I" at a concert, just to be funny. This wound up being their first big hit. "I've Been Hurt" was the followup. Both were hits in 1969.

So Deal & co. were thinking "polka" when they recorded those two songs, not ska.

I don't even know if Deal & co. knew what ska was at the time, but the tunes sure did come out sounding that way.

I believed you, you don't have to prove it. I figured ska had some small measure of popularity in the States in '64. I just don't think it was MASSIVE, but it was definitely hovering around on the radar.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

Growing up in NY there were some pretty great teen music TV shows.

Lloyd Thaxton hosted one(Which may have been filmed in Ca.)

My favorite was a local NYC production The Clay Cole Show.

Clay Cole just came out with his book of memoirs! I'd like to see that...

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

yeah, honestly, you are pretty off. Ska had a bit of a run as a dance craze in
    the early 60's in the US, partly as an overflow from the appeal in the UK, mainly
    through James Bond and Dr. No and such, and partly through general US interest in
    "island rhythms" and dances at the time, from exotica to calypso nightclubs, etc.

this

well, the OG's agree w/ you:

http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20091011/ent/ent3.html

and don't forget the 64 world's fair in Queens with Jimmy Cliff and Prince Buster both performing at the Jamaican pavillian backed by Byron Lee... i am guessing that might have spurred Atlantic to record their Jamaica Ska LP...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    The early 60's were the time when jet travel became affordable to many people, and vacations to the Caribbean, Brazil and other tropical places became very fashionable. In addition, images of glamorous jet travel were everywhere in magazines, movies etc.

People were understandably entranced with the 'exotic' music they heard while having the time of their lives and often bought records in the airport on their way home. in fact, I've scored several NM Ska grails in classical collections this way - these were seldom played once back home.

Anyway, I think this contributed greatly to the spread of Ska, Calypso, and Bossa Nova to the U.S. around this time.

I forget the title, but there was a sixties-era ska compilation on Epic produced by Curtis Mayfield...

• hell, i'd say the '80s and '90s US ska waves were more permanent than what went down in '64

hell, i'd say the '80s and '90s US ska waves were more permanent than what went down in '64

What 80's US Ska wave? you mean UK Two-Tone stuff? It was popular to a certain
    degree with the Specials and English Beat, but hard to call mainstream.

That's why I didn't[/b] call it mainstream. Blues, rockabilly, garage and even ragtime aren't mainstream (anymore) either, but there's always been a subculture keeping those genres going. I'd put ska in there too as a fairly marginal genre that sustained.

Since 1980, people have related to it as music. The older stuff has been reissued. Ska has made a couple of comebacks. There have been newer bands coming up who were playing it. In other words, from 1980 to now, if you're in a room with a bunch of knowledgeable music freaks, if you mention "ska," people will know what the hell you are talking about.

Back in the sixties, though, it was all "hey, kids, Lloyd Thaxton is going to teach you about that kooky dance craze called 'the ska!'" And "gee, honey, our trip to Jamaica was delightful, let's buy this ska record as a memento that we will never listen to!" And then there was Millie Small with her ten minutes of fame. Yeah, I know ska was making inroads in the States in 1964. But where was this movement in '65? '66? '67? In the bargain bins with the Vaughn Meader records, that's where.

That's why I say American acceptance of ska in the sixties was premature and didn't really stick to the wall like it has since the eighties. Yes, it attracted minor attention, but it wasn't ***THE SOUND THAT DEFINED 1964*** like you make it out to be. If it were, then Millie Small and Prince Buster would have had two or three years worth of continuous American hits, and not just a track here and a cut there.

• hell, i'd say the '80s and '90s US ska waves were more permanent than what went down in '64

i dunno man... Madness "our house" being one of the videos run over and over again on the mtv in the '80s seems kinda mainstream but either way i couldn't care less about this gay ass argument.