Unexpected Ska

2»

Comments

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    The early 60's were the time when jet travel became affordable to many people, and vacations to the Caribbean, Brazil and other tropical places became very fashionable. In addition, images of glamorous jet travel were everywhere in magazines, movies etc.

People were understandably entranced with the 'exotic' music they heard while having the time of their lives and often bought records in the airport on their way home. in fact, I've scored several NM Ska grails in classical collections this way - these were seldom played once back home[/b].

Anyway, I think this contributed greatly to the spread of Ska, Calypso, and Bossa Nova to the U.S. around this time[/b].

These are somewhat opposing statements, no?

I think I've lost track of the discussion - are we saying the first appearance of ska in 60s US made as much of an impact as the 80s "revival"?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I think I've lost track of the discussion - are we saying the first appearance of ska in 60s US made as much of an impact as the 80s "revival"?

i insist it didnt, SOI sez it did

and no, im not losing a wink of sleep over it either, but just sayin (LOL)

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

i dunno man... Madness "our house" being one of the videos run over and over again on the mtv in the '80s seems kinda mainstream

I guess I don't consider "Our House" ska in any way shape or form, but I see your point.

I was around back then and definitely into the Specials and stuff, the ska-revival
    was definitely pretty widespread, no doubt. It's just that 90% of that stuff did
    not sound like "ska" at all.

but either way i couldn't care less about this gay ass argument.

I think you mean "girl wearing a skirt as a top ass argument"

• I think you mean "girl wearing a skirt as a top ass argument"

no i meant "gay ass argument".

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

I think you mean "girl wearing a skirt as a top ass argument"

no i meant "gay ass argument".

That's cool, dick.

BTW, are you "the king of early JA music" because you're the only one that knows "Our House" is a ska tune?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

INK...KA-DINK-KA-DINK...KA-DINK-KA-DINK...KA-DINK-KA-DINK...[/b]

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    wow those Durante jpegs are annoying as all hell.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Speaking of The Specials. They were suppose to perform in Toronto on Monday. Show was canceled.

DAMN

• Speaking of The Specials. They were suppose to perform in Toronto on Monday. Show was canceled.

DAMN

they were just in los angeles last week. great show!